BBC Proms 2014!

Watch
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So the Proms programme for this year is to be announced on 24th April - just three days' time! :awesome:

Thought we could all have a thread about what concerts we are planning to listen to on the radio, or (if lucky enough!) to see in person

Spam away, dear friends, spam away! :musicus:
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Definitely Laura Mvula's prom. That's gonna sound beautiful. Was tempted to get tickets but it's bit expensive when you take into account travel.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
I'm lucky enough to live in London, so travel's not an issue. The late-night Proms are very tempting indeed :beard:

I'm going for Proms 21 (John Wilson Orch does Kiss Me Kate), 47 (Britten's War Requiem) and 64 (Berlin Phil does Russian dance music) if I can get tickets. Wanted Prom 66 as well (Berlin Phil does Bach's St. Matthew's Passion), but don't think I have enough money :o:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
So what did people manage to get in the end? And how long were you queuing for?

I missed out on the Sir Simon Rattle tickets coz Prom 66 somehow deleted itself from my planner :sad:
Fan service
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone going to 67 in September?
Lord Harold
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Looking forward to 23rd August's prom just because of Scheherazade!
Lord Harold
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fan service)
Well I got tickets back in June mostly because of the Tchaikovsky 5, but last week I checked my concert diary to find I was actually playing somewhere else on that night! I was looking forward to it so much too...
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fan service)
Don't think it's on my list :nah:

(Original post by Lord Harold)
Looking forward to 23rd August's prom just because of Scheherazade!
Scheherazade :love: LOVE it!

Well I got tickets back in June mostly because of the Tchaikovsky 5, but last week I checked my concert diary to find I was actually playing somewhere else on that night! I was looking forward to it so much too...
:console:
WhimsicalSloth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I went to see the Proms 31 on the 9th and I'm also going tomorrow I can't wait! There's nothing like going to see a concert live.
Lord Harold
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

Scheherazade :love: LOVE it!

:console:
Thanks! Scheherazade is something else, Gergiev's version is the best!
Lord Harold
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by WhimsicalSloth)
I went to see the Proms 31 on the 9th and I'm also going tomorrow I can't wait! There's nothing like going to see a concert live.
Symphonie Fantastique!!!??? Wow I am SO envious, with Andrew Davis too, I saw him a while back at the Barbican- he's very good! Can you sneak me in!?
WhimsicalSloth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Symphonie Fantastique!!!??? Wow I am SO envious, with Andrew Davis too, I saw him a while back at the Barbican- he's very good! Can you sneak me in!?
Gladly! Great music deserves to be heard after all. But only if you pay for the ice cream. Did you speak to Andrew personally then or just see him in concert? I'm hoping that we're not sat in direct view of a camera, otherwise I'm bound to pull a face at the wrong moment!
Lord Harold
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Gladly! Great music deserves to be heard after all. But only if you pay for the ice cream. Did you speak to Andrew personally then or just see him in concert? I'm hoping that we're not sat in direct view of a camera, otherwise I'm bound to pull a face at the wrong moment!
Exactly! Sadly it was only to see him conduct, but it was still an excellent concert. Haha I remember sitting in the choir stalls at a concert that was being filmed and when I watched it back all that you could see was me wincing whenever the brass played!
Lord Harold
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just listening still now to the concert. That Berlioz was definitely the best performance I have ever heard of it, you were so lucky to be there! It was so crisp, especially the march to the scaffold, my favourite movement. But Grainger after Berlioz perhaps ruins the effect of such a monstrous work as the Symphonie Fantastique, I don't know, I just though it was a bit of a shame to cleanse one's ears with such 'jokey' melodies of Handel in the Strand after Berlioz. Apart from that no criticisms at all (apart from the coughing!) which is really quite rare for me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (56)
29.47%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.63%

Watched Threads