The Student Room Group

Tips for getting an a* in AQA English Language

I have my mock exam in English Language (AQA) on Tuesday, and I was wondering whether anybody had any last minute tips for securing an A*, as I have heard that they are becoming increasingly tough, despite such a low grade boundary.

Any help is much appreciated ..
Reply 1
Bump
Is it similar to the edexcel iGCSE course? We have one question on the anthology text, one of an unseen and one for creative writing. If you are doing any of those, here are my tips:

Anthology: You're given the text, so don't try learning all of the techniques at home. Spend the time practicing your writing speed so you can write loads. Also try to learn how to make stuff up around it. Like: "the writer uses the (insert technique) to create a sense of (insert whatever fits)...". From there just add in good vocab. Also remember to plan it if you can. Just underline the bits in the text which are useful or make one up on the back. scribble it out though if you do.

Unseen: Can't really help you. However, here's what I've got. Just find techniques, even if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. No matter what, the exam isn't made to force you to fail. There will ALWAYS be at least a few techniques. If in doubt, use 'list of three', 'short clause' and 'imagery'. List of three is always emphasis of something. Short clause is generally tension. Imagery is free.

Creative: DON'T WRITE ABOUT SOMETHING REAL. Life is boring. Therefore, make something up. Something that's not completely unbelievable (e.g. aliens or demons) but something interesting for the examiner to mark. So I would suggest doing something concerning death. Death is great to write about. You can write about olfactory imagery (smell), such as rotting flesh or something. You can do the whole, 'blood pumps through my body' thing. And a lot of scenarios have it that are interesting. But don't focus to much on the plot. Remember, they're judging you on use of techniques. So remember to use similes, metaphors and rhetorics.

I know this probably isn't the best, but it's something. Good luck!
Reply 3
For English language I used two YouTube channels : MrBruff and WCSEnglish they're SO good! The reason being is because for aqa English language the question styles are always the same (e,g question 3 is Always on writing about how the images used makes the article effective, Q4 is always on comparison etc. ) and these guys go through exactly how to answer them. Then I would practise some questions and show them to my teacher to mark (you may not have time for that so you mark it for now) but go on the channels they give great tips.
I got full UMS for the English Language exam thanks to them but my coursework meant my overall grade was an A :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by MayaCR7_
For English language I used two YouTube channels : MrBruff and WCSEnglish they're SO good! The reason being is because for aqa English language the question styles are always the same (e,g question 3 is Always on writing about how the images used makes the article effective, Q4 is always on comparison etc. ) and these guys go through exactly how to answer them. Then I would practise some questions and show them to my teacher to mark (you may not have time for that so you mark it for now) but go on the channels they give great tips.
I got full UMS for the English Language exam thanks to them but my coursework meant my overall grade was an A :frown:

thanks, very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest