The Student Room Group

Should private schools be banned?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No they shouldn't. It won't solve anything. Schools in wealthy areas will just be more picky. You'll just end up with a two tier state school system

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shalla13
No they shouldn't. It won't solve anything. Schools in wealthy areas will just be more picky. You'll just end up with a two tier state school system

Posted from TSR Mobile

A comp can't be 'picky' but housing prices can definitely price some families out of catchment areas, etc.
In Britain, we should and do strive for as free a market as possible. The only things it is illegal to buy are those that could potentially hurt yourself or others. Private schooling does not hurt anyone. True, it gives some people an advantage over others, but there's a world of difference between giving someone an advantage and actively disadvantaging someone else.

If you justify banning private schools because they give some people an unfair advantage, you have to consider other factors that give an 'unfair' advantage. Why is economic capital different from cultural capital? Why are people so quick to dismiss parental wealth as a potential factor, but perfectly happy to accept the more intellectually nourishing environment most private-school parents provide? There's no genuinely logical reason to separate the two; it's merely about how society perceives economic and cultural/social capital. It's considered rude to point out that some parents provide less educational environments, and depressingly people reject offers of help relating to parenting.
Reply 23
Original post by JoshBedford
I definitely think more academic scholarships should be given; private education should really be based more around academic skill and not whose parents can afford it

thats why grammer schools were set up but labour got rid of most of them.
Original post by arfah
I personally think they should be banned. It is unfair that everyone does not get the same education

But can't you see that banning private schools would NOT solve this problem? There would still be disparity between state schools: you've got top-level grammar schools, and then you've got state schools people wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

The best point was made by someone earlier in this thread- if state schools were good enough, why would anyone pay so much money to send their children to a private school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucas13
grammer schools

Of all the words to misspell...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PythianLegume
In Britain, we should and do strive for as free a market as possible. The only things it is illegal to buy are those that could potentially hurt yourself or others. Private schooling does not hurt anyone. True, it gives some people an advantage over others, but there's a world of difference between giving someone an advantage and actively disadvantaging someone else.

I'd say this reflects my stance quite well. You could argue that the existence of private schools indirectly affects state school students negatively (i.e. privately educated people will take up more spaces at the best universities etc.) but their abolition would directly negatively affect the potential education of the would-be privately schooled students.

If there is compelling evidence that the existence of private schools is actively detrimental to the education of state school students, I would reconsider my opinion, but I can't think of many other things which would make me do this.
Reply 27
Original post by arfah
I personally think they should be banned. It is unfair that everyone does not get the same education, and people are practically buying their/ child's education.
I wonder what everyone else's view is on this?

So rich people pay for their own childs education rather than use the states education, for which they also pay taxes for, and you want that to be banned?
Original post by ooh-la-laa
The damage is usually done before kids even start primary school. Private schools may be a symptom but they are not the cause of inequality.

I go to state school. I've got an offer from Cambridge. How did that happen if all state schools, as a later poster alleges are, s**t? And if he / she does not have a Cambridge offer presumably Mummy & Daddy have been wasting that 20 or 30 grand a year on private school fees.

Completely agree with this it's not so much that state school are crap it's more the attitude towards education of people attending these schools. I went to what was considered a bad state school but because I had supportive parents that had always placed a huge importance on education even though they had little I excelled in my studies. However most other pupils did not have this attitude in their minds it was a waste of time and they had no interest in learning which is the fault of their parents in my opinion.
Original post by lucas13
thats why grammer schools were set up but labour got rid of most of them.

the Secretary of State for Education who closed most grammar schools was Margaret Thatcher, 1970-1974.
Original post by infairverona
It's a service at the end of the day. Private schools often have teachers with first class degrees or Oxbridge degrees. Until the govt makes it harder for people to become teachers, and stop letting in people with rubbish A levels and 2.2 degrees who will end up teaching in the local comp, this service will carry on being sold and people will carry on buying it.

This is isn't strictly true, yes at the highly elite ones however private schools are less regulated and you don't even need to be a qualified teacher to be one in the private sector. Many of my friends are teachers and haven't found private schools particularly selective.Teachers at most private schools get paid less than those in state schools because it is a nicer environment.
Original post by littleangel9914
Completely agree with this it's not so much that state school are crap it's more the attitude towards education of people attending these schools. I went to what was considered a bad state school but because I had supportive parents that had always placed a huge importance on education even though they had little I excelled in my studies. However most other pupils did not have this attitude in their minds it was a waste of time and they had no interest in learning which is the fault of their parents in my opinion.

That is why private schools are essentially a complete waste of money, they have been shown to have very little added value in terms of the child's achievement. Children who come from similar backgrounds tend to do just as well at either private or state schools.
Original post by TheProblematique
Nah I think state schools should just be better. I go to a private school and I'm damn happy that I do because the state schools are pretty ****. Even my private school is 1.5 hours away but my parents wanted me to get a good education.

If state schools had good quality education, then who would send their kids to private schools anyways? And even if they did, there wouldn't be any difference in quality of education so it wouldn't matter.

Edit: Just realised the person above me said exactly the same thing.

The problem is, how can you make state schools 'just be better'? With what funding?

I agree with what you say about the fact that if state schools were better people wouldn't send their kids to private schools, or rather, they would, but sending your child to Eton/Harrow etc would become more of a status thing, not a means of buying an unfair advantage for your child when it comes to university admissions. And if sending your child to a private school was just about showing off your wealth then perhaps you could compare it to being able to afford expensive items.

But for now it's just disingenuous to equate buying an education for your children with buying an expensive car/house/flying first class. Education is absolutely integral to social mobility.

I didn't used to be pro-abolishing private schools, as I used to think 'It's the parents' choice as to how they spend their money.' But personally it just seems like a case of fairly absolute morality; if you believe in a meritocratic society in which people are given as equal opportunities as possible, then why uphold private schools?

It's not just ethical but economic, too. Whenever any group is held back in society in terms of accessing the higher echelons within careers, holding positions of real power, be this because of gender, race or social class, that means that the best people are not getting the best jobs. I want to be treated by the best doctors, represented by the best lawyers, have the most intelligent and suitable people working in the finance industry, not just the people whose parents could afford to send them to expensive schools.
Original post by tengentoppa
No we should try and raise the standard of state schools rather than drag good schools down to their level. Admittedly some state schools are excellent.

Moreover, universities take into account how good/bad your school was so it's not unfair in that sense.

But do they really? I mean around 40% of students at Oxbridge are from private schools and yet 10% of the population attends them....now unless people at state schools are just generally less intelligent, clearly not enough is being done to address the unfair advantages that going to a private school gives you.
Reply 34
Not this **** again
Reply 35
Original post by Morgasm19
The problem is, how can you make state schools 'just be better'? With what funding?

I agree with what you say about the fact that if state schools were better people wouldn't send their kids to private schools, or rather, they would, but sending your child to Eton/Harrow etc would become more of a status thing, not a means of buying an unfair advantage for your child when it comes to university admissions. And if sending your child to a private school was just about showing off your wealth then perhaps you could compare it to being able to afford expensive items.

But for now it's just disingenuous to equate buying an education for your children with buying an expensive car/house/flying first class. Education is absolutely integral to social mobility.

I didn't used to be pro-abolishing private schools, as I used to think 'It's the parents' choice as to how they spend their money.' But personally it just seems like a case of fairly absolute morality; if you believe in a meritocratic society in which people are given as equal opportunities as possible, then why uphold private schools?

It's not just ethical but economic, too. Whenever any group is held back in society in terms of accessing the higher echelons within careers, holding positions of real power, be this because of gender, race or social class, that means that the best people are not getting the best jobs. I want to be treated by the best doctors, represented by the best lawyers, have the most intelligent and suitable people working in the finance industry, not just the people whose parents could afford to send them to expensive schools.

if you want the best then sending them to state schools is the last thing you want
Original post by Morgasm19
But do they really? I mean around 40% of students at Oxbridge are from private schools and yet 10% of the population attends them....now unless people at state schools are just generally less intelligent, clearly not enough is being done to address the unfair advantages that going to a private school gives you.

If you look at the proportion of applicants to Oxbridge, private school students make up around 36% of applicants, so it makes sense that the proportion of people accepted is similar. Even more so when you consider the fact that private school kids are more likely to apply for Classics and other less subscribed subjects, whilst most state school applicants will be going for the most competitive subjects like Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zenomorph
if you want the best then sending them to state schools is the last thing you want

A motivated, bright, hard-working student with supportive parents is going to succeed in any school, though of course there are some who are let down by the system and that is a great shame. And choosing to send your child to a state school is not just a personal decision, it's not simply an apolitical choice 'I just want the best for my child.' In sending your child to a private school, in my opinion, you're saying 'I don't care if my child has an advantage over other children potentially more talented and deserving of success than my child'.
Original post by Sheldor
If you look at the proportion of applicants to Oxbridge, private school students make up around 36% of applicants, so it makes sense that the proportion of people accepted is similar. Even more so when you consider the fact that private school kids are more likely to apply for Classics and other less subscribed subjects, whilst most state school applicants will be going for the most competitive subjects like Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a very good point, the statistics are skewed, but then you get into the problem of fewer applications from state school students and why that is.
Reply 39
There should seriously be a limit on the numbers and I am inclined to say that there has been a scary rise in academies throughout the last few years, out of LEA control. Inevitably it is a big mess when things go wrong,
at the expense of young people's education. To me that is an unacceptable state of affairs.

But of course, a "I told you so" to the condems won't fix it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending