The Student Room Group

Throwing away threatening letters

I sometimes get letters saying something like:

KERON, YOU HAVE NOT PAID YOUR BILL. IF YOU DON'T PAY IT BY [INSERT DAY] WE SHALL TAKE YOU TO COURT. (not a direct quote)

If I know I've paid my bill or I'm not even with the company, is it safe to just throw them away and ignore them?
Original post by keromedic

KERON, YOU HAVE NOT PAID YOUR BILL. IF YOU DON'T PAY IT BY [INSERT DAY] WE SHALL TAKE YOU TO COURT. (not a direct quote)

If I know I've paid my bill or I'm not even with the company, is it safe to just throw them away and ignore them?

A friend of mine got the threat of debt collectors from for not returning a college's library book on time. And a charge of 50p per day.

I suppose it depends on whether you want the bailiffs to come round and start taking your stuff when you have paid. That would be far from ideal. Perhaps ring them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I would google the phone number they give on the letter, if it is the legitimate number of the company I would call them (if its not you could report them). If you call them just explain the situation, its possible its an error or that you might have forgotten something.
I wouldn't throw them away at all. You need to call up the number given on the letter and explain, perhaps their database has not been updated or there maybe a one off outstanding charge. either way, it's important that you inform them and make sure they amend their side. Otherwise if you do end up getting bailiffs around or taken to court, their first question would be "why didn't you tell us"
Original post by addylad
A friend of mine got the threat of debt collectors from for not returning a college's library book on time. And a charge of 50p per day.

I suppose it depends on whether you want the bailiffs to come round and start taking your stuff when you have paid. That would be far from ideal. Perhaps ring them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I have spoken to the TV Licensing people in detail, for example, and yet they continue to write to me.
I've been throwing them away. It's just that I'm leaving my property in a few months and I don't want a horde of trouble to follow me.

Original post by diamondsky99
I would google the phone number they give on the letter, if it is the legitimate number of the company I would call them (if its not you could report them). If you call them just explain the situation, its possible its an error or that you might have forgotten something.

I have tried in most of the cases but still they persist.

I hadn't considered reporting. Thanks :holmes:.
Reply 5
Well I have spoken to the TV Licensing people in detail, for example, and yet they continue to write to me.
I've been throwing them away. It's just that I'm leaving my property in a few months and I don't want a horde of trouble to follow me.

TV licensing are just a pain in the ass. Call them, tell them you don't need a license, and to record that. Then ignore the letters.

What sort of bills, which companies? Some you can ignore, some not.
I'd call them up and tell them that you have paid.
Reply 7

DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY!

If you're certain that you have paid your bill find the receipts and call the company that is issuing these threats and inform them of their error. If they continue you should take further action, as its a form of harassment.

TV licensing are a joke. Empty threats most of the time. They go out all guns blazing even if they have no proof. Wonder how many people have paid up just from their intimidation tactics.

If you are still concerned, write to them and keep a copy of the letters. That way, they can have no excuses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Tv licence letters - Totally safe to ignore

Debt collection letters - Respond saying that the debt is disputed and they must refer the matter back to their clients

Letters from other companies - Either respond "Not known at address" or contact to dispute the bill.
I would keep them. Or you can send a reply and charge them £20 for your wasted time. If it gets bad you can sue them for harrassment and make some money.
Thanks everyone.

Just a secondary question. I get similar letters for the previous tenants that lived here. Is it my responsibility to chase them down or contact my landlord?
Original post by arson_fire
No. Don`t open them - just put them back in the post with "moved away" or similar written on them.

Thank you.

I'm pretty ignorant with some adulty stuff :tongue:.
Unless you get an actual court letter or court date you can pretty much ignore most of them if you know you have paid. Bailiffs can't break in to your house, as that would be illegal and they can have their licenses revoked.
Original post by DiddyDec
Unless you get an actual court letter or court date you can pretty much ignore most of them if you know you have paid. Bailiffs can't break in to your house, as that would be illegal and they can have their licenses revoked.

Out of curiosity, what can they do?

Not without the police being involved, but that would only happen for large debts £7,000+. Otherwise it is breaking and entering. They can however come in through an open window. So make sure you lock everything up properly.
Reply 16

Standard ones cannot break into your house. They can enter if you invite them in. Once they have been in, they can then legally re-enter.

Court appointed bailiffs can break into your house. They will need a court order to do this though.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending