Pondering the meaning of life??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
johnsamuels
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
First of all i'd like to start of by saying i am not suicidal or anything. But this mystery of life eludes me so much. So therefore i am asking this here, so please dont delete this thread moderators

I am not a religious man. Because of this, i dont believe in life after death. I believe that once we die, we cease to exist. I mean, we didnt exist before we were conceived/born, thats how it will be once we die. Thats what i believe. Dont get me wrong, i am not completely throwing away the idea of life after death. I understand that once the wisest man on the planet thought the earth was flat, but now he's proved wrong, so i am not in any position to say that life does not exist after death for sure. If one day they prove the existence of god or life after death then i might consider changing my beliefs by right now this is what i believe and i can only life by my believes. And since my belief is shared by millions of people around the world, i dont feel like i am in the minority here and that many people believe the same.

So since i believe there's nothing after we die, i dont understand the point in living. For example you might be the person with the greatest life ever, extremely rich, good looking, popular, etc.. or you could be the person with the worst life ever, a poor African kid who is starving and is abused brutally, etc...or you could be the guy who was the most evil person to walk the earth eg. Hitler or you could be a saint who helps out others eg. mother Theresa. But in the end, all of these people have the same outcome. Once they die they all cease to exist and it dont matter what they did when they lived.

So why do we bother living....why should we bother with the effort of life no matter how little the effort might be when we could all be dead and not worry about anything because we wont exist to worry about. It makes logical sense to die. But non of us want to kill ourself (unless you are suicidal). My life is pretty average and i wonder this all the time. I could end it all by dying but i dont want to. I dont know why. maybe its because i am afraid to kill my self, maybe our body is biologically designed to be afraid of death to make sure we dont kill our self, etc...

So can anyone weigh in on this..
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moved to chat
PsychadelicScarf
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
Why bother having chocolate when you can't have them any more after you've finished eating it?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.71%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.88%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.15%
I need help with my personal statement (53)
38.97%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.74%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.21%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed