General A-Level Design and Technology Thread? Watch

kotosif
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Saw these kind of threads being made for other subjects but didn't see a thread for DT so I thought I'd make one?

This thread I guess is to help others with DT revision, whether it'd be on Product Design or Resistant Materials etc. Feel free to ask any questions and hopefully someone will respond, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of A Level students taking DT on TSR.

--

I'll start off - Is anyone doing AQA AS Systems and Control? If so, what are you doing for revision? All I have are two out-of-date irrelevant textbooks that my teacher gave me which have been sort of useless, so I've pretty much had to rely on independent learning.
ifonseka
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey, i am doing my gcse's now and i have really been thinking about changing one of my Alevel subjects to D.T. i just want to know whether it is worth taking especially if i did not take it in gcse's. will i be absolutely lost? or is it a subject that if i work really hard on, i can get the hang of and do well?
MFCS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm exactly the same, there is no official A level systems and control text book for A-level. There is a GCSE one, but that is no where near detailed enough for A-Level. I know people in other schools who are doing the same subject, and they have teachers who have degrees in electronic engineering, and can help them out a lot. But for me I have to trawl through an array of websites and old electronic books. However, I recently emailed the exam complaining about how we have little revision material compared to other subjects. The exam board provided me with a list of books which may be useful, but you will probably have to buy a few of them to cover all the specification points.

Systems and Control is a hard subject in both coursework and exam. I am currently applying to university and plan on studying an IT related subject (software engineering, electronic engineering...), which often requires maths at A-Level. Nevertheless, after explaining to student enrolment staff and lectures what the subject is and what it involves (basically reciting the spec) they are happy for me to apply and have given me an offer. There are many people who excel at A-Level maths, physics etc, but get tragic results in Systems and Control. Hopefully universities will notice Systems and Control in the future as a hard subject, not a soft design and technology subject.

*This is not to say that I wouldn't recommend doing physics or maths at A-Level.

Link to revision material recommended by exam board:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-W-TRB-RL.PDF
kotosif
Rep:
?
(Original post by ifonseka)
hey, i am doing my gcse's now and i have really been thinking about changing one of my Alevel subjects to D.T. i just want to know whether it is worth taking especially if i did not take it in gcse's. will i be absolutely lost? or is it a subject that if i work really hard on, i can get the hang of and do well?
It depends on which DT topic you're planning to take really.

For me, I did Electronic Products for GCSE and now I'm doing Systems and Control for A level but it didn't require me to learn a lot of new things. If you're planning to do Product Design then I'm sure with some hard work you can get to grasps with it.

However, having said that, I think DT is a subject which does require a lot of independent learning so if you want to do DT then you have to be seriously motivated.
kotosif
Rep:
?
(Original post by MFCS)
I'm exactly the same, there is no official A level systems and control text book for A-level. There is a GCSE one, but that is no where near detailed enough for A-Level. I know people in other schools who are doing the same subject, and they have teachers who have degrees in electronic engineering, and can help them out a lot. But for me I have to trawl through an array of websites and old electronic books. However, I recently emailed the exam complaining about how we have little revision material compared to other subjects. The exam board provided me with a list of books which may be useful, but you will probably have to buy a few of them to cover all the specification points.

Systems and Control is a hard subject in both coursework and exam. I am currently applying to university and plan on studying an IT related subject (software engineering, electronic engineering...), which often requires maths at A-Level. Nevertheless, after explaining to student enrolment staff and lectures what the subject is and what it involves (basically reciting the spec) they are happy for me to apply and have given me an offer. There are many people who excel at A-Level maths, physics etc, but get tragic results in Systems and Control. Hopefully universities will notice Systems and Control in the future as a hard subject, not a soft design and technology subject.

*This is not to say that I wouldn't recommend doing physics or maths at A-Level.

Link to revision material recommended by exam board:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-W-TRB-RL.PDF
Wow nice! I'm sure this will help future students who are doing System And Control. For me though, I think it's a bit too late to buy textbooks now lol since my exam is in two days! And yeah Systems and Control is definitely not an easy subject.
ross1610
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kotosif)
Wow nice! I'm sure this will help future students who are doing System And Control. For me though, I think it's a bit too late to buy textbooks now lol since my exam is in two days! And yeah Systems and Control is definitely not an easy subject.
Hey do you have any revision material? I have the GCSE text book but thats it! I'm trying to find info on converting different types of motion as this always seems to come up. Got any info or anything that could help? Thanks!
kotosif
Rep:
?
(Original post by ross1610)
Hey do you have any revision material? I have the GCSE text book but thats it! I'm trying to find info on converting different types of motion as this always seems to come up. Got any info or anything that could help? Thanks!
For revision material I've been pretty much as lost as you, there doesn't seem to be any website that does A Level Systems and Control. But sometimes looking back at the GCSE and at the other topics such as Product Design can help a bit, especially with the materials questions!

As for mechanics, maybe this link will help you. It's for GCSE but it's still relevant.

/http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/systemscontrol/mechanismsrev8.shtml
ross1610
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For revision material I've been pretty much as lost as you, there doesn't seem to be any website that does A Level Systems and Control. But sometimes looking back at the GCSE and at the other topics such as Product Design can help a bit, especially with the materials questions!

As for mechanics, maybe this link will help you. It's for GCSE but it's still relevant.

/http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/systemscontrol/mechanismsrev8.shtml
how did you find the exam?
kotosif
Rep:
?
(Original post by ross1610)
how did you find the exam?

Erm...I think it went okay....ish. I definitely dropped some marks in section A but overall I don't think the exam was that hard. The trouble with these sorts of exams is that I never really know if I put enough detail into my answers to gain the marks. What about you?
MFCS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Erm...I think it went okay....ish. I definitely dropped some marks in section A but overall I don't think the exam was that hard. The trouble with these sorts of exams is that I never really know if I put enough detail into my answers to gain the marks. What about you?
I did the exam today and didn't find it too bad. I picked the brackets question instead of electronics and used jigs, fixtures and templates. As well as a pillar drill, vice and hammer. Did you do this question, if so how did you do it?
kotosif
Rep:
?
(Original post by MFCS)
I did the exam today and didn't find it too bad. I picked the brackets question instead of electronics and used jigs, fixtures and templates. As well as a pillar drill, vice and hammer. Did you do this question, if so how did you do it?
No, I did the electronics one, but your answer sounds good. How did you find the Section C task?
MFCS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well it consisted of many ptm switches places underneath platforms, and each car parking spot would have the same and would be all on the same rail. So that when one of them is open the pic chip then tells a high output to come on when a car is detected at the barrier. What method did you go for?
YourDeath
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Im currently doing A level Electronics and product design. Feel free to ask any questions
eggfriedrice
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did Product Design for GCSE and enjoyed it so much that I did it for AS too. My teacher didn't want me to drop it for A2 and wanted me to do it for university too haha.

To revise for the exam, I pretty much learnt every common manufacturing process as well as drew out the equipment needed for them.

For my exam board (AQA), there was also a specification list on their website. I used it as a checking list and tried to learn as much as I could from it.
kotosif
Rep:
?
(Original post by MFCS)
Well it consisted of many ptm switches places underneath platforms, and each car parking spot would have the same and would be all on the same rail. So that when one of them is open the pic chip then tells a high output to come on when a car is detected at the barrier. What method did you go for?
I used variables to count, so basically every time a car passes through it would increment A, and if A reached 30 then it wouldn't open the barrier for any more cars. I then included a short programme with a system diagram. Hopefully that would get me the marks :/
Isthisnameleft
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey all!!

Did anyone else do the AQA DT exam yesterday or was it just Product Designers, like myself?? How did you find it?? Main question that has to be asked, "Who did question 6??" "Who did question 7??"
emslouisee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Isthisnameleft)
Hey all!!

Did anyone else do the AQA DT exam yesterday or was it just Product Designers, like myself?? How did you find it?? Main question that has to be asked, "Who did question 6??" "Who did question 7??"
I took the exam too and that was the main question that I was asking! I seemed to be the only one who answered question 7 :') Other than probably messing up that question, I thought it was okay?
MFCS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I used variables to count, so basically every time a car passes through it would increment A, and if A reached 30 then it wouldn't open the barrier for any more cars. I then included a short programme with a system diagram. Hopefully that would get me the marks :/
Yeah I know of a few who used variables to count the cars. I did consider it myself but I didn't think I would be able to provide the level of detail the exam board wanted (code/flowcharts). How has your coursework gone this year?
Lilyjfisher
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Saw these kind of threads being made for other subjects but didn't see a thread for DT so I thought I'd make one?

This thread I guess is to help others with DT revision, whether it'd be on Product Design or Resistant Materials etc. Feel free to ask any questions and hopefully someone will respond, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of A Level students taking DT on TSR.

--

I'll start off - Is anyone doing AQA AS Systems and Control? If so, what are you doing for revision? All I have are two out-of-date irrelevant textbooks that my teacher gave me which have been sort of useless, so I've pretty much had to rely on independent learning.

I do A level Design and technology food technology. The coursework part is really easy if you enjoy food and it's quite easy to get a good grade in it, however if you didnt do it at GCSE it can be quite hard to understand and the exam part of the a level is really hard as its all sciencey which I hate. I wish it was all coursework. Anyone else hate food exams?!

I hope you dont mind me commenting on this thread, you probably meant people who do like woodwork and electronics and stuff to comment on it but food is classes as a design and technology and our papers are quite similar.
kotosif
Rep:
?
(Original post by MFCS)
Yeah I know of a few who used variables to count the cars. I did consider it myself but I didn't think I would be able to provide the level of detail the exam board wanted (code/flowcharts). How has your coursework gone this year?
I got 70/80 which is about 83 UMS I think. It's a bit lower than what I was hoping but it's still an A. How about you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
24.09%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.64%