The Student Room Group

Looking for someone to drive around the USA with. Next summer.

Hello people,

I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone wants to do this.

I'm planning on going to the USA next summer for a humongous road trip - potentially buying a car and spending several months driving everywhere. East coast, Southern States, West Coast, maybe Canada too.

You'll need at least a few thousand £ in the bank, you must be dedicated (as in, you aren't going to get homesick and leave after 3 weeks) and ideally you'll be around my age (23).

I intend to go at the start of April - this'll give us a year to make plans, sort everything out, save up a good amount of money etc.

I haven't really made any solid plans yet as I haven't met anyone that would like to come. But if you think you might be up for it let me know.

Thank you

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Jjj90
Hello people,

I'm planning on going to the USA next summer for a humongous road trip - potentially buying a car and spending several months driving everywhere. East coast, Southern States, West Coast, maybe Canada too.

You'll need at least a few thousand £ in the bank, you must be dedicated (as in, you aren't going to get homesick and leave after 3 weeks) and ideally you'll be around my age (23).

I intend to go at the start of April - this'll give us a year to make plans, sort everything out, save up a good amount of money etc.

I haven't really made any solid plans yet as I haven't met anyone that would like to come. But if you think you might be up for it let me know.

Thank you

Just saw your post on Lonely Planet and thought, hey, there's a guy on TSR with that username. I wonder if they're the same person.

I don't know if this is awesome or sad....

I'm interested in travelling the US at some point. New York/Boston/Philly/New England coast, then the south (Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta and New Orleans - all because of their music heritage). I wouldn't like to go without going to those parts of the south. I'd like to do the West Coast to, into Canada (BC).

What are you estimating the very rough cost to be?

My primary travelling interests right now are Europe, North Africa and Istanbul to Kathmandu, plus the Inca trail. I'm going to need quite a lot of money for that. But I'm interested.
Reply 2
Original post by River85
Just saw your post on Lonely Planet and thought, hey, there's a guy on TSR with that username. I wonder if they're the same person.

I don't know if this is awesome or sad....

I'm interested in travelling the US at some point. New York/Boston/Philly/New England coast, then the south (Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta and New Orleans - all because of their music heritage). I wouldn't like to go without going to those parts of the south. I'd like to do the West Coast to, into Canada (BC).

What are you estimating the very rough cost to be?

My primary travelling interests right now are Europe, North Africa and Istanbul to Kathmandu, plus the Inca trail. I'm going to need quite a lot of money for that. But I'm interested.

Yes that's me on Lonely Planet hah.

As a very rough cost i'd say... if there were a few of us, probably a few grand each, although i'd likely try and save more like £4k - £5k because I really don't want money to be a constraint. The biggest mystery for me at this stage is car insurance and the cost of renting a car, I wanted to buy a car but apparently renting is a much better option so i'll likely do that. There's a lot to work out, i've given myself a whole year to sort it all out though.

If I met someone that really wanted to come but could only spare a couple of grand i'd be more than happy to pay for all the petrol or pay most towards the car.
Reply 3
Original post by Jjj90

As a very rough cost i'd say... if there were a few of us, probably a few grand each, although i'd likely try and save more like £4k - £5k because I really don't want money to be a constraint. The biggest mystery for me at this stage is car insurance and the cost of renting a car, I wanted to buy a car but apparently renting is a much better option so i'll likely do that. There's a lot to work out, i've given myself a whole year to sort it all out though.

If I met someone that really wanted to come but could only spare a couple of grand i'd be more than happy to pay for all the petrol or pay most towards the car.

If your going for 2+ months I think buying is the better option. Can resell it potentially at the same price when your done and then youve only payed for petrol. I know a guy who bought one for 3 months and it worked out well.
Reply 4
Just a word of advice, renting a car will difficult and costly seeing as you are under 25. Sounds like a great trip though, I've been dreaming of doing this for quite a while now.
Reply 5
Original post by Swanbow
Just a word of advice, renting a car will difficult and costly seeing as you are under 25. Sounds like a great trip though, I've been dreaming of doing this for quite a while now.

Yeah, hopefully it'll be within my price range. I will be 25 in summer next year so I could always knock it back to June if that makes a big difference.
Reply 6
Original post by Jjj90

4k is reasonable, I can do that. I'm interested if some of the South was included.

I'd love to travel East and Southern Africa, Australia, and the Silk Road (Central Europe into Nepal). Plus Central America would be nice. So the US/BC, plus the Silk Road, will probably suffice for 2015/16. Europe and North Africa I can do during my working years. Eastern and Southern Africa can also wait until later in life, if I ever have the chance later in life. Australia and NZ I'll probably never do.

How long were you thinking of taking? Do you need to be back for anything by September?
Reply 7
Original post by River85
4k is reasonable, I can do that. I'm interested if some of the South was included.

I'd love to travel East and Southern Africa, Australia, and the Silk Road (Central Europe into Nepal). Plus Central America would be nice. So the US/BC, plus the Silk Road, will probably suffice for 2015/16. Europe and North Africa I can do during my working years. Eastern and Southern Africa can also wait until later in life, if I ever have the chance later in life. Australia and NZ I'll probably never do.

How long were you thinking of taking? Do you need to be back for anything by September?

Yeah, I definitely want to spend some time in the south, driving along the gulf coast and into Texas on the way to California. A tourist can stay in the USA for 90 days (although I believe that can be extended) so I was thinking 3 months in the US and one month in Canada.

So you could say that it would roughly split up like this:

Month 1: East Coast - New York, Washington etc, then west to Minnesota and then heading South.
Month 2: South - So, to Florida via St Louis/ Atlanta, then heading west all the way to California via the Southern states.
Month 3: West Coast - Colorado, Arizona, LA, then up to Seattle.
Month 4: Driving east through Canada, via Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and on to the great lakes etc.

But obviously that's a very loose plan that i've formed in my head and obviously if you do want to come along then you'll have a huge input in where we go, and which route we take to get there. The only places that I absolutely must visit are New York and Los Angeles, I'd love to go and watch the LA Dodgers. I'm into history too so i'd like to visit Gettysburg and the Alamo and the old Wild West too :smile:

No I won't need to be back for September. I have a run of the mill job but i'm going to quit next year - the reason I want to do this trip next year is that I want to go travelling before I embark on my career, there is nothing tying me down right now so if I don't do it soon the chance might pass me by.
Reply 8
Original post by Jjj90
Yeah, I definitely want to spend some time in the south, driving along the gulf coast and into Texas on the way to California. A tourist can stay in the USA for 90 days (although I believe that can be extended) so I was thinking 3 months in the US and one month in Canada.

So you could say that it would roughly split up like this:

Month 1: East Coast - New York, Washington etc, then west to Minnesota and then heading South.
Month 2: South - So, to Florida via St Louis/ Atlanta, then heading west all the way to California via the Southern states.
Month 3: West Coast - Colorado, Arizona, LA, then up to Seattle.
Month 4: Driving east through Canada, via Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and on to the great lakes etc.

Sounds alright! Obviously a lot to be planned (and some of what is planned won't come to fruition due to car breakdown/accidents/illness/weather, so plans need to be adaptable) but in theory that sounds good. My ideal itinerary, just highlighting the main sites, which is likely the same: -

*East Coast (New York, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Lake Michigan, Minnesota and Lake Superior)
*South (Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Dyess AK, Texas, Colorado, into AZ for Grand Canyon, Vegas)
*West Coast (LA, Death Valley, San Fran up to Seattle).
*Canada (around BC and across to Toronto via Calgary, Winnipeg - second visit to Great Lakes),

Would you be looking to do the driving yourself, or looking for others to help out? It's A LOT of driving as I'm sure you're aware.

Realistically, don't you think some of it would need to be done by train (maybe renting the two cars?). Especially from Minnesota to Tennessee?

No I won't need to be back for September. I have a run of the mill job but i'm going to quit next year - the reason I want to do this trip next year is that I want to go travelling before I embark on my career, there is nothing tying me down right now so if I don't do it soon the chance might pass me by.

OK. I'm a few years older and looking to return to university eventually to do a Masters in Social Work. Or at least take some time out to travel before starting my career proper, even if I don't go into social work.

I can take the entire year (summer 2015 to summer 2016) out to travel if necessary.

Chances are, if I were to travel the US next summer, I'd come back in the autumn to work and volunteer, apply for uni, then do my Silk Road trip in Spring/summer 2016. Travelling Europe and North Africa can wait.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to start the trip before very late June. I work as an Educational Support Worker and, although students will be doing (or finished) exams, so I likely won't have work, I still need to be around. Holiday can only be taken in the summer once term finishes. Would this be an issue?

I think July to late October would be best. I know how hot and humid the South and CA can be in August/early September. At least September/October is a little cooler, though wetter.

Apart from cost (I have money. But I'd be hesitant spending more than 5k. For a full tour of the US, plus a bit of Canada, I'd be willing to go a couple of k over budget), and that I probably can't leave till July, the only other problem I can forsee is some problems it might cause with important voluntary work which will mean summer 2016 would be a better time for me to do this. But I should get clarification on that in the next couple of months.
Reply 9
Original post by River85
Sounds alright! Obviously a lot to be planned (and some of what is planned won't come to fruition due to car breakdown/accidents/illness/weather, so plans need to be adaptable) but in theory that sounds good. My ideal itinerary, just highlighting the main sites, which is likely the same: -

*East Coast (New York, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Lake Michigan, Minnesota and Lake Superior)
*South (Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Dyess AK, Texas, Colorado, into AZ for Grand Canyon, Vegas)
*West Coast (LA, Death Valley, San Fran up to Seattle).
*Canada (around BC and across to Toronto via Calgary, Winnipeg - second visit to Great Lakes),

Would you be looking to do the driving yourself, or looking for others to help out? It's A LOT of driving as I'm sure you're aware.

Realistically, don't you think some of it would need to be done by train (maybe renting the two cars?). Especially from Minnesota to Tennessee?

OK. I'm a few years older and looking to return to university eventually to do a Masters in Social Work. Or at least take some time out to travel before starting my career proper, even if I don't go into social work.

I can take the entire year (summer 2015 to summer 2016) out to travel if necessary.

Chances are, if I were to travel the US next summer, I'd come back in the autumn to work and volunteer, apply for uni, then do my Silk Road trip in Spring/summer 2016. Travelling Europe and North Africa can wait.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to start the trip before very late June. I work as an Educational Support Worker and, although students will be doing (or finished) exams, so I likely won't have work, I still need to be around. Holiday can only be taken in the summer once term finishes. Would this be an issue?

I think July to late October would be best. I know how hot and humid the South and CA can be in August/early September. At least September/October is a little cooler, though wetter.

Apart from cost (I have money. But I'd be hesitant spending more than 5k. For a full tour of the US, plus a bit of Canada, I'd be willing to go a couple of k over budget), and that I probably can't leave till July, the only other problem I can forsee is some problems it might cause with important voluntary work which will mean summer 2016 would be a better time for me to do this. But I should get clarification on that in the next couple of months.

Well looks like we want to go to a lot of the same places which is a great start. I was hoping that we would all share the driving, would you be happy with that? And yes, I suppose one of the positives about renting is that we could rent a new car every month or so, or at least a couple over the duration of the trip which would free us up to take a train - but I've heard that the longer you rent a car the better the rates, so decisions are to be made and research to be done.

I'd be more than happy to knock it back to July if that suits you, it would allow me to save up a little extra money and i'll be 25 which may make a difference with insurance prices as the other poster suggested. I am very flexible but if i'm honest i'd rather not push it back to 2016 if it can be helped, it's just a little too long to wait.
Original post by Jjj90
Well looks like we want to go to a lot of the same places which is a great start. I was hoping that we would all share the driving, would you be happy with that? And yes, I suppose one of the positives about renting is that we could rent a new car every month or so, or at least a couple over the duration of the trip which would free us up to take a train

Well, I don't actually drive which I realise could be a major problem and why I asked! If we were able to get maybe four people, share the driving between three, and I could cover a more of the fuel to make things a bit fairer?

I might be driving by next summer, you never know, but I wouldn't count on it.

but I've heard that the longer you rent a car the better the rates, so decisions are to be made and research to be done.

True. I'm just thinking of car parking as well. I imagine parking will be difficult in cities like New York. So maybe do the North East Megalopolis by train (as they're fairly short distances anyway), then car from Washington to Chicago, then either the same car, or a new one, to the Great Lakes then down to the south?

I'd be more than happy to knock it back to July if that suits you, it would allow me to save up a little extra money and i'll be 25 which may make a difference with insurance prices as the other poster suggested. I am very flexible but if i'm honest i'd rather not push it back to 2016 if it can be helped, it's just a little too long to wait.

Oh, yeah. I'm fine with next year generally. I'd prefer it to 2016. Time is getting on for me! There's only the one possibly problem.

I'm hoping to start volunteering with Victim Support until July next year. The problem is if I'm supporting a victim of crime, or witness, in quite a complex long court case which would extend past July. But I'll discuss it with them and see if leaving next July would be an issue.

You sure 5k is enough? What are you think about for accommodation?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
£5k should be enough if we're splitting petrol payments and for the car. I mean petrol isn't actually that costly for instance, especially split three ways. (I might be able to save more than that anyway) - I'm hoping I can get my dad to pay for flights hah.

My original idea was to buy a car and then when we run out of money just come home, but that isn't practical if we're renting, plus i'd rather do the whole trip. If we can find a third person with an American address buying a car might be a possibility... apparently it's hard to get insurance without a US address.

As for accommodation I suppose we'd find motels and cheap hotels whilst in the cities, I wouldn't mind taking a tent to be honest for when we're on the road, I certainly wouldn't expect a bed every night. I'm not sure though, i'm going to have to make a list of things to research. For me the cheapest way is the best way, I don't know about you but i'd sleep in a field if it was all that was on offer but i'm not sure how practical that is.

I think three people would be ideal, I wouldn't mind splitting driving between two. I just think it might be a bit cramped in one car with four of us. But hey, this would be a great reason to aim for that driving licence wouldn't it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i'm looking at www.alamo.co.uk, this is a car rental website. To rent a Chevy Spark would cost about £2000, that's with two drivers, now imagine that we were to travel 15,000 miles (as a rough estimate), that would be around £1500 in fuel. So if we add all that together and split it three ways that'll be £1300 - £1500 each for the whole journey, which isn't bad in my mind. Although I'm not sure about insurance, that rental covers insurance, but whether or not additional insurance is necessary i'll have to find out. I'm being speculative with these sums, actually i'm trying to overstate the prices.

So I think with £5k this should be very do-able. Put £1000 aside for accomidation, then £1500 aside for food and miscellaneous, £500 for travel insurance (again, speculative).

I'm just trying to form a very rough outline of the cost of it all at this stage so don't quote me on those figures, i'm just thinking out loud really.
Reply 12
Having a look around and it does look as if accommodation will be the single biggest hurdle... it'll certainly be the biggest cost, I might dedicate £2000 - £3000 to accommodation alone, just to be sure. It's a good thing I have a year or more to prepare!
Hey, are you after guys or gals for this trip?

I'm possibly financially in a position to do this trip...

I also have free accommodation available [family and good friends] in Vancouver, Whitehorse in the Yukon (probably a bit far lol), possibly Houston [Texas] if my brother-in-law is still my brother lol, Seattle, Miami, Missouri, and a place near Calgary...and possibly Toronto too. I also have free accommodation available in Las Vegas and Orange County - with the use of a car if my uncle isn't using it at the time. My uncle also has private club memberships in Las Vegas, and he thinks he's in his 20s so loves a party... so if you're wanting to see the best nightlife in Las Vegas, he'll make sure that happens lol.
I'm able to drive and my uncle would let us use one of his addresses for insurance purposes I expect (I'd have to check. If he didn't, I expect one of my cousins would probably be alright doing so).... I do think buying an old car/truck would be the way to go... they could check local markets for us, if they didn't mind. Also, one of my American cousin is going around the States with her band at the moment, touring... so I can always ask her questions if you have any.
This is a trip I would love to do - but 1; I'm a girl so don't know how you'd feel about that?... and 2; I'm looking at becoming self-employed from this summer and, as such, don't know how much money I'll be able to save until probably 6 months has gone by. I've got plenty saved at the moment - but that is to pay for a house!

I've done a road trip already (The Klondike Loop) which involved 3 nights sleeping in the back of a truck with my friend in sleeping bags... Was, honestly, the best experience. We made fire, we ate crap, we pee'd in bushes. Haha, it was amazing. But I would love to tour the US, if I could.

If you want my email, PM me and we can always chat more and exchange emails. Cheers!
Reply 14
Original post by farmgirl1990
Hey, are you after guys or gals for this trip?

I'm possibly financially in a position to do this trip...

I also have free accommodation available [family and good friends] in Vancouver, Whitehorse in the Yukon (probably a bit far lol), possibly Houston [Texas] if my brother-in-law is still my brother lol, Seattle, Miami, Missouri, and a place near Calgary...and possibly Toronto too. I also have free accommodation available in Las Vegas and Orange County - with the use of a car if my uncle isn't using it at the time. My uncle also has private club memberships in Las Vegas, and he thinks he's in his 20s so loves a party... so if you're wanting to see the best nightlife in Las Vegas, he'll make sure that happens lol.
I'm able to drive and my uncle would let us use one of his addresses for insurance purposes I expect (I'd have to check. If he didn't, I expect one of my cousins would probably be alright doing so).... I do think buying an old car/truck would be the way to go... they could check local markets for us, if they didn't mind. Also, one of my American cousin is going around the States with her band at the moment, touring... so I can always ask her questions if you have any.
This is a trip I would love to do - but 1; I'm a girl so don't know how you'd feel about that?... and 2; I'm looking at becoming self-employed from this summer and, as such, don't know how much money I'll be able to save until probably 6 months has gone by. I've got plenty saved at the moment - but that is to pay for a house!

I've done a road trip already (The Klondike Loop) which involved 3 nights sleeping in the back of a truck with my friend in sleeping bags... Was, honestly, the best experience. We made fire, we ate crap, we pee'd in bushes. Haha, it was amazing. But I would love to tour the US, if I could.

If you want my email, PM me and we can always chat more and exchange emails. Cheers!

Hello there,

Yes, you're certainly welcome! Especially if you're up for the whole duration. Having family in the states would be a huge help, I think buying a car would save us a good chunk of money.

Are there any places you'd like to visit in particular? I suppose we'll each have our own mini bucket-lists for the trip.

I'm similar to you in that i'm not sure how much i'll be able to save but i'm hoping that it will be more than I need, I want to over-budget.

But sure, if you think you'll be able to take a few months out then you're welcome, absolutely.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jjj90

Are there any places you'd like to visit in particular? I suppose we'll each have our own mini bucket-lists for the trip.

I definitely want to see New York - like, a lot! And possibly New Orleans, as my sister has been there and says it's an incredible place to see vibrant communities and amazing food. Anywhere with spectacular views when driving - Montana or Colorado or something. But other then that, the whole of the US fascinates me. I'm one of those people that are happy wherever we go.
Oh, I also may have accommodation on Alabama.

The only thing that worries me is the visa process. Canada is SO MUCH EASIER (spent 3 months there) than the US. US can be a bitch and cost a fortune, I've been told. :/
Also... just got a reply from my friend when I asked her about the cost of her trip, including fuel.
Her reply "So. That's a really tricky question....We only drove around California which we did pacific coast highway 1 from San Fran down to LA then from LA we drove over to Las Vegas and from Vegas up to Yosemite but had to take a 200 mile detour due to the Forrest being on fire haha. It didn't cost anywhere near as much as I thought it was going to in fuel but I don't remember how much exactly we did spend - perhaps $250-$300 each? But I'm not sure... I could probably look into it more if you would like :smile:." - I've asked her to look into more details of the overall costs. She rented a campavan thingy for a month.
Original post by Jjj90
£5k should be enough if we're splitting petrol payments and for the car. I mean petrol isn't actually that costly for instance, especially split three ways. (I might be able to save more than that anyway) - I'm hoping I can get my dad to pay for flights hah.

I did some research before and was surprised that petrol wasn't quite as expensive as I thought. As I said, if I go I'd be willing to pay a little more for petrol if I don't drive.

Costs can broadly be subdivided into the following, can't they? : -

Flights
Travel insurance
Health insurance/Medical cover
Fuel
Car
Accommodation
Food
Spending money

Am I missing something?

My original idea was to buy a car and then when we run out of money just come home, but that isn't practical if we're renting, plus i'd rather do the whole trip. If we can find a third person with an American address buying a car might be a possibility... apparently it's hard to get insurance without a US address.

Buying a car seems risky, but I'll certainly look into it and see if it would be better financially. I'd just be concerned about it breaking down/being unreliable. Plus, like I said, whether having a car is really viable in the really big cities. Or whether combining car rental and train, or just keeping with car rental, is better. So things to look into.

As for accommodation I suppose we'd find motels and cheap hotels whilst in the cities, I wouldn't mind taking a tent to be honest for when we're on the road, I certainly wouldn't expect a bed every night. I'm not sure though, i'm going to have to make a list of things to research. For me the cheapest way is the best way, I don't know about you but i'd sleep in a field if it was all that was on offer but i'm not sure how practical that is.

Tent seems fine. I love camping. Well, not too sure about the American wildlife but there you go!

Don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but there is cabin type accommodation with basically just a mattress and shared bathroom facilities. You bring your own sleeping bag. I think they tend to be 20 dollars a night. Plus there's also hotel vouchers and stuff.

I think three people would be ideal, I wouldn't mind splitting driving between two. I just think it might be a bit cramped in one car with four of us. But hey, this would be a great reason to aim for that driving licence wouldn't it?

Perhaps. I have epilepsy (well controlled since diagnosis in 2003). I can technically drive in this country, partly because my seizures are controlled but also because I don't lose consciousness during one, there's always that very small risk. Plus I have dyspraxia, which doesn't help when learning to drive and driving generally. Realistically driving is just something I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with, or at least not doing for the best part of a decade. So, if it's a problem, I understand.

So i'm looking at www.alamo.co.uk, this is a car rental website. To rent a Chevy Spark would cost about £2000, that's with two drivers, now imagine that we were to travel 15,000 miles (as a rough estimate), that would be around £1500 in fuel. So if we add all that together and split it three ways that'll be £1300 - £1500 each for the whole journey, which isn't bad in my mind. Although I'm not sure about insurance, that rental covers insurance, but whether or not additional insurance is necessary i'll have to find out. I'm being speculative with these sums, actually i'm trying to overstate the prices.

So I think with £5k this should be very do-able. Put £1000 aside for accomidation, then £1500 aside for food and miscellaneous, £500 for travel insurance (again, speculative).

I'm just trying to form a very rough outline of the cost of it all at this stage so don't quote me on those figures, i'm just thinking out loud really.

Yeah, I think more like 1.5k to 2k is a realistic sum for accommodation, and that's even with a lot of camping. I may be over-estimating though.

But I can afford my share. There should be no worries there. Don't want to spend all my savings as I have other travel to do, but I don't mind it taking up two thirds of what I have.
Original post by farmgirl1990

The only thing that worries me is the visa process. Canada is SO MUCH EASIER (spent 3 months there) than the US. US can be a bitch and cost a fortune, I've been told. :/

Isn't it possible to enter under the Visa Waiver Programme with a British passport (and being a British citizen)? Maximum stay is 90 days usually.
Reply 19
Original post by Jjj90
Hello people,

Thank you

Oh Dear! That's basically my dream since I was 14!!!:redface:

Quick Reply