GingerGnu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey all,

I am doing the OCR English Lit and the OCR English Lang courses and i need some tips on how to do well in the exams...we have been taught a PEAL structure: Point, Evidence, Analysis, Link. However, i'm not sure how to analyse things swiftly? Are there any tips you have for how to make sure you cover everything you need to - sentence starters etc.

I will be doing exams on...

Of Mice and Men
An Inspector Calls
Lord of the Flies
Simon Armitage

And then for language of course Info and Ideas

As the above probably made no sense - any tips on technique for getting good grades (A*s) in the above exams!

Thanks - sorry it made no sense...
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GingerGnu)
Hey all,

I am doing the OCR English Lit and the OCR English Lang courses and i need some tips on how to do well in the exams...we have been taught a PEAL structure: Point, Evidence, Analysis, Link. However, i'm not sure how to analyse things swiftly? Are there any tips you have for how to make sure you cover everything you need to - sentence starters etc.

I will be doing exams on..

Of Mice and Men
An Inspector Calls
Lord of the Flies
Simon Armitage

As the above probably made no sense - any tips on technique for getting good grades (A*s) in the above exams!

I'm in year 10 and I'm doing AQA English but we have to do of mice and men as well. I would recommend keep re-reading the book to familiarise the plot and annotate. Pick out the main themes and a few key quotes to go with these. Pick out some main points and quotes about each character and the setting. There are loads of revsion guides and lots of help online for all of the books on your list
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
I'm in year 10 and I'm doing AQA English but we have to do of mice and men as well. I would recommend keep re-reading the book to familiarise the plot and annotate. Pick out the main themes and a few key quotes to go with these. Pick out some main points and quotes about each character and the setting. There are loads of revsion guides and lots of help online for all of the books on your list
For analysis
Pick out a main point, pick out a strong quote to back it up and explain the quote by linking it back to the question (use words from the question)

To get an a* you have to do close analysis, so analysing single words whether it's in a poem or a novel.
The analysis also has to be imaginative so you have to think of something others wouldn't automatically think of (the subtleties)
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GingerGnu)
Hey all,

I will be doing exams on...

Of Mice and Men
An Inspector Calls
Lord of the Flies
Simon Armitage

Not sure if I can help but, have a look at this? Something may be relevant to what you're studying also SparkNotes and Englishbiz

I'd suggest you get a revision guide maybe? I haven't had an English revision guide before but I'm pretty sure it'll give you tips on analysis, examples, how to do them etc. Make sure you get the one for your exam board, so you can see what they expect from you. Have a look at the exam board's website and look at some exemplar answers, really useful apparently, you can see what they expect from you, what grades they've awarded for certain answers, see what the examiner wrote and have a look at the mark scheme. Then, attempt it yourself, get some past papers, do the exam questions, practise and practise then get your teacher to mark it? Hope that helps!
GingerGnu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks everyone a lot of help!! Our teacher hasn't taught the course before so that's a little annoying but thanks for all the help very useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (88)
64.71%
I don't have everything I need (48)
35.29%

Watched Threads