ffion-siaaan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm in Year 12 and looking at applying for Theology and Religious Studies this September.
Right now I'm looking at:
Oxford
Durham
Exeter
Cardiff
St Mary's, Twickenham

Does anyone have any advice on where to apply, I definitely want to apply for Oxford and Durham but I'm not sure about the rest...
Also, has anyone applied for something similar at Oxbridge, I'm predicted 4A's this year but I'm not sure if it's possible!
Thanks!
ebowey
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ffion-siaaan)
Hi, I'm in Year 12 and looking at applying for Theology and Religious Studies this September.
Oxford
Durham
Exeter
Cardiff
St Mary's, Twickenham

Does anyone have any advice on where to apply, I definitely want to apply for Oxford and Durham but I'm not sure about the rest...
Also, has anyone applied for something similar at Oxbridge, I'm predicted 4A's this year but I'm not sure if it's possible!
Thanks!
It all depends on what you want out of your time at university. You have a good selection there, have you thought about St Andrews or Edinburgh? It may be worth visiting the universities to find out about the place itself. I would check out the course content and module options. Some degrees don't cover biblical languages, or focus on more religious studies than theology. Draw up pros and cons and speak to your careers advisors who may be able to help.

Also look at Times/ Guardian subject tables which can help. I think Aberdeen is the top theology research university, whereas Durham is the top university for going into the ministry in England.
Rachael UWTSD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello, we have great Theology and Religious Studies at UWTSD Lampeter. The modules currently listed that you would be taking for the three years are
Perspectives on Living ReligionsAbrahamic Faiths
Introduction to Biblical Studies
Understanding Christian Theology
Islam and its Sacred Scriptures
International Study Tour
Hindu Ritual and Society
Islam in the West
Sects, Self and Society
Sacred Journeys and Holy Sites
Christianity in History
Imagining the Other: Theories of Religion
Sex and Violence: Religion in the Modern World
Religions in Antiquity
Women in Judaism and Early Christianity
Jews and Christians in Conflict and Dialogue
Exploring Ritual

If you would like more information check out the description on the site here, or ask me any questions if you'd like. There are still places on the course, it is not too late to apply!
Micccol
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ffion-siaaan)
Oxford
Durham
Exeter
Cardiff
St Mary's, Twickenham

Thanks!
Hey, do you mind if I ask why you want to study theology/what kind specifically? Just curious

Posted from TSR Mobile
G700
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I quite liked the look of Exeter - high up the league tables for theology and the course seems flexible and less 'traditional' based if that's what you're after.

I'm also applying to study theology but I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham and maybe Bristol (not sure what to choose for the 5th option!)
ffion-siaaan
Rep:
?
(Original post by G700)
I quite liked the look of Exeter - high up the league tables for theology and the course seems flexible and less 'traditional' based if that's what you're after.

I'm also applying to study theology but I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, Durham, Exeter, Birmingham and maybe Bristol (not sure what to choose for the 5th option!)
I really liked the look of Exeter, but it's just so far away from me, it would take about 8 hours to get there!

I'm looking at Oxford and Durham definitely, and then maybe Leeds and Chester but I'm a bit stuck with choices, I'm desperate to go to Oxford or Durham!
ffion-siaaan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Micccol)
Hey, do you mind if I ask why you want to study theology/what kind specifically? Just curious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry for the late reply! Theology combines all of my interest really, literature, languages, history and the study of people and culture! I'm a massive fan of world religions and at the moment I'm obsessed with Paul Tillich and his work. I'm also teaching myself Hebrew which is incredibly difficult and stressful!

Are you looking at studying theology too?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (192)
18.82%
Labour (523)
51.27%
Liberal Democrats (138)
13.53%
Green Party (57)
5.59%
Brexit Party (15)
1.47%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.39%
SNP (16)
1.57%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.49%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.69%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (4)