Gibbs free energy- entropy Watch

Aaradhana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The book says, "While change in enthalpy is a measure of the quantity of heat change during a chemical reaction, Gibbs free energy gives a measure of the quality of the energy available"... What?

How is Gibbs free energy a measure of the quality of the energy available? I really don't get it.
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aaradhana)
The book says, "While change in enthalpy is a measure of the quantity of heat change during a chemical reaction, Gibbs free energy gives a measure of the quality of the energy available"... What?

How is Gibbs free energy a measure of the quality of the energy available? I really don't get it.
It's a measure of the energy available.... why is this harder than enthalpy? Basically enthalpy is insufficient as it doesn;t account for the entropy changes
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMaydom)
It's a measure of the energy available.... why is this harder than enthalpy? Basically enthalpy is insufficient as it doesn;t account for the entropy changes
No, I understand the concepts of both but I just don't understand the statement about the quality of energy.
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
We had this simple formula. ΔStotal = ΔSsystem - (ΔHsystem/T)
Then the Gibbs guy multiplies it by (-T) and we have a new formula and that means something.

Though I understood this process, I don't get the point of it!
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, I understand the concepts of both but I just don't understand the statement about the quality of energy.
well thats probs just a typo
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Perhaps it is some obscure reference to the fact Gibbs energy is the maximum amount of non-expansion work that you can get from the system.
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Borek)
Perhaps it is some obscure reference to the fact Gibbs energy is the maximum amount of non-expansion work that you can get from the system.
I'm sorry, what's "non-expansion work that you can get from the system", I haven't learnt about it.
charco
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sorry, what's "non-expansion work that you can get from the system", I haven't learnt about it.
What Gibbs meant by 'free' energy is energy that is available to do work.

The energy of the universe is either dissipated and spread over all of the particles increasing their entropy, or is in the form of chemical energy (enthalpy) that can be used to do work (i.e. converted to heat energy increasing pressure of gas or converted to electrical energy etc)

So he said that as the total energy of the universe is constant (law of conservation of energy) then as the free energy decreases the universal entropy must increase as the heat is getting dissipated.

ΔG = ΔH(system) - TΔS(system)

Where

ΔG = -TΔS(universe)
Aaradhana
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
What Gibbs meant by 'free' energy is energy that is available to do work.

The energy of the universe is either dissipated and spread over all of the particles increasing their entropy, or is in the form of chemical energy (enthalpy) that can be used to do work (i.e. converted to heat energy increasing pressure of gas or converted to electrical energy etc)

So he said that as the total energy of the universe is constant (law of conservation of energy) then as the free energy decreases the universal entropy must increase as the heat is getting dissipated.

ΔG = ΔH(system) - TΔS(system)

Where

ΔG = -TΔS(universe)
Whoa. That was really helpful! Thanks.
PRSOM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.81%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (137)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.16%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.81%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.68%

Watched Threads