OhhNo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can anyone give me some famous/classic poets to read?
I always love reading poetry but at my school we literally never do it (doing a level english lit and they're skimming over it)
I want to do lit at uni so I want some knowledge of all the well-known poets but I don;t really know where to start, I don't know anything about the different eras and groups of poets so any information on that would also be appreciated, or any good books about kind of the evolution of poetry that I could read to start off with
Oddities
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can tell you some 'famous' / well known poets.
~Seamus Heaney (1939-2013)
~Wilfred Owen (1893-1918)
~Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)
~Emily Dickinson (1830-86)
~Maya Angelou (1928- present)
~Edgar Allen Poe (1809-49)
~Rudyard Kipling (1965-1936)

That's some... Naturally, there are many many more.. Just google 'famous (or classic) poets' and many come up
As for not knowing the different eras, search 'groups of poets' or 'types of poetry through the eras' (or something similar) - and something should come up
dorababy1995
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Oddities;47282690]I can tell you some 'famous' / well known poets.

When did he pass away?
dorababy1995
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OhhNo)
Can anyone give me some famous/classic poets to read?
I always love reading poetry but at my school we literally never do it (doing a level english lit and they're skimming over it)
I want to do lit at uni so I want some knowledge of all the well-known poets but I don;t really know where to start, I don't know anything about the different eras and groups of poets so any information on that would also be appreciated, or any good books about kind of the evolution of poetry that I could read to start off with
Here are some Romantic poets:
William Wordsworth (1770 - 1850) (If you truly love poetry, you should read Daffodils, aka. "I wandered lonely as a cloud". Beautiful!)
Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)
These two poets founded the Romantic movement in England with their 1798 joint publication Lyrical ballads. Two of my favourites!
William Blake (1757-1827)
John Keats (1795 - 1821)
I hope this helps a bit.
cisforcallan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bringing you into something a little more contemporary, which is a growing focus on literature courses:

E.E. Cummings;
Sylvia Plath;
Ted Hughes;
Simon Armitage;
Philip Larkin;
John Agard;
Jackie Kay;
Grace Nichols.
Oddities
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=dorababy1995;47413680]
(Original post by Oddities)
I can tell you some 'famous' / well known poets.

When did he pass away?
I think he died in August or September?
happysmile
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
William Wordsworth, Emily Dickinson, Lord Byron, Elizabeth Browning, Edgar Allan Poe... the list goes on...
jamesg2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cisforcallan)
Bringing you into something a little more contemporary, which is a growing focus on literature courses:

E.E. Cummings;
Sylvia Plath;
Ted Hughes;
Simon Armitage;
Philip Larkin;
John Agard;
Jackie Kay;
Grace Nichols.
I agree with you especially on Jackie Kay. I am presently writing notes on the six Jackie Kay poems nominated by the SQA for examination at National Level 5. I am aghast at the dearth of serious criticism on her poetry and other writings. I have had to read a large body of her work to be able come to any meaningful understanding of her work. Thankfully I am being supported by Jackie's agents in this process.

The impression I am getting is that she is a very underrated poet. There is a depth to her work which the notes I have found on the internet illustrate that the writers have either ignored or simply been unaware of the underlying purpose to her poetry: "Keeping Orchids" is a classic example of that. I have found some of the analysis of “Divorced” simply ignores the point of the poem. I am wondering if poems like "Divorce" are dismissed as light weight because it comes from one of her volume of poems written for her son Mathew. If so that is a shame because there is a wonderful character in the poem in the form of the daughter. The character of the daughter literally jumps off the page. She is a highly educated girl who challenges society on whether daughters, or sons, have a right to also choose. I once heard a critic comment that compared to Carol Ann Duffy, Jackie Kay has not the same weight or poetical importance. Having studied her work for some time I am not sure I agree.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
John Betjeman

TS Eliot

Mr Thomas

not really much since :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
59.23%
No (52)
22.32%
Not sure (43)
18.45%

Watched Threads