Geologygirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I picked creative textiles,geography and ict but my peers and language teachers say that I'm going to get nowhere without a language.
Do I really need a language to get a good job?
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Not nowhere, but it is favourable over those 3.. If i were you, i would COMPLETELY avoid ICT, if you like to do computer stuff choose COMPUTER SCIENCE, ICT is terrible, its learning how to make powerpoints and pretty word documents, things i know i started in year 4. its a complete waste of time and utterly worthless, a language would do so much better for a job application..
Geologygirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I wanted to do computer science but it is not available at my school so ict is the closes I can get.i didn't fancy the idea of language exams but thanks for the advice helped me think of the future.
pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Geologygirl)
I wanted to do computer science but it is not available at my school so ict is the closes I can get.i didn't fancy the idea of language exams but thanks for the advice helped me think of the future.
I definitely think you should take a language, so replace that with creative textiles (which is useless imho). I was in the same stance as you that i was avoiding taking a language IGCSE because i was worried about the format of the language exam. Here I am two years later about to take my IGCSE French exam with absolutely no regrets. Trust me, the amount of knowledge and development you gain from doing a language trumps everything. Plus, you might end up loving languages like my self and continue on with it to a levels/IB. If you do so, your application will look really appealing because you'll probably be proficient in the language. Jobs are really competitive now so it is better to utilise any advantage you can get a hold of.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads