The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Accommodation/Parking for postgraduate students

I'm looking at postgraduate courses, in particular, aerospace engineering MSc and I'm budgeting it out and checking the cost of accommodation and housing in the area.

I shall need access to a car, but it seems a lot of the halls do not have parking and those which do will charge a fee for the luxury.

I am wondering if anyone could suggest some reasonable options and knows what the cost is likely to be as it is not advertised on the accommodation website. En-suite would be preferable as I shall be working unsocial hours and would rather not be inconvenienced waiting for the facilities.

What other options are there in the city? I've seen a few spots which can be rented out, but not within my budget.

Cheers
Original post by SillyEddy
I'm looking at postgraduate courses, in particular, aerospace engineering MSc and I'm budgeting it out and checking the cost of accommodation and housing in the area.

I shall need access to a car, but it seems a lot of the halls do not have parking and those which do will charge a fee for the luxury.

I am wondering if anyone could suggest some reasonable options and knows what the cost is likely to be as it is not advertised on the accommodation website. En-suite would be preferable as I shall be working unsocial hours and would rather not be inconvenienced waiting for the facilities.

What other options are there in the city? I've seen a few spots which can be rented out, but not within my budget.

Cheers

Halls in Fallowfield allow you to park your car there, but the charges aren't huge. However, there's no free parking on the academic campus unless you have a blue badge - it's all NCP car parks.

Can I ask why you will need a car? Manchester's public transport is genuinely very good compared to a lot of cities. I know very few people who have bothered to bring one, and in many cases they've left their car at home again after realising that they weren't actually using it anyway. The only people I know who do actually use a car are those with high level sporting commitments in other parts of the country, and those with placements (e.g. nursing students).

I know you've mentioned working anti-social hours, but depending on where you work this may not be an issue - there are buses 24/7 between Fallowfield and the City Centre, and if you're working somewhere else then it may be that cycling is a better option (I used to do 5 miles each way at anti social hours by bike, so it is doable).

I had a shared bathroom in first year, and I never actually had to wait for the facilities - everyone has different schedules and so you're unlikely to find clashes.

With regards to flatshares, you're unlikely to find much in the city centre that has car parking included. More realistically, you'd be looking at living around Rusholme, Victoria Park, Fallowfield, Levenshulme, Withington or Didsbury if you really want car parking.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Is there an anual block fee for using those car parks or is it just a bog standard carpark?

I will need the car as I will be working outside the city (+20 miles away). Hours may include 7am starts or 5am finishes and trains would not be appropriate as there is a high chance of running over at the end of a shift.

I had shared facilities in my first year, but having some personal space when doing postgrad seems a bit more appropriate. Hopefully more mature students would be less messy, but still, I'd prefer do deal without that.
Original post by SillyEddy
Is there an anual block fee for using those car parks or is it just a bog standard carpark?

I will need the car as I will be working outside the city (+20 miles away). Hours may include 7am starts or 5am finishes and trains would not be appropriate as there is a high chance of running over at the end of a shift.

I had shared facilities in my first year, but having some personal space when doing postgrad seems a bit more appropriate. Hopefully more mature students would be less messy, but still, I'd prefer do deal without that.

Having had a quick look at NCP's website, it would seem that there is some sort of season ticket option, but as I don't drive I know absolutely nothing about this, though it's likely to be expensive. However, it may work out better for you to travel into uni by bus (academic year pass for the bus is ~£210) and then just use your car for work (FWIW I can see now why you need a car :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending