Oxford or Stanford to read Maths? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Magie
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MyNameIsNeo)
Do Stanford, Yale, MIT and Harvard not benefit from their illustrious past as well? Their histories may not be as long as Oxbridge but are significant nonetheless (Yale is over 300 years old). Which of these universities does not advertise the fact that it has educated and been home to eminent figures in history?

As for tutorials, Stanford doesn't have them, they have 'office hours' and 'recitations'. Office hours are weekly times when an academic is available to answer your questions. Recitations are follow-ups classes to lectures. These arrangements are an alternative method of student support but I would hardly consider it superior to the Oxbridge system.
Actually Stanford is only about 100 years old.

Cambridge's system (according to my friend there) is huge lectures with over 100 people in them, where you absolutely cannot ask any questions or anything. If you get lost, that's it. (That is my friend's problem) This is then made up for with one (or two) one-hour tutorials a week.

Stanford's system is small classes almost ALL the time. Instead of big lectures, you tend to sit around a small table with your fellow students and prof, so its much more a two way process. You can ask questions at ANY time. Discussion and debate goes on all the time, not just for one hour a week. The stats say it all: 75% of courses enroll less than 15 students. Beyond the first year, this figure is more like 95%.

In addition to this, there are 'office hours' when you can go and see faculty one-to one. 'Recitations' which you mentioned are there mostly for the small number of classes which enroll a lot of students, usually introductory classes.

Plus you have much better facilities, research opportunities, better teaching (unfortunately a lot of our good academics are drawn across the pond by the attraction of a decent salary), the flexibility to take the subjects you want until you decide what to major in etc
MyNameIsNeo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think you have become too immerse in the glamourous aspects of the American experience and missing out on the benefits of an Oxbridge education. I am not going to talk about my experiences but I urge you to read these documents prepared by Cambridge-MIT students. You will find both groups have praises and complaints about the systems of the other university:

http://web.mit.edu/cmi/ue/mit_guide.pdf

http://mit.edu/cmi/ue/academics/Study_Guide.pdf

Different but not necessarily superior.
anguman
Report 15 years ago
Hi,

You need to take SATs right? If you don't mind me asking, what did you get? U see, I wanna go to the US and also want to apply to Oxford.

Cheers,

Angs
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I can't remember the exact requirements, but you defiantly need 1400+ for SATs I, and similar SATs II results.
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by anguman)
Hi,

You need to take SATs right? If you don't mind me asking, what did you get? U see, I wanna go to the US and also want to apply to Oxford.

Cheers,

Angs
The average for Yale is 740 on verbal and I think the same for the other one.

You can take a practice paper here : www.collegeboard.com
and there a millions of books on amazon with advice ect.
EconLou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh and a bit more info..
At Harvard you need to take 3 subject SAT II, you can see the subjects on collegeboard.com, but Yale will let you substitute A Level results for SAT II.
If you live near London you can take the SAT at the american school in London. There are 4 or 5 sessions each year that you can go to.
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's quite hard to choose. If I were you, I'll choose Stanford as it's the top uni in the world.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think so :rolleyes:

Shiny University is the best! :cool:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (208)
49.29%
No (48)
11.37%
I'm not old enough (166)
39.34%

Watched Threads