I don't know what university to go to! (St. Andrews vs. Edinburgh)

Watch
sarahlouise2468
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I can't choose which university to go to between St. Andrews and Edinburgh. I have visited both and liked both.

St. Andrews has my favourite course - I have applied to do biology and I love the look of the biology course and field trips. St. Andrews will also allow me to do extra modules and I would be able to do geography. I would also have the possibility of doing a joint honours in biology and geography.

I also really like the traditions of St. Andrews such as academic families, raisin weekend and may dip.

However, although I liked the town of St. Andrews I worry that it is too small and there is not a lot to do there so I would get bored quickly. I have never been to a club before so I don't even know if I like clubbing but I think I would like to try it whilst at university and that is part of the whole "student experience".

Edinburgh is a lot larger with a lot more to do and I don't think I would get bored at Edinburgh.

However, although the biology course looks good at Edinburgh and is higher ranked than St. Andrews I don't like it as much as the St. Andrews one and I don't think I would have as much flexibility at Edinburgh and I'm not sure if I would be able to do geography as an extra module in the first year which I would really like to do.

Edinburgh is also a lot closer to my home (30 mins on train) and I don't know if this would disadvantage me as I wouldn't have the oppurtunity to be as independent.

Edinburgh also has a swimming pool whereas St. Andrews does not.

I have also applied to Aberdeen which I really liked, it was a nice place with plenty to do and I really liked the new library, accomodation and swimming pool. I haven't visited since August though as I ruled it out since my parents liked the idea of me going to Edinburgh or St. Andrews as these are more prestigious and I agreed with them.

I also applied to Dundee and I haven't visited at all.

I don't know what to do and I don't have much time to make a decision! Any help would be much appreciated!
Boab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As far as clubbing goes, St Andrews isn't far from Dundee so that is always an option for nights out, as is Edinburgh if yer feeling adventurous!
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Always choose 'course' if you are dithering between two Unis. This is what you will be doing every day for 3 or 4 years, and its the course that is the whole point of going to Uni.

Firm/Insurance choice advice here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
Firure
Badges: 11
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Always choose 'course' if you are dithering between two Unis. This is what you will be doing every day for 3 or 4 years, and its the course that is the whole point of going to Uni.

Firm/Insurance choice advice here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
Seconding this. I like Liverpool, but I wouldn't recommend the English course, here. I wish I'd spent more time researching the course format before applying. That being said, I'm still gonna come out with a 1st, so I guess it's not all bad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.52%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (28)
11.29%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.98%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.1%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.85%

Watched Threads