Aaradhana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
ΔStotal = ΔSsystem + ΔSsurroundings
ΔStotal = ΔSsystem - (ΔHsystem/T)

Photosynthesis is endothermic therefore
ΔSsurroundings is negative. Also, there is a decrease in the entropy of the system therefore that is negative too which means that the total entropy is decreasing which is not possible as it goes against the second law of thermodynamics.

My book does give an explanation saying that the increase in entropy of the Sun compensates for this but I don't see how the reaction taking place on earth affects the Sun. The Sun provides light and then the reaction takes place. The reaction doesn't cause the increase in entropy of the Sun.
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aaradhana)

ΔSsurroundings is negative. Also, there is a decrease in the entropy of the system therefore that is negative too which means that the total entropy is decreasing which is not possible as it goes against the second law of thermodynamics.

My book does give an explanation saying that the increase in entropy of the Sun compensates for this but I don't see how the reaction taking place on earth affects the Sun. The Sun provides light and then the reaction takes place. The reaction doesn't cause the increase in entropy of the Sun.
It's all part of the universe you are considering. It's the entropy of the universe that mustn't decrease.
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMaydom)
It's all part of the universe you are considering. It's the entropy of the universe that mustn't decrease.
OK.
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

You need to define what is in your system here. For example if you are just taking the plant as your system then the second law does not apply in this context. Since you are adding energy from the sun then this is not an isolated system and therefore the entropy change can be negative
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by langlitz)
You need to define what is in your system here. For example if you are just taking the plant as your system then the second law does not apply in this context. Since you are adding energy from the sun then this is not an isolated system and therefore the entropy change can be negative
Oh right... so the entropy of the universe increases though the entropy of the isolated system may decrease.
charco
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh right... so the entropy of the universe increases though the entropy of the isolated system may decrease.
Take a look at these interactives:

Entropy

Gibbs Free Energy
langlitz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No the universe is the isolated system so the entropy of the universe must increase. The plant is not an isolated system so therefore its entropy may decrease
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can I suggest you buy An Introduction to Thermodynamics by Van Ness (it's a Dover book for about £10)? Just finished it - short and it explains entropy very well, using Maxwell's Demon and a few other examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
No the universe is the isolated system so the entropy of the universe must increase. The plant is not an isolated system so therefore its entropy may decrease
What?
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by addylad)
Can I suggest you buy An Introduction to Thermodynamics by Van Ness (it's a Dover book for about £10)? Just finished it - short and it explains entropy very well, using Maxwell's Demon and a few other examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have my exams in 15 days so I don't really have that much time. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have my exams in 15 days so I don't really have that much time. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I will try and find the relevant portion for you later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
langlitz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What?

What's in bold is the problem.

The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases in the course of every spontaneous (natural) change.
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
What's in bold is the problem.

The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases in the course of every spontaneous (natural) change.
Oh, I see, OK thanks... I think I'm more or less fine with this concept for now. Thanks for helping.
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by addylad)
I will try and find the relevant portion for you later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't, it's ok... Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
14.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10.05%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.64%

Watched Threads