What do people mean when they say they're 'making notes'?

Watch
suzylemonade
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've always been baffled by this phrase. I've often heard people saying that they're 'making notes' and then they're going to revise. But surely making notes is revising? You're just writing down what you already know? In my case, making notes is really the only way I can revise effectively, so when people say that they haven't even revised, they've only made notes, it confuses me to no end. Would somebody mind explaining?
Thanks
the traveller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
wow i thought i was the only one that made actual notes. everyone else tells me they read the revision guide. i know it's a good revision technique becasue of my excellent predicted grades which i pray i will manage to get
flyyoufools
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I make notes before revising as a way to stick everything in one place so when it gets to doing past-papers [what I consider revising] I have something to refer to and it's fresh in my mind. I wouldn't really say that the notes aren't revision but it's more like a stepping stone to get me into the 'proper' revision.
suzylemonade
Rep:
?
(Original post by the traveller)
wow i thought i was the only one that made actual notes. everyone else tells me they read the revision guide. i know it's a good revision technique becasue of my excellent predicted grades which i pray i will manage to get
Yeah, I've never understood how people can just read the guide and get it to stick :/ I have to actually write stuff down
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on how good the textbook is.

If it's good, I'll read straight off it and learn it.

If it's not so good, I condense the textbook into my own words.
the traveller
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by suzylemonade)
Yeah, I've never understood how people can just read the guide and get it to stick :/ I have to actually write stuff down
sometimes i get really frustrated because in revision guides all the points seem relevant and i feel i should write all of them down in case i get asked them in the exam but the thing is there is too much to write
Robbie242
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I make notes, its pretty much copying the textbook but using abbreviations & kicking out all the useless one time examples OCR throws in the economics book for the lols
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I never write stuff down LOL, just a waste of time IMO. Get all the info from the textbook, maybe shorten it down in my head if it's a bit long/boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
suzylemonade
Rep:
?
(Original post by the traveller)
sometimes i get really frustrated because in revision guides all the points seem relevant and i feel i should write all of them down in case i get asked them in the exam but the thing is there is too much to write
Yeahhh, I know exactly what you mean
Little Wolf Taima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've never revised in my life.

The way I see it is if you paid attention in class and truly understood something the first time around you won't need to just try and memorize what's in a textbook the week before the exam. I mean if I didn't understand something in class I would go research it in my own time to formulate an explanation that made sense to me. If you truly GET how something works then you absorb the information. Otherwise it's just like trying to memorize a meaningless string of letters or numbers that bear no relation to eachother. I thought the point of going to class was to learn. If not you may as well stay at home and memorize the revision guide word for word then let it all slip out of your brain the next day.

Note taking is for structuring your points in an essay so you don't have to write it all out in full IMO
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (5)
21.74%
No one else does (9)
39.13%
I'm embarrassed about my background (1)
4.35%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (6)
26.09%
We don't use a video platform (1)
4.35%
I don't have a camera (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.35%

Watched Threads