Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I always revise to the limit for all my examinations, and my tests prove such poor results. I don't get it. I revised well, took breaks and done questions. I feel like such a failure... I revise everyday, I understand the topic well, memorised my notes exceptionally well. If I fail this chemistry end of unit examination I'll feel like a eternal fool. Can someone help me? Possibly even test me for my upcoming science test on fundamental ideas, chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Sure Chemistry is literally the only science I can properly ace, so I'm happy to help What exam board?

ReputationRep:
    Thank You.

ReputationRep:
    Thank You. You know about fundamental ideas, in the AQA specification, right?

ReputationRep:
    Well, can you tell me if these notes for fundamental ideas is enough & worth it?
    FUNDAMENTAL IDEAS;
    § All elements in the same group in the periodic table have similar chemical properties.
    § This is because their atoms have the same number of electrons in their highest occupied energy level.
    § Elements in the periodic table are arranged to their atomic number.
    § An atom overall electrical charge is zero because the number of protons and electrons are equal and charges are equal and opposite.
    § Group 1 elements = reactive = alkali metals.
    § Group 0 elements = not reactive = noble gases.
    § Group 1 elements: lithium, sodium and potassium all react vigorously with water and produce metal hydroxides + hydrogen.
    § Metal + water = metal hydroxides + hydrogen.
    § Group 0 elements are not reactive because they have the stable arrangement of electrons. Outermost shells are full.
    § Covalent bonds form when an atom shares one or more pairs of their electrons.
    § Metals which lose one or more pairs of their electrons form positively charged ions.
    § Non- metals which gain electrons form negatively charged ions.
    § All metals react with other elements by losing their outermost electrons and forming ‘positively charged ions.’
    § Group 1 elements: lithium, sodium, potassium, rubidium, caesium and francium all just have 1 electron in their outermost orbitals. So they are reactive of all metals as this 1 electron is very easily lost.
    § Atoms with an incomplete outer electron shell are unstable. By either gaining or losing electrons atoms can obtain a full outer electron shell.
    § Atoms which lose one or more pairs of their electrons have more protons than electrons. This means that the atoms have obtained a full outer electron shell by the removal of electrons to form a positive ion.
    § Atoms with a nearly empty outer electron shell will lose electrons to obtain a full outer electron shell.
    § Compounds formed from metals or non-metals consist of ions.
    § Electrons always occupy the lowest energy level first.
    § Electrons are in a particular energy level.
    § Atoms have a small, central nucleus composed of 2 subatomic particles = protons + neutrons.
    § Around the nucleus there are electrons which carry a negative charge and are in an orbit.
    § Protons and electrons have an electrical charge; both have the same size of electrical charge. But protons are positive; electrons are negative and neutrons are neutral.
    § PROTONS = +1
    § ELECTRONS = -1
    § NEUTRONS = 0.
    § Ionic bonds = transfer of electrons = metals and non- metals only.
    § Elements in a period have the same occupied energy levels or shells.
    § SIMILARITY BETWEEN ELEMENTS IN SAME GROUP IN PERIODIC TABLE:
    § Same number of electrons in the highest occupied energy level.
    § DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ELEMENTS IN SAME GROUP IN PERIODIC TABLE:
    § Number of shells increase as you move down in the groups.
    § Covalent bonds form because an atom of a non-metal would want to share its electrons with an atom of a different non-metal, as both of these non-metals would want to complete their outer shell by the shared pair of electrons.
    § Ionic bonds form because an atom of a metal would want to lose its electrons in its outermost orbital to obtain a full outer electron shell; the atom of the metal then becomes a positive ion as of this result. The atom of the metal does this by transferring its electrons from its outer shell to an atom of a non-metal which needs to gain electrons to complete its outer shell; the atom of the non-metal then becomes a negative ion as of this result.
    § Electrons always occupy the lowest energy level first, the remaining electrons then go and occupy the higher energy levels.
    § Innermost shells are the lowest energy level.
    § Outer shells have the higher energy levels
    § The number of protons determines the atom’s identity.
    § The number of electrons determines the charge of the element.
    § The atomic weight is the average mass of an naturally occurring atom, an isotope and taking account of neutrons in each isotope.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.