The Student Room Group

Dont know what course to take at uni? Help?

Up till now, I've taken ICT, Business and Media at A-Level. At GCSE I got decent grades in Business, ICT, Media, Physics and Maths.

I want to take a course which combines creativity and professionalism, so have been looking at architecture as I think this would be a very good career, but found out it takes at least 7 years to get qualified and want to be working long before that. Also, to get in, universities will want a drawing/sketch portfolio, but having not taken art at GCSE or A Level, I don't have one and am not amazing at drawing.

I don't want to do any obvious media courses as I think these are maybe too reliable on creativity and there's not really any money in a career in this as there are so many people taking media nowadays.

Anyone got any suggestions that I can research?

Reply 1
The problem you might face, is that there are quite a lot of careers that might be suitable for you to consider, but a lot of them don't require a specific degree. In fact, it can often be better to study a more academic subject and use transferable skills combined with a more highly respected subject to secure the job you want.

Lots of people choose a subject which, content-wise, has little to do with the career they desire to have but use skills learnt. So, for example, lots of people choose degrees in philosophy or history or English and go on to do law. Or a lot of successful people in media that you might google probably did something unrelated at university like art.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that... taking your media example for my own...doing a degree in "Media Studies" is probably not the best route into media anyway.

(obviously, there are some creative careers that will require or at least desire certain degree, like architecture as you've pointed out)

You could research careers in advertising and publicity. Or another suggestion is web design or other types of design careers (interior, multimedia, brand etc), or event manager/planner.

Use the prospects/careers website (google it) to help you look at different careers and how you get to them. For example, with careers in advertising you can do almost any degree from psychology to chemistry. Web design probably requires a degree in web design for obvious reasons.

It's essential to remember to choose a degree you will enjoy doing and are interested in. A lot of degrees also do not require certain subjects at A level, so you could even consider something perhaps you haven't before.

You seem to enjoy computers/science-based subjects/maths-y subjects maybe? Have you considered researching business/accountancy/management courses? Or researching courses related to ICT and computers. At university, these courses can be highly mathematical. Computer science unfortunately requires maths a-level at a lot of universities, but some (e.g. Northumbria I think) doesn't have specific requirements. There's lots of cool degrees related to technology. For example, Northumbria's website says they do computer game design, computer animation and lots more.

There's always going to be an increasing high demand for jobs in the world of computers and technology. Just a suggestion.
You don't have to go to Uni straight from school. And if you arent sure even 'what to study' then its best you wait until you are. Take a year out and do some calm thinking away from the hysteria of A levels. Do some travelling and think carefully about what you actually want out of life.

Or get a job or an apprenticeship and go to Uni in a few years time - it'll all still be there.

Useful links -

https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/Apprenticeships.aspx

http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/all

http://www.statravel.co.uk/hot-travel-deals.htm?wt.srch=1&wt.mc_id=PPC&gclid=CMfGj9yH9r0CFSMYwwodnLkADw
it's pretty difficult to get into architecture - their work experience gets booked up a year in advance - and I've read that existing architects have problems making a living as there are a lot of them.

Have you been to visit any universities to look at courses? Go to open days at any near you even if you don't want to go to them as it will still give you ideas about courses. Have you done any work experience?

Although you can sometimes change course at university choosing the wrong subject can be an expensive mistake. Gap years can be a great idea and then you go on a course when you have more idea about what would really be worth the debts. You may also be able to get holiday work more easily as a former employer may be happy to have you back.

Lots of amazing computer design courses available but to increase your chance of being accepted doing maths at least to AS would be good. If you can't pick it up now consider an extra year at college to do something more academic.

Apprenticeships are also a great idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending