The Student Room Group

What Should I do? (a-levels)

I am not quite sure of what to do at Uni. I want to do either a science subject or a social science subject. The main ones that I am thinking of is Psychology, Midwifery, Medicine, Pharmacy. I have applied for Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Psychology. However I've been told that medical schools look down on psychology. At the college I am going to I can still change them so am thinking of changing it to Further Maths (I also have heard how hard psychology is and I am quite good at maths so I think I would find it easier). Not sure what to do though? Thanks
Emily xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You seem confused .. Do you want to be a medical psychologist ?
Reply 2
Original post by emilyyvictoria
I am not quite sure of what to do at Uni. I want to do either a science subject or a social science subject. The main ones that I am thinking of is Psychology, Midwifery, Medicine, Pharmacy. I have applied for Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Psychology. However I've been told that medical schools look down on psychology. At the college I am going to I can still change them so am thinking of changing it to Further Maths (I also have heard how hard psychology is and I am quite good at maths so I think I would find it easier). Not sure what to do though? Thanks
Emily xx

Nothings easy hun. Do what you want to become, think about your future. Use your time wisely and don't do something that may put you off. You wont have this much time so watch out! :smile:
Reply 3
further maths is seen as half an A level by some universities. However if you decide to go for psychology in the end Maths could be more useful than psychology. Psychology at university is quite scientific and you get lower offers with science A levels.

You need to start arranging some work or voluntary experience to sort out what you do want to study. It will be essential if you want to apply for medicine or clinical psychology.
Reply 4
Emily xx

If you do further maths you'll be doing probably 8 hours of maths a weeks, so if you like maths obviously that's fine, but I have friends who hate it. Med schools probably would prefer FM tbh, but don't just take it for the sake of uni, if you don't enjoy it you won't do well. Also, as long as you don't mind writing essays psychology isn't too hard :smile:

Hope this helps (I do psychology, german and maths, did chem AS last year, and am doing FM AS this, so feel free to ask if you want to know anything :smile: )
Reply 5
Original post by Sevda94
Nothings easy hun. Do what you want to become, think about your future. Use your time wisely and don't do something that may put you off. You wont have this much time so watch out! :smile:

Thank you! I've just had so many people try to put me off. I'm not really sure what I want to become, I change my career path every other month, hopefully when the time comes I will know. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by suedonim
further maths is seen as half an A level by some universities. However if you decide to go for psychology in the end Maths could be more useful than psychology. Psychology at university is quite scientific and you get lower offers with science A levels.

You need to start arranging some work or voluntary experience to sort out what you do want to study. It will be essential if you want to apply for medicine or clinical psychology.

Thank you! I didn't know you needed experience for clinical psychology. Do you know much about getting work experience for either clinical psychology or medicine? Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by demx9
You seem confused .. Do you want to be a medical psychologist ?

I've changed career paths a lot, it would either be a paediatric clinical psychologist or a paediatric doctor. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ninaballet
If you do further maths you'll be doing probably 8 hours of maths a weeks, so if you like maths obviously that's fine, but I have friends who hate it. Med schools probably would prefer FM tbh, but don't just take it for the sake of uni, if you don't enjoy it you won't do well. Also, as long as you don't mind writing essays psychology isn't too hard :smile:

Hope this helps (I do psychology, german and maths, did chem AS last year, and am doing FM AS this, so feel free to ask if you want to know anything :smile: )

Thank you! I do really enjoy maths, at the moment I do about 6-7 hours a week (I do GCSE maths, FSMQ Additional Maths and GCSE Statistics) and I don't find that too bad, in fact I do enjoy it. And yes the essays are my main worry about psychology, at GCSE most of my subjects are very factual so the longest essay I've ever had to write (in exams) is 12 marks. What careers do you think you may do in the future? :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you! I do really enjoy maths, at the moment I do about 6-7 hours a week (I do GCSE maths, FSMQ Additional Maths and GCSE Statistics) and I don't find that too bad, in fact I do enjoy it. And yes the essays are my main worry about psychology, at GCSE most of my subjects are very factual so the longest essay I've ever had to write (in exams) is 12 marks. What careers do you think you may do in the future? :smile:

You'll probably enjoy FM then :smile: Year 12 psych you get 1 12 mark essay per exam, but year 13 it's mainly 24 markers (AQA, although I think others are similar) although they're not as bad as they sound, I hate essays and I've got used to them now :smile:
I'm hopefully studying Psychology in Education at uni next year, then hoping to go into clinical/educational psychology I think!
You'll probably enjoy FM then :smile: Year 12 psych you get 1 12 mark essay per exam, but year 13 it's mainly 24 markers (AQA, although I think others are similar) although they're not as bad as they sound, I hate essays and I've got used to them now :smile:
I'm hopefully studying Psychology in Education at uni next year, then hoping to go into clinical/educational psychology I think!

Thank You! They don't sound that fun, hopefully I would get used to them then. Do you find it hard to remember everything (apparently there are a lot of case studies)?
That sounds really cool. Which Universities have you applied to?
And do you know anything about work experience for psychology?
Thank you again, Emily :smile:
Thank You! They don't sound that fun, hopefully I would get used to them then. Do you find it hard to remember everything (apparently there are a lot of case studies)?
That sounds really cool. Which Universities have you applied to?
And do you know anything about work experience for psychology?
Thank you again, Emily :smile:

I don't find it too hard, Year 12 has quite a lot of studies to remember but you don't need to write the theories in as much detail, whereas Year 13 it's a lot more applying general ideas to theories which is less to remember.

I applied to Royal Holloway, Lancaster, Durham, have Lincoln as my insurance offer and York as my firm offer, so hopefully I'll be there in September.

I haven't done any specific Psychology work experience, I volunteered in a primary school, and worked quite a lot with SEN children, and I also do a lot of online volunteering with a charity called YouthNet, who provide help for 16-25 year olds, so I do quite a lot of stuff about mental health with them. I reckon you'd be best trying charities, any 'proper' psychology work, in hospitals or whatever require you to be 18 I think.
I don't find it too hard, Year 12 has quite a lot of studies to remember but you don't need to write the theories in as much detail, whereas Year 13 it's a lot more applying general ideas to theories which is less to remember.

I applied to Royal Holloway, Lancaster, Durham, have Lincoln as my insurance offer and York as my firm offer, so hopefully I'll be there in September.

I haven't done any specific Psychology work experience, I volunteered in a primary school, and worked quite a lot with SEN children, and I also do a lot of online volunteering with a charity called YouthNet, who provide help for 16-25 year olds, so I do quite a lot of stuff about mental health with them. I reckon you'd be best trying charities, any 'proper' psychology work, in hospitals or whatever require you to be 18 I think.

Thank you! And that's good, a lot of people decided to scare me by saying there was 140 case studies for A2.
And they sound like good universities. Both my parents went to york :smile:
I did do work experience in a primary school where I worked with the children with special needs, also I used to volunteer in a Youth Centre and at the moment volunteer with Brownies. I'll have a look at YouthNet, thank you! :smile:
Thank you! And that's good, a lot of people decided to scare me by saying there was 140 case studies for A2.
And they sound like good universities. Both my parents went to york :smile:
I did do work experience in a primary school where I worked with the children with special needs, also I used to volunteer in a Youth Centre and at the moment volunteer with Brownies. I'll have a look at YouthNet, thank you! :smile:

There's nowhere near that many don't worry!!

That work experience all sounds good, none of the courses I looked at asked for specific work experience anyway so you should be ok :smile:
There's nowhere near that many don't worry!!

That work experience all sounds good, none of the courses I looked at asked for specific work experience anyway so you should be ok :smile:

Thank You! :smile:
Reply 15
Thank you! I didn't know you needed experience for clinical psychology. Do you know much about getting work experience for either clinical psychology or medicine? Thanks :smile:

Well you'd probably get onto a psych undergrad course without work experience but becoming a clinical psychologist is probably harder than becoming a doctor with few people getting onto the training without a lot of work experience. So if you're thnking clinical psychology do medicine instead :smile: There's a great wiki guide for medicine on this site. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine_work_experience
Have a look at voluntary work to see what you prefer and then that make your decision but on the other hand can you change subjects half way through

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Emily xx

For medicine, some universities don't count further maths as a 4th AS so you'd have to be careful if you did apply to medicine about which universities would accept your application.
I did maths, bio, chem and psyc (dropping maths at A2) it really makes NO DIFFERENCE I got all of my 4 interviews and 3 offers for medicine :smile: people say that but in reality universities just look to make sure you have the requirements (chem and bio) maths is an okay a-level but not essential. My biggest advice is do something you enjoy and you will do well in it to impress the unis (I got a 99% average for psyc and it looked far more impressive than the B I probably would have gotten if I had done Physics) also I find psychology quite applicable to some areas of medicine, I have a friend who's sister is doing medicine and she borrows my friends psyc notes! good luck!
Original post by cloud9medic
I did maths, bio, chem and psyc (dropping maths at A2) it really makes NO DIFFERENCE I got all of my 4 interviews and 3 offers for medicine :smile: people say that but in reality universities just look to make sure you have the requirements (chem and bio) maths is an okay a-level but not essential. My biggest advice is do something you enjoy and you will do well in it to impress the unis (I got a 99% average for psyc and it looked far more impressive than the B I probably would have gotten if I had done Physics) also I find psychology quite applicable to some areas of medicine, I have a friend who's sister is doing medicine and she borrows my friends psyc notes! good luck!

Thank you so much! very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest