Another Idiot Worrying About Sixth Form

Watch this thread
youmeatsox
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
okay so ive been accepted to a grammar school where i dont know anybody, not only this but i live in a council flat, and my dad is about to be made redundant so our financial circumstances are getting worse (im not saying this for sympathy, i just want to get some relevant advice). i dont believe in the stuck up stereotype and i know that there may be people that are not that rich, but there will most likely be people who are and im an easy target. i just wanted to know if there is anything i can do. i dont want my home life to put me off at school and i dont want to stick out more than i already do (i have a scottish accent and live in yorkshire). so any words of wisdom would be appreciated, because im sure there are loads of people that are in or have been in my situation. thanks .
ronmcd
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by youmeatsox)
okay so ive been accepted to a grammar school where i dont know anybody, not only this but i live in a council flat, and my dad is about to be made redundant so our financial circumstances are getting worse (im not saying this for sympathy, i just want to get some relevant advice). i dont believe in the stuck up stereotype and i know that there may be people that are not that rich, but there will most likely be people who are and im an easy target. i just wanted to know if there is anything i can do. i dont want my home life to put me off at school and i dont want to stick out more than i already do (i have a scottish accent and live in yorkshire). so any words of wisdom would be appreciated, because im sure there are loads of people that are in or have been in my situation. thanks .
At my grammar school there are a lot of wealthy people, but that's mainly because it's in a very middle class area. The people who aren't as rich don't feel out of place, and are usually smarter and harder working which people will respect, so if your school's anything like mine you don't need to worry about that. There's definitely no segregation based on wealth.

One important thing is to try and make friends and approach people as much as you can if you're new there. Though you'll probably get to know the other new people, most of the people who've been there since year 7 already have friends and won't bother making an effort with you. That's not to say they won't become friends with you if you try, just that they don't want to leave their comfort zones.
youmeatsox
Rep:
thanks, i'll definitely try to talk to new people! everyone tells me im being stupid but i just want to do the best i can and the fewer problems the better .
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
youmeatsox
Rep:
(Original post by German123)
Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
thats really nice, i'll keep that in mind. thanks .
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
thats really nice, i'll keep that in mind. thanks .
Its cool
Xscape
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Which grammer school is this if you don't mind me asking?
youmeatsox
Rep:
(Original post by Xscape)
Which grammer school is this if you don't mind me asking?
Crossley Heath, i think its technically called a selective school but everyone local just considers it to be grammar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (141)
40.52%
They're exactly what I expected (86)
24.71%