The Student Room Group

"oh, you study engineering?"

Why do I always get an eyebrow raised situation when I say I study Mechanical engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Engineer2015
Why do I always get an eyebrow raised situation when I say I study Mechanical engineering?

It's because you're part of the select STEM master race. This is also when a more than fair amount of people are studying subjects like psychology. I mean how many of these people do we need, is modern society that mentally ill?
Reply 2
perhaps its because of people's inaccurate image of what a mechanical engineer actually is, and so you don't fit their sterotype perhaps?

maybe they're also just impressed or surprised, your personality might not reflect one that would fit into engineering?

just some ideas :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by arson_fire
Sadly, a lot of people think mechanical engineers service your car, or fix broken down trucks.

Step-dad owns an engineering firm and this isn't that far from the truth tbh...
Reply 4

Because noone outside of engineering really knows what mechanical engineering is. Civil, electrical and chemical is obvious… what the hell do mechanical engineers study? Mechanical stuff? I think it also has the geek sound to it as well.

Sounds stupid but i'm pretty sure it's true. I used to tell people i was going to study Chemical engineering and they would be like "ooooh thats cool"…. now i tell people its Mechanical and they say "oh ok, so what's that then? Machines?"
Reply 5
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
It's because you're part of the select STEM master race. This is also when a more than fair amount of people are studying subjects like psychology. I mean how many of these people do we need, is modern society that mentally ill?

Yes. It is.

STEM?
Reply 6
They're just not used to seeing boiler mechanics except in Yellow Pages adverts.
Reply 7
Because plumbers and mechanics have the privilege to be called engineers and people think: why the **** would you study that

Honestly tells me more about them then they do about you

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

I get the same exact response. Where do you study?
dunno mate, I can't remember the last time I told someone what I studied, nor do I remember getting such a reaction
Engineering is so undervalued in the UK, and most of these people are uneducated who think mechanical engineering is to do with semi skilled work like plumbing. It is the most mentally challenging degree alongside physics. Medicine and law are more interpersonal fields that are not very intellectually challenging or require a great deal of mathematical or computer programming abilities.
Reply 11
Who cares what the f these people think, you should be proud that you study something so difficult and valuable! :wink:
Original post by nothepreacher
Engineering is so undervalued in the UK, and most of these people are uneducated who think mechanical engineering is to do with semi skilled work like plumbing. It is the most mentally challenging degree alongside physics. Medicine and law are more interpersonal fields that are not very intellectually challenging or require a great deal of mathematical or computer programming abilities.

I disagree. I have always known the majority of people to be impressed by people who are engineers.

I also disagree with your assessment of the relative difficulty of degrees. That depends very much on the person and the content of the degree, which can vary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you ASIAN??? You NO doctor???
Original post by kingm
Because noone outside of engineering really knows what mechanical engineering is. Civil, electrical and chemical is obvious… what the hell do mechanical engineers study? Mechanical stuff? I think it also has the geek sound to it as well.

Sounds stupid but i'm pretty sure it's true. I used to tell people i was going to study Chemical engineering and they would be like "ooooh thats cool"…. now i tell people its Mechanical and they say "oh ok, so what's that then? Machines?"

Actually, I wouldn't say civil, electrical or chemical engineering is obvious either. I do civil, and I'm pretty sure 95% of people have asked me what it is. Whilst with mechanical, I would say it's a more popular subject and hence slightly more well known. When people reply with "oooh that's cool", I think some of the time they just can't be bothered to ask what it is.

Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Are you ASIAN??? You NO doctor???

This is probably what people expect me to answer when they ask me what I study and then they get let disappointed ):
See, this is why I ditched my plans to study engineering and opted for mathematics instead. :colone:
Reply 16
Original post by iDraw
I get the same exact response. Where do you study?

Imperial

Because people are curious why you would spend so much money on tuition fees just to become a mechanic.

OH burn!!!!!
Reply 18
Original post by eggfriedrice
Actually, I wouldn't say civil, electrical or chemical engineering is obvious either. I do civil, and I'm pretty sure 95% of people have asked me what it is. Whilst with mechanical, I would say it's a more popular subject and hence slightly more well known. When people reply with "oooh that's cool", I think some of the time they just can't be bothered to ask what it is.

This is probably what people expect me to answer when they ask me what I study and then they get let disappointed ):

Original post by kingm

eggfriedrice, is right.. Civil is less known than Mechanical.

[video="youtube;y4B19Mdi6Mg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4B19Mdi6Mg[/video]
Reply 19
Original post by hihoho
eggfriedrice, is right.. Civil is less known than Mechanical.

[video="youtube;y4B19Mdi6Mg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4B19Mdi6Mg[/video]

a logical fallacy I believe.

From personal experience - granted, this may be relative to the people I know - people understand more about what a civil engineer might work on in contrast to what a mechanical engineer might work on. If people think they know more about mechanical than civil then they're probably unaware of how broad mechanical actually is :-).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest