The Student Room Group

A-Level - Revision help needed - URGENT

Hello. I am a student studying in my first year of sixth form, and boy has it been a tough ride thus far.

My 2 week holiday is reaching it's end and I have exams in a matter of weeks. The subjects that I study are all of a tough variety - English Literature, History and Chemistry (and General Studies, but that's not important). Throughout the year I have been doing relatively well in class for the most part, I am doing very well in American History and English to an extent, however in British History we have had no practise at all and in Chemistry my performance in exams are less-than stellar at best.

The teachers at my sixth form always remind us how important revision and independent study is at this level, and I fear that this is where my issue lies - I have a startling inability to revise at home. Don't get the wrong idea, I have revised quite a lot throughout this year, albeit irregularly. It is not until now that I have fully figured out my problem - at home I cannot revise AT ALL. Before anyone asks, distractions such as phones are not a big problem for me. What is, however, is this: For starters, I am NEVER motivated to revise at home - if I am on a free period at school I work very hard much like in class, but at home I just push it back and procrastinate all day until it is too late. Next, when I actually manage to summon the willpower to revise it is not effective to me at all - I usually find it difficult to concentrate and often find myself daydreaming for some time. Not only this, but these textbooks that are supposed to help I find no use for - I read them but it is difficult for me to comprehend, and I take no information from it. I struggle to write notes from the textbooks - I just cannot concisely put down what the book has any more.
These are all major problems for me. I figured that practical work such as past papers work well for me - if I have to keep writing and work then I can do good, however, more problems reside here - if I am stuck for instance, usually I will lose faith in the paper and just give up. The questions in textbooks I find obscure and useless to my needs, and in the case of English, reading the texts again and writing points I can do for the text provides no use to me at all.

I understand this is a lot to take in, but someone please help - it may be too late for this year now, but I need advice to revise for the remainder of weeks and the coming year - I must do well on all of my tests.
Thank you.
Reply 1
Someone PLEASE help I need this!
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Original post by RetroChaos
bump

what board do you do for english?
Reply 4
Hello. I am a student studying in my first year of sixth form, and boy has it been a tough ride thus far.

My 2 week holiday is reaching it's end and I have exams in a matter of weeks. The subjects that I study are all of a tough variety - English Literature, History and Chemistry (and General Studies, but that's not important). Throughout the year I have been doing relatively well in class for the most part, I am doing very well in American History and English to an extent, however in British History we have had no practise at all and in Chemistry my performance in exams are less-than stellar at best.

The teachers at my sixth form always remind us how important revision and independent study is at this level, and I fear that this is where my issue lies - I have a startling inability to revise at home. Don't get the wrong idea, I have revised quite a lot throughout this year, albeit irregularly. It is not until now that I have fully figured out my problem - at home I cannot revise AT ALL. Before anyone asks, distractions such as phones are not a big problem for me. What is, however, is this: For starters, I am NEVER motivated to revise at home - if I am on a free period at school I work very hard much like in class, but at home I just push it back and procrastinate all day until it is too late. Next, when I actually manage to summon the willpower to revise it is not effective to me at all - I usually find it difficult to concentrate and often find myself daydreaming for some time. Not only this, but these textbooks that are supposed to help I find no use for - I read them but it is difficult for me to comprehend, and I take no information from it. I struggle to write notes from the textbooks - I just cannot concisely put down what the book has any more.
These are all major problems for me. I figured that practical work such as past papers work well for me - if I have to keep writing and work then I can do good, however, more problems reside here - if I am stuck for instance, usually I will lose faith in the paper and just give up. The questions in textbooks I find obscure and useless to my needs, and in the case of English, reading the texts again and writing points I can do for the text provides no use to me at all.

I understand this is a lot to take in, but someone please help - it may be too late for this year now, but I need advice to revise for the remainder of weeks and the coming year - I must do well on all of my tests.
Thank you.

I was exactly like you - (now in A2) but I started going to the library and it worked really well for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Thank you.

Go to the library! I had your problem, was forced to go to the library as workers were at home during study leave, and now I go there to revise and actually get stuff done.
It means you have to do stuff as you're in an environment of learning, and you have to be organised as you have to take the right things. It's great at forcing you to revise.
Reply 6
Original post by games211
what board do you do for english?

It may sound bad but I'm not entirely sure - my lit teachers never really mentioned it - I know the boards of my other subjects but for English I'm not sure. However, I have a high feeling that is AQA - the texts I must study are Rime of The Ancient Mariner, Gatsby, Enduring Love and Tennyson poems if that helps.

As for the suggestions to go to the library - thank you for help it never really crossed my mind and I shall try it, however I have another question - how much should I revise weekly? My teachers all say 6 hours per subject a week but I don't think that is humanly possible, so what do you do?
Reply 7
It may sound bad but I'm not entirely sure - my lit teachers never really mentioned it - I know the boards of my other subjects but for English I'm not sure. However, I have a high feeling that is AQA - the texts I must study are Rime of The Ancient Mariner, Gatsby, Enduring Love and Tennyson poems if that helps.

As for the suggestions to go to the library - thank you for help it never really crossed my mind and I shall try it, however I have another question - how much should I revise weekly? My teachers all say 6 hours per subject a week but I don't think that is humanly possible, so what do you do?

what resources do you have for Ancient Mariner?
Reply 8

Well you'll probably not want to hear this but they're right - right now during the hols I try and do 8 hours a day!
Because it's crazy how much you think you know but when it comes to an exam you're like 'well .. Poo I don't seem to know much'
6 hours per subject and you do 3? So that's 18 hours / 7 days a week it's just 2 and a half hours a day which is fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by games211
what resources do you have for Ancient Mariner?

The poem itself, and just a bunch of stuff that our teacher made for us - I know that he had taken questions from exams and put them on his own sheets, then there is things like guides of the most important themes and what not.

Quick Reply

Latest