This discussion is closed.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)
O2 don't give contracts to students?? I think that's BS. I had an O2 contract, with a direct debit from my own bank account.

What's more, when I recently got a 3 contract, I wasn't even asked my age or occupation -- I signed the paperwork and got the phone in about 20 minutes. I'm fairly sure it was a similar situation with O2 .... how would they even know I was a student at the time?

then you live in a differnt world to me.

love Katy ***
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
credit card "offers" from not very reputable companies. o2 don't give contracts to students (the guy lied to get me one) and my best mate had to go on T-mobile for a year before o2 would accept her. both of us have zero credit history.

love Katy ***
Doubtful.
amexblack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Doubtful.
Bhaal ... was Percy kidding, or do you really work for P4U?

If so, you're the authority around here and perhaps you could clear this up for us Does O2 refuse contracts to students?
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Doubtful.

well thats what theyre telling us at p4u in Exeter....

love Katy ***
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Bhaal ... was Percy kidding, or do you really work for P4U?

If so, you're the authority around here and perhaps you could clear this up for us Does O2 refuse contracts to students?
Well O2 direct, at the moment have accepted people who are students. However its a tad bit more complicated. All customers are credit checked, and when I sign up young eager 18 year olds I put down 'student' as their occupation, sometimes they pass sometimes they fail. The ones who pass tend to hold credit cards, and therefore have some credit rating. In conclusion, yes, O2 accept students.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well O2 direct, at the moment have accepted people who are students. However its a tad bit more complicated. All customers are credit checked, and when I sign up young eager 18 year olds I put down 'student' as their occupation, sometimes they pass sometimes they fail. The ones who pass tend to hold credit cards, and therefore have some credit rating. In conclusion, yes, O2 accept students.

ok, but it is more difficult?

love Katy ***
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
ok, but it is more difficult?

love Katy ***
Well one can only presume, that an 18 year old who holds a full time job would probably look more attractive than, a poor student with a loan to pay off. Sometimes the network ask for £150 bonds off the person, which will only be paid back after three clear payment, other times, there are restrictions on their calls.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well one can only presume, that an 18 year old who holds a full time job would probably look more attractive than, a poor student with a loan to pay off. Sometimes the network ask for £150 bonds off the person, which will only be paid back after three clear payment, other times, there are restrictions on their calls.

ahh, well i pay my bills on time so i dont think o2 mind too much that the guy in the shop lied on my behalf!

love Katy ***
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Got ya.

I got so fed up with O2 ... they don't know how to treat their customers. I managed to get the direct line for "dispute resolution" office when my new 7250i was stolen. Despite being on their O2 Max tariff (and having fairly ludicrous phone bills whilst on holiday), they refused to send me a replacement handset. I assumed new handsets would already be insured (as is the case on Orange I believe) and was flabbergasted when they told me I'd have to pay around £350 quid for a new handset. Because I was still in the first 3 months on my contract, I threatened to switch to the cheapest tariff, and just leave their network. The O2 guy thought I was kidding I guess, but that's exactly what I did O2 lost out big time ... all i'm paying them is around £12 a month now, and I only ever receive calls. My Three phone is working a dream now too.

Sorry, not blaming you ... just though I'd rant about O2.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Got ya.

I got so ****ing fed up with O2 ... they don't know how to treat their customers. I managed to get the direct line for "dispute resolution" office when my new 7250i was stolen. Despite being on their O2 Max tariff (and having fairly ludicrous phone bills whilst on holiday), they refused to send me a replacement handset. I assumed new handsets would already be insured (as is the case on Orange I believe) and was flabbergasted when they told me I'd have to pay around £350 quid for a new handset. Because I was still in the first 3 months on my contract, I threatened to switch to the cheapest tariff, and just leave their network. The O2 guy thought I was kidding I guess, but that's exactly what I did O2 lost out big time ... all i'm paying them is around £12 a month now, and I only ever receive calls. My Three phone is working a dream now too.

No O2 is crap. I used to have a contract phone but I have a main line now so it is way cheaper. I just have a pay as you go now, I spend about £5 a week on short phone calls so it is'nt too bad. I got a new phone last week, the new 6230 with video, which I aint to impressed with but it does the job.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Got ya.

I got so fed up with O2 ... they don't know how to treat their customers. I managed to get the direct line for "dispute resolution" office when my new 7250i was stolen. Despite being on their O2 Max tariff (and having fairly ludicrous phone bills whilst on holiday), they refused to send me a replacement handset. I assumed new handsets would already be insured (as is the case on Orange I believe) and was flabbergasted when they told me I'd have to pay around £350 quid for a new handset. Because I was still in the first 3 months on my contract, I threatened to switch to the cheapest tariff, and just leave their network. The O2 guy thought I was kidding I guess, but that's exactly what I did O2 lost out big time ... all i'm paying them is around £12 a month now, and I only ever receive calls. My Three phone is working a dream now too.

With Orange you pay for the insurance which is called 'Orange Care' its about £5 a month, but well worth it. If you lose your phone, or you break it, they send a new one out to you the next day.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
No O2 is crap. I used to have a contract phone but I have a main line now so it is way cheaper. I just have a pay as you go now, I spend about £5 a week on short phone calls so it is'nt too bad. I got a new phone last week, the new 6230 with video, which I aint to impressed with but it does the job.
I like the 6230 ... although I wish Nokia would create a phone the same size as the 8310 but with all the new features -- bluetooth, colour, mms, camera, etc..

By far the most cost effective network at the moment is Three. I pay £60 a month for 1000 voice minutes to any network at any time and 200 txt messages. A complete bargain! The phone i got originally was a bit crappy, a big ugly NEC thing with bad battery... but i just bought the Nokia 7600 - a very quirky phone, but lovely and nokia-ish.

There are a few problems with network coverage -- notably, at the edges of Three's own network calls tend to drop. Outside of three's own network, one can roam onto O2's network, so the overall coverage is fine for voice calls. These problems don't affect me as the 7600 can be "configured" to only roam on O2's network -- that way, I'm paying Three prices but getting O2's network

Apparently there is a tariff on Orange which gives you free calls to 0800 numbers. It is possible to use a calling card from Onetel to then make very cheap calls from your mobile (like 2p/minute to landlines and mobiles) .. but Orange from time to time blacklist these 0800 access numbers so it could be a pain sometimes.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I like the 6230 ... although I wish Nokia would create a phone the same size as the 8310 but with all the new features -- bluetooth, colour, mms, camera, etc..

By far the most cost effective network at the moment is Three. I pay £60 a month for 1000 voice minutes to any network at any time and 200 txt messages. A complete bargain! The phone i got originally was a bit crappy, a big ugly NEC thing with bad battery... but i just bought the Nokia 7600 - a very quirky phone, but lovely and nokia-ish.

There are a few problems with network coverage -- notably, at the edges of Three's own network calls tend to drop. Outside of three's own network, one can roam onto O2's network, so the overall coverage is fine for voice calls. These problems don't affect me as the 7600 can be "configured" to only roam on O2's network -- that way, I'm paying Three prices but getting O2's network

Apparently there is a tariff on Orange which gives you free calls to 0800 numbers. It is possible to use a calling card from Onetel to then make very cheap calls from your mobile (like 2p/minute to landlines and mobiles) .. but Orange from time to time blacklist these 0800 access numbers so it could be a pain sometimes.

Good for you. I looked at the 7600, it is rather weird looking indeed, but cool. It was about £70 more than the 6230 though and I had to draw the line as I hardly use my mobile.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~U~Teedy~U~)
hehe Did yours come in a posh box? My Dad's did...as well as the separate card for all the flight lounges or whatever lol...It isn't actually a great card to have in the UK - the benefits are way better for American cardholders...
it might have come in a posh box, but I was given it by itself. It is the american card ... my dad doesn't want me making £ purchases since Amex's exchange rate is crap. The best bonus was cheap upgrades on BA flights, but that's completely useless now. There is some concierge service too, but I never use it.
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ThunderCat8)
On a slightly different point, I was rejected from Nationwide to have a debit card. They told me that over the last six months I have had a lot of returned items to my account and that this means I am not allowed a debit card. The stupid thing is, I have the account as a money box. Money goes in from my job, and money comes out through the ATM machine. I can buy things with cheques (not in shops though, the person has to cash them in), but have only ever paid my parents and family money with cheques, and none of those have ever been returned. I think Nationwide are a complete load of tossers, and I advise anybody not to go there. I am applying to Natwest so that I can have a debit card as they give them out to anyone. Will be such a nice relief to finally say "Kiss my ass Nationwide" and transfer all my dosh to Natwest. .
Uh, if you haven't had anything returned, then maybe they have just made a mistake/got the wrong person etc? why not ask them about it - go to your branch with your statements from the last 6 months and show them that nothing has been returned from the last 6 months.

ive only had good experiences with nationwide so far - they even refunded me nearly £30 when i had a cheque returned - entirely my fault, they wre just being nice
rpsie
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (278)
48.01%
No (66)
11.4%
I'm not old enough (235)
40.59%

Watched Threads