The Student Room Group

London: Does the piccadilly line work during tube strikes?

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is not the right section for this question; the mods can move it somewhere else if they think it's appropriate.

A friend comes to London next week to visit me. She will arrive on Wednesday afternoon, but since a tube strike might take place during the next week, I wonder whether all the tube lines and stations close during strikes, or if maybe the most important ones still work in some stations (such as Heathrow airport).

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Reply 1
Original post by lazaro7
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is not the right section for this question; the mods can move it somewhere else if they think it's appropriate.

A friend comes to London next week to visit me. She will arrive on Wednesday afternoon, but since a tube strike might take place during the next week, I wonder whether all the tube lines and stations close during strikes, or if maybe the most important ones still work in some stations (such as Heathrow airport).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Not all tube lines and stations close during strikes, some automatically close and I think others close depending on how many staff walk out (so you don't know until the strike has started). It's normally possible to get from A to B somehow as you have buses and sometimes the option to get off at a station further away and walk further.
Reply 2
Check to TFL website on the days, they should tell you, or check the BBC website.
Reply 3
Hi, thank you both for your answers. Ok, I'll check the TFL and the BBC websites for news next week, then, as you suggested. I guess she could come to Central London by coach, in case the tube is closed at Heathrow.

(jelly1000, for some reason I can't give you rep; apparently I already gave you rep points before. Anyway, thank you for your help) :smile:

Cheers!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lazaro7
I guess she could come to Central London by coach, in case the tube is closed at Heathrow.

As well as tube services there's also a normal train service between Heathrow and Paddington.
Reply 5
Original post by KCLeblanc
As well as tube services there's also a normal train service between Heathrow and Paddington.

Didn't know; that's an option. Thanks for letting me know!
Reply 6
Original post by lazaro7
Didn't know; that's an option. Thanks for letting me know!

its called the Heathrow Express, just be warned its pretty pricey for a short journey
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
its called the Heathrow Express, just be warned its pretty pricey for a short journey

Yeah, I checked the prices. I guess it's okay to get out of trouble.

Cheers!
Reply 8
From past experience, when the RMT union strikes there is almost no piccadilly line service. It only runs between Arnos Grove and Cockfosters which is hardly worth it. Some of the other lines (particularly Northern, Victoria and District from past experience) will probably be running in the central area.

As for the Heathrow Express, yes it's pricey. I recommend you use Heathrow Connect instead. It takes 5 minutes longer but is less than half the price.
Reply 9
I checked the Heathrow Connect website, and unfortunately it won't work during the strike. Anyway, thanks for the answer; it's good to know there's a cheap train service from Heathrow, for future reference :smile:

Regards.
Reply 10
I didn't know this strike affected trains from Paddington. Worth noting though, in case you missed it, that further down the page you looked at it says that Heathrow Connect tickets will be accepted on Heathrow Express on the strike days.
Original post by Kyri
I didn't know this strike affected trains from Paddington. Worth noting though, in case you missed it, that further down the page you looked at it says that Heathrow Connect tickets will be accepted on Heathrow Express on the strike days.

Its a separate strike

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending