The Student Room Group

Repaying Overpayment of Student Grant

I posted on here a while back as I was being harassed by debt collectors regarding an overpayment of my student grant. To cut a long story short, in my final year of Uni I became means tested as the recession hit and my parents couldn't help me out financially any more. I was awarded a grant based on my parents' disposable income, but Student Loans are now insisting I was never entitled to the grant and they want it back (£2500).

After many phone calls and investigations I managed to get my claim re-assessed. The original grant was paid to me as my father is self employed and predicted he'd only have 15 hours work a week, which was only just enough to pay bills, mortgage etc when combined with my mother's income. Therefore the grant was awarded to me based on their combined disposable income. In the reassessment, they said I had to pay the grant back based on their gross income - so they've based it on a completely different criteria! Also my Dad actually had no work, not the 15 hours he predicted.

Anyone had any similar experiences or any advice in how to proceed? I'm considering financial ombudsman?

George
They always assess off gross income declared to HMRC.
I very much doubt you'll get anywhere.
Reply 2
Original post by George2411
I posted on here a while back as I was being harassed by debt collectors regarding an overpayment of my student grant. To cut a long story short, in my final year of Uni I became means tested as the recession hit and my parents couldn't help me out financially any more. I was awarded a grant based on my parents' disposable income, but Student Loans are now insisting I was never entitled to the grant and they want it back (£2500).

After many phone calls and investigations I managed to get my claim re-assessed. The original grant was paid to me as my father is self employed and predicted he'd only have 15 hours work a week, which was only just enough to pay bills, mortgage etc when combined with my mother's income. Therefore the grant was awarded to me based on their combined disposable income. In the reassessment, they said I had to pay the grant back based on their gross income - so they've based it on a completely different criteria! Also my Dad actually had no work, not the 15 hours he predicted.

Anyone had any similar experiences or any advice in how to proceed? I'm considering financial ombudsman?

George

Student finance always look at gross income, it would take forever if they took everyones expenditures into account and this wouldn't be any more fair! if your dad had no income and has proof and your gross household income would still have entitled you to a grant then you should be able to get the claim reassessed. Otherwise you don't have much hope I'm afraid as one of the T&C's that you sign in agreement of is that you agree to pay back any overpayment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending