anonguy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm pretty sure I'm gay, had quite a few girlfriends and never felt anything at all, only attracted to guys and only want to be with a guy. Attracted to guys emotionally for a relationship and stuff and physically. I've just firmed my offer from Newcastle and was wondering what it's like to be a gay guy there? Are there many gay guys? Good gay scene? Prejudiced at all?

I'm not out as gay yet but I'm thinking of doing so at uni. I'm a really straight acting guy, rugby lad so I don't act camp or anything so that shouldn't be too much of an issue... not that I have anything against camp people. I just wanna come to uni and be myself, a genuine guy who happens to be gay and try meet others guys like me.

I'm not sure about it at all though, coming from an all boys boarding school I've seen some people be pretty homophobic in the past (not so much now) and it's a bit off putting.

Any gay guys at Newcastle Uni who wants to sure their experience? Or know any gay guys/ girls and how are they getting on? Really nervous about it all, not just coming out but the whole uni thing, and just need a bit of reassurance I think. I'll be coming out to everyone, not just people at uni since loads of people in my year have decided to come to Newcastle - think it was the most popular uni choice for my school, haha. I'm thinking in staying in Castle Leazes if that helps at all.

Cheers for any advice.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have some gay friends who go to Newcastle. I think it's fine.
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I know a lesbian who goes to Newcastle, she's been fine. Out of all the people from my school I know are going to university this year (including Newcastle) none of them have a problem with gays.
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think you'll experience homophobia at Newcastle.

No one even asks your sexuality, but if it came out in conversation, I doubt anyone would think any different about you because of it.

This isn't school - we are all grown ups and mature here.

I think this applies to every university, not just Newcastle.

I would say there is a good gay scene at Newcastle: there is an LGBT society (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2213844919/?fref=ts - ask to join maybe you can get some more information on there), and there is a gay pride festival every year, and there are lots of gay bars (that everyone is made to feel welcome in [I don't go out drinking, so this is what people have told me]).
MorganJ8
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I live just near Newcastle and it is super gay friendly There is a large gay night scene and pride is incredible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kieran-SAFC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You'll be fine mate...as fine as you would be anywhere else in the country.

Like someone's already mentioned, there's a LGBT society so joining that would be a good opportunity to meet other gay lads/lasses, might help you feel a bit more comfortable if you're worried. In fact, there's a gay lad in my sixth form who's applied for Newcastle as well.

Also, Google search 'Newcastle Pink Triangle'...it's an area of the town which has plenty of gay bars/nights on that you might be interested in. Castle Leazes your first choice for accommodation? Same here
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
University is a great place to come out, because everyone and their hamster are discovering or changing their identity. It is what university is for.

The university does have a very active LGBT group. They provide any emotional support/advice you may need and they are very active socially.

Newcastle does have an active gay scene, although those of us who have had far to many nights out there tend to refer to it as the cattle market. Some of the gay pubs/clubs are just as popular with straight students as the gay ones.
davidelliot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey mate, I'm bi and going to Newcastle for law this September. There's a few people coming up from my school for Newcastle and (rather surprisingly) most of us aren't straight! You should definitely come out at uni from the very beginning, being honest about stuff like that is always the best way to approach it and I'm sure you won't have any complaints. I'm kinda similar to you in that I'm quite straight acting and play sports (football for me though) with the notable exception that I didn't go to an all guys boarding school - lucky considering you're a gay guy, must have been great! haha Plus, tbh uni is the time when a lot of people try new things and experiment with their sexuality anyway - it's a time when people are trying to figure out who they are. I think, even if I was a straight guy, I still wouldn't want to have left uni without at least one gay experience to see what it feels like and vise versa if I was a gay guy (except a straight experience). Good luck anyway man, I'm sure you'll have a great time at uni! If you want to talk about anything you can drop me a message or something.
gabrielandrews
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm currently in my 2nd year at Newcastle Uni. I came out as gay when I got to uni and have had no problems at all really, only one "problem" in 2 years. You sounds really similar to me actually - I'm a pretty straight acting guy too, actually part of the rugby club and I even went to an all boys school (grammar school though, not boarding) down south. I stayed in Castle Leazes in first year too. There's a fantastic gay scene here but to be honest I only go to straight bars (well not really straight, but the ones that aren't gay) and clubs and had plenty of luck on nights out there. There's only one "bad" experience I can think of: when I was in first year at Castle Leazes, there was this Russian guy on my floor who was totally cool with me until I brought a guy back to my room and he didn't speak to me again but he was an *******. Most people couldn't stand him. As for Castle Leazes, I once walked in on two apparently "straight" guys snogging the face off each other if that says anything... You'll be fine man, just be yourself - nobody cares about sexuality. What position do you play out of interest? haha
anonguy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by gabrielandrews)
I'm currently in my 2nd year at Newcastle Uni. I came out as gay when I got to uni and have had no problems at all really, only one "problem" in 2 years. You sounds really similar to me actually - I'm a pretty straight acting guy too, actually part of the rugby club and I even went to an all boys school (grammar school though, not boarding) down south. I stayed in Castle Leazes in first year too. There's a fantastic gay scene here but to be honest I only go to straight bars (well not really straight, but the ones that aren't gay) and clubs and had plenty of luck on nights out there. There's only one "bad" experience I can think of: when I was in first year at Castle Leazes, there was this Russian guy on my floor who was totally cool with me until I brought a guy back to my room and he didn't speak to me again but he was an *******. Most people couldn't stand him. As for Castle Leazes, I once walked in on two apparently "straight" guys snogging the face off each other if that says anything... You'll be fine man, just be yourself - nobody cares about sexuality. What position do you play out of interest? haha
Thanks! That makes me feel better about things. I'm blind-side flanker, you?
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anonguy)
So I'm pretty sure I'm gay, had quite a few girlfriends and never felt anything at all, only attracted to guys and only want to be with a guy. Attracted to guys emotionally for a relationship and stuff and physically. I've just firmed my offer from Newcastle and was wondering what it's like to be a gay guy there? Are there many gay guys? Good gay scene? Prejudiced at all?

I'm not out as gay yet but I'm thinking of doing so at uni. I'm a really straight acting guy, rugby lad so I don't act camp or anything so that shouldn't be too much of an issue... not that I have anything against camp people. I just wanna come to uni and be myself, a genuine guy who happens to be gay and try meet others guys like me.

I'm not sure about it at all though, coming from an all boys boarding school I've seen some people be pretty homophobic in the past (not so much now) and it's a bit off putting.

Any gay guys at Newcastle Uni who wants to sure their experience? Or know any gay guys/ girls and how are they getting on? Really nervous about it all, not just coming out but the whole uni thing, and just need a bit of reassurance I think. I'll be coming out to everyone, not just people at uni since loads of people in my year have decided to come to Newcastle - think it was the most popular uni choice for my school, haha. I'm thinking in staying in Castle Leazes if that helps at all.

Cheers for any advice.
I am from the north east, work at the university, and will study at the university from September. You can trust me when I say Newcastle is very gay friendly.
vincentoswald
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't really have much to say but I'm pretty sure I'm bi and I'm coming to Newcastle this September and, although I don't play rugby, I play football (albeit rather badly). There's loads of students from all over the world so I'm sure you'll find many other gay guys. And I don't know if it's just your school that you're talking about because my boarding school, which is co-educational, isn't homophobic at all. Anyway, hope you have a gay time at uni! (Yes, that was a pun on gay )
EdmundPhilips
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I'm bi and coming to Newcastle this year although not looking to do anything with anyone because I have a beautiful girlfriend who'll be at Durham haha If you've not came out yet then this is a great opportunity for you and, as others have said, uni is the time when a lot more people are up for experimenting anyway so it should be a blast for you!
KarlTheOtaku
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pansexual and just got in for Accounting & Finance so hopefully I should see you lot around who managed to get in!
Give me a shout via Private Message if you want to ask me anything, I'm from Northumberland so I'm literally just up the road from the University so I know Newcastle fairly well! (Well, asides from the clubbing aspect...) XD
allilr
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey! I'm glad someone pointed this out to me as I think I can shed the most light, haha. I'm Luke, going into my third year and am the LGBT officer at the student Union (the person representing our LGBT+ students). I'm also 'straight acting' and went to an all boys boarding school (Radley) and used to be pretty into my rugger but haven't carried it on. I was also in castle leazes.You have nothing to worry about! Although I was out to a number of friends and family before uni I don't feel I properly came out until uni. So much easier when you don't know anyone. My advice is don't wait too long and just slip it in casually. "So do you have a girlfriend back home?" . . . "No, I like guys actually". Its as easy as that. I was in a stereotypical lads flat and they couldn't have been more accepting.We have an LGBT+ society runs weekly events. We will also be involved in campaigns this year such as an LGBT+ awareness week and talks in local schools if thats something you would want to get involved in. Newcastle itself is very excepting and has the largest gay scene in the north east. You'd probably end up going there a few times even if you weren't gay!I recommend you join the society facebook group so you can get a feel of what its about and keep informed of the events. During freshers week there will be a couple of coffee sessions during the freshers fair for LGBT+ freshers to meet eachother and the committee. There will also be a freshers bar crawl on the monday following freshers week which I really recommend!If anyone has any questions please feel free to pm me. I have also got a collection of stories form Newcastle LGBT students on their experiences of starting newcastle as LGBT. They will be avaiable here in a few weeks or you can find them on the facebook page or you can email me.Sorry if i've gone a bit over the top. Just wanted to cover all the bases. You are going to have a brilliant time so don't worry yourself! =)
allilr
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by allilr)
Hey! I'm glad someone pointed this out to me as I think I can shed the most light, haha. I'm Luke, going into my third year and am the LGBT officer at the student Union (the person representing our LGBT+ students). I'm also 'straight acting' and went to an all boys boarding school (Radley) and used to be pretty into my rugger but haven't carried it on. I was also in castle leazes.You have nothing to worry about! Although I was out to a number of friends and family before uni I don't feel I properly came out until uni. So much easier when you don't know anyone. My advice is don't wait too long and just slip it in casually. "So do you have a girlfriend back home?" . . . "No, I like guys actually". Its as easy as that. I was in a stereotypical lads flat and they couldn't have been more accepting.We have an LGBT+ society runs weekly events. We will also be involved in campaigns this year such as an LGBT+ awareness week and talks in local schools if thats something you would want to get involved in. Newcastle itself is very excepting and has the largest gay scene in the north east. You'd probably end up going there a few times even if you weren't gay!I recommend you join the society facebook group so you can get a feel of what its about and keep informed of the events. During freshers week there will be a couple of coffee sessions during the freshers fair for LGBT+ freshers to meet eachother and the committee. There will also be a freshers bar crawl on the monday following freshers week which I really recommend!If anyone has any questions please feel free to pm me. I have also got a collection of stories form Newcastle LGBT students on their experiences of starting newcastle as LGBT. They will be avaiable here in a few weeks or you can find them on the facebook page or you can email me.Sorry if i've gone a bit over the top. Just wanted to cover all the bases. You are going to have a brilliant time so don't worry yourself! =)
I am sorry but it appears the links I put in the above text have been removed. To find the society facebook group please search for 'Newcastle University LGBT Society' in facebook. For my email please search 'LGBT officer at NUSU' in google. For the Newcastle university LGBT welfare page please search for 'newcastle university student welfare' and then on the page look for LGBT+ in the sidebar. I will try and find out why these support groups aren't allowed to be linked in. Luke x
allilr
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Newcastle University LGBT+ society :http://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wellbe...LGBT/index.htm
Newcastle University LGBT+ student wellbeing :http://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wellbe...LGBT/index.htm
Newcastle University LGBT officer email :[email protected]
Etular
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just thought I'd say, in the circumstance that you did get into Newcastle and are based in Castle Leazes, I'm in the same situation at the moment of being in 1st Year at the University - I'm quite masculine, although I'm not a sportsperson, myself (although I would love to give Ice Hockey a go). As said by above posters, Newcastle University's LGBT Society is amazing.
Bobb21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well if you think you gay go with that best for you and what u want to do message me if u wanting some reassurance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads