The Student Room Group

Starting to think about my CV.

Hello,

I am only just stating my A-levels in september -I know it is a long way off before Uni- and I am taking Maths, Geography, Economics and Physics, and then off my own accord I am taking Business BTEC Level 3.

Even though it is ages away, I want to start collecting things together for my CV, I am looking at either LSE or Cambridge and I want to study Geography, or Economics with Geography. What things should i start doing? I have a long summer this year, what should I start looking at? At the moment, I have completed Ten Tors 35, and doing 45 this year> completed DofE Bronze, Silver and on doing Gold, I have been in scouting for 10 years now, and I am completing the Queen's scouting award at the moment -highest challenge in scouting, and presented by the queen- and hopefully next year I am going to an orphanage, and I am also have a 10 day expedition in the south of France. I have a summer job of working in a Butchers and lifeguarding! Also I have attended maths master classes at Exeter Uni, and also Plymouth.

That's what I have so far, I really want to make a good personal statement, is there anything else I should add? Do i need work experience inside my field for what i want to do my course in?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Indigo.Brownhall
Hello,

I am only just stating my A-levels in september -I know it is a long way off before Uni- and I am taking Maths, Geography, Economics and Physics, and then off my own accord I am taking Business BTEC Level 3.

Even though it is ages away, I want to start collecting things together for my CV, I am looking at either LSE or Cambridge and I want to study Geography, or Economics with Geography. What things should i start doing? I have a long summer this year, what should I start looking at? At the moment, I have completed Ten Tors 35, and doing 45 this year> completed DofE Bronze, Silver and on doing Gold, I have been in scouting for 10 years now, and I am completing the Queen's scouting award at the moment -highest challenge in scouting, and presented by the queen- and hopefully next year I am going to an orphanage, and I am also have a 10 day expedition in the south of France. I have a summer job of working in a Butchers and lifeguarding! Also I have attended maths master classes at Exeter Uni, and also Plymouth.

That's what I have so far, I really want to make a good personal statement, is there anything else I should add? Do i need work experience inside my field for what i want to do my course in?

Thank you.

Work experience is a good thing for yourself and getting a job in the future, but imo it's hardly necessary to get onto a non-vocational uni course.
I don't actually have experience of applying to the course or unis that you are thinking of applying to, so hopefully someone else can give you more, and maybe better, advice. :smile:

Though, what I do know is that your grades and interest of the subject is the no.1 thing. Both your knowledge and interest of your chosen subject should be shown by your grades, Personal Statement and at any Interview.
This means that, IF you don't manage to seek any other helpful advice and secure any other work over the summer, it could be well worth reading around your subject and even start to look at the content of your A levels.
Oh and don't forget to enjoy your summer. This is going to be your final proper summer as you've known it; your future summers will probably come along with some stress and time flies so quickly that you'll be in a job before it hits you. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest