The Student Room Group

*English Literature A* Discussion.*

Guys it's been made clear that you need to 'evaluate' Form//Structure//Language to gain an A* in English Literature. But what is evaluation and how do you do it in an essay. Also has anyone got general tips//advice for English Literature, I am studying OMAM and Kindertransport.

:biggrin:
I'm doing Kindertransport too. I recommend re-reading the book several times to be familiar with the plot and making annotations or notes. Pick out the main themes and ideas e.g. mother and daughter relationships, identity, fear and pick out some good quotes for each. Pick out the main points and quotes about each character e.g. the different mothers/ ways of mothering, the male characters, Eva/ Evelyn and Faith. Think about the effects of each setting and the beginning and ending of the play.

Evaluation is about picking out the good and the bad points about something and coming to a conclusion about it (having an opinion). :smile:
Original post by VioletPhillippo
I'm doing Kindertransport too. I recommend re-reading the book several times to be familiar with the plot and making annotations or notes. Pick out the main themes and ideas e.g. mother and daughter relationships, identity, fear and pick out some good quotes for each. Pick out the main points and quotes about each character e.g. the different mothers/ ways of mothering, the male characters, Eva/ Evelyn and Faith. Think about the effects of each setting and the beginning and ending of the play.

Evaluation is about picking out the good and the bad points about something and coming to a conclusion about it (having an opinion). :smile:

It depends what the essay question is but evaluating would mean picking a main point about structure/ form/ language, picking out a strong quote that supports it then explaining by linking back to the question (using words from the question) is it successful? (In ur opinion) What effect does it have on the reader? Why has the author chosen to do it this way? E.t.c :smile:
Original post by KaiVally
Guys it's been made clear that you need to 'evaluate' Form//Structure//Language to gain an A* in English Literature. But what is evaluation and how do you do it in an essay. Also has anyone got general tips//advice for English Literature, I am studying OMAM and Kindertransport.

:biggrin:

Have you used 'PEAL' ?

Make your Point
Give your Evidence (like a quotation)
Then Analyse
And Link it back to the question

Maybe looking through this may help? :smile:

And theses two:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/playlists
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/micemen/

Other things to make sure you do:
- Make sure you know the texts well. The two links I gave you can help with that. Go through the novel also and class notes. I think you should probably get a revision guide too.
- Then go on the exam boards website and have a look at exemplar answers so that you're familiar for each grade how it needs to be done. You can see the examiners comments also and the mark scheme
- Attempt it yourself. Go through some past papers. Practise those exam questions
Reply 4
Original post by VioletPhillippo

Cheers dude, these tips are awesome!
Kindertransport is the exam that I find most difficult for some reason so hopefully your tips will help me beast this exam :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by AMYC1999
Have you used 'PEAL' ?

Make your Point
Give your Evidence (like a quotation)
Then Analyse
And Link it back to the question

Maybe looking through this may help? :smile:

And theses two:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/playlists
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/micemen/

Other things to make sure you do:
- Make sure you know the texts well. The two links I gave you can help with that. Go through the novel also and class notes. I think you should probably get a revision guide too.
- Then go on the exam boards website and have a look at exemplar answers so that you're familiar for each grade how it needs to be done. You can see the examiners comments also and the mark scheme
- Attempt it yourself. Go through some past papers. Practise those exam questions

No, I use my own structure for the Literature exams but it has: (providing this is what evaluate comes under) author's intent, reader reaction and all of that stuff, that should be all right?

Thanks for the links too, I'll be sure to check them out :biggrin:

One thing..Where can I find exemplar responses, I've been looking for them all over the AQA site as I feel they would help me massively but I can never find them! D:
Original post by KaiVally
No, I use my own structure for the Literature exams but it has: (providing this is what evaluate comes under) author's intent, reader reaction and all of that stuff, that should be all right? Thanks for the links too, I'll be sure to check them out :biggrin: One thing..Where can I find exemplar responses, I've been looking for them all over the AQA site as I feel they would help me massively but I can never find them! D:
I think so :yep: I've had a look on the website, I can't seem to find any either, but I believe its with the teacher resources (when teachers sign up for the spec) so I'd suggest you ask your teacher for them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest