The Student Room Group

Questions for those with coeliac disease

Are there any people with coeliac disease here? I'm working on a case study of a 20yr old who has coeliac disease for my coursework - I'm a 1st year dietetic student, and I have a few questions to ask that might be useful for my report. I promise to reference you all properly!

How did you find the transition from a gluten diet to a gluten-free diet?

Did you struggle to tell your friends or are they supportive?

Do you go out to eat often and if so, how often? Also do you find you are treated differently when you go out? Are there any specific measures you have to do to make sure it's gluten free - I think I read ASK allow you to bring gluten-free pasta which they'll cook for you.

What would you say is the main replacement staple that you eat instead of wheat?

Have you increased your dairy intake to help prevent osteoporosis?

Do you have any associated conditions with CD - Type 1 diabetes for example?

Do you go to support groups, if so how often? Do you find that others there are able to motivate you to adhere to a gluten-free diet?

When you started your treatment did you follow any behavioural theory plans - theory of planned behaviour for example? Have you had motivational interviewing?

What do you do to cope with coeliac disease?

That's all I can think of for now, if you can answer any of the questions then I'd be so grateful, because this is for students I'm hoping to have a younger perspective of coping with coeliac disease
How did you find the transition from a gluten diet to a gluten-free diet? I've was diagnosed when i was 13months old after months of being malnutritioned, so I can't really give a perspective of transitioning from a gluten diet to a gluten free diet. I've just always accepted that I have to abide by a strict gluten free diet, and as much as it sucks sometimes, that is the only way to keep healthy.

Did you struggle to tell your friends or are they supportive? I get quite nervous when I tell people I Coeliac Disease, mostly because most people don't have a clue what it it. With my friends, they all know I have a special diet, and i've always been open to answering their questions about it. All my friends are really helpful when deciding where we eat, and if i'm eating at theirs they prepare something for the group that I can eat so i'm not excluded. If any of my friends mock me or make fun of the fact that I have a medical condition, then they quickly become ex-friends....

Do you go out to eat often and if so, how often? Also do you find you are treated differently when you go out? Are there any specific measures you have to do to make sure it's gluten free? I don't eat out alot, but when I due i tend to eat at chain restaurants that offer gluten-free food, like Pizza Express and Nandos as I feel completely safe and relaxed eating there. I do tell the waiting staff I have Coeliac Disease so extra precaution needs to be made to avoid any cross-contamination. I don't like eating at pubs, or cafe's, I get very anxious about the cleanness of their kitchens, so i avoid eating at pubs as often as I can.

What would you say is the main replacement staple that you eat instead of wheat? There are a large variety of gluten-free foods on prescription, so I eat mostly them. All large supermarkets stock a pretty good selection of GF foods as well.

Have you increased your dairy intake to help prevent osteoporosis? No

Do you have any associated conditions with CD - Type 1 diabetes for example? No

Do you go to support groups, if so how often? Do you find that others there are able to motivate you to adhere to a gluten-free diet? My family used to go to Coeliac UK meetings when I was younger - after i was diagnosed, my dad, brother, and uncle were all diagnosed, so we took the change to gluten-free as a family which I would guess is a lot easier than doing it alone. But I do think meetings are a great thing for anyone newly diagnosed, there are also many gluten-free blogs ect where you can look for support.

When you started your treatment did you follow any behavioural theory plans - theory of planned behaviour for example? Have you had motivational interviewing? No

What do you do to cope with coeliac disease?
I'm never in doubt whether I should follow the diet, I know its the only way to be healthy, and do everything in life that I want to. There is never a question in my mind whether I should follow the GF diet or not.

Sorry this was super long - but hope it helped!
Thank you so much, that was really helpful! Shame I've already submitted my coursework... But you sound like a much better patient than my case study patient anyway.. :smile:
That was actually really interesting since I'd heard of coeliac disease and knew it had something to do with gluten. I knew 2 small children with it but I never really wanted to ask, thanks for sharing!!
Original post by idontevenbeth
That was actually really interesting since I'd heard of coeliac disease and knew it had something to do with gluten. I knew 2 small children with it but I never really wanted to ask, thanks for sharing!!

No problem! :biggrin: I found it really interesting learning more about coeliac disease, I didn't know much about it before

Quick Reply

Latest