Want more information about this university?
LindsayLohan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
As a caring citizen of the world
I just wanna announce
How awful this university is!
!DO NOT GO HERE!
please read below

This is by no means a joke or me trolling, I mean out of all the universities why this one? It's not even active here because hardly anybody goes to this dreadful 'uni'.

I'm going to try to keep it short and sweet and just advise everyone to avoid this place, I wish I'd actually not dismissed all the bad reviews I read last year, because coming to this university was the worst decision I've ever made!

What a waste! Between being accused of all manner of things by both staff and personnel (as many people are), and generally hating its smug overly religious crap, it has brought me to the brink of dispair. I mean clearly I'm a fun enough person (depends how you view it, kooky maybe) to call myself Lindsay Lohan and throw my comedic value around this place from time to time, but this uni almost pushed my perky self to depression.

The accommodation is like a concentration camp minus the ethnic cleansing and death (well if you don't count dying inside that is). Strict isn't the word, you get cleaners and security officers at large with master keys just waltzing into your rooms at any time. ALL and I mean ALL of the accommodation is dire, even the 'en-suite' ones I was in. The accommodation isn't just cheap and ill-equipt, whilst being overprices, but it is also dirty, even before you move in. Back to the strict thing, there's just an atmosphere of oppression there, basically to sum it up, I know of four people that got kicked out before Christmas from a noise complaint..

There's no community feel or notable SU. The ones who are active in the uni's 3 societies are all weirdos, and I mean weird! They're the types that go to uni to experience having a social life for the first time in their lives, so if that isn't you, you're basically out of the picture.

Teaching.. (if you can call it that) unless you're doing some form of education don't bother, it's basically a teacher training college. They don't care about anybody who isn't doing education. For instance in English Language we spent two months on the Viking period in Britain in one lesson, I then found out everything in the lecturer's slides was from Wikipedia!! including the maps she was using, and the stuff was the exact same as I had learnt in Year 3!

Oh and don't expect to get a part-time job or have much free time, you have to be in uni 15 hours a week (most unis are 6 hours), these hours are also spread out over 5 days! Meaning it cuts your day up so you don't have any time (don't forget most unis are 2-3 days a week) Oh but it'll only be 4 days if you do education, don't let me forget that.

Also a lot of lessons each week are devoted to 'study skills', basically a lecture and seminar or tutorial, or both devoted to stimulating things like, "what kind of paragraphs do you have in an essay", "how to spend your time wisely, including a pie chart that you have to colour in with how many hours you spend on what" & the best yet "how to google properly". I'm sorry but getting up at 8am to sit in a full 1 hour lecture come 9am about how you should maybe not watch tv and read instead, whilst having this notion and others just recycled and repeated in different forms and then have a follow up lesson about it, is just ridiculous. Oh and this isn't a one off it's every week! With usually the same theme every other week. These lessons/lectures are also under the disguise of real lessons/lectures, so you never know if you're actually going to learn or attempt to learn when you go. Oh and if you don't go you're attendance goes down and they get in your face with threats.

They also don't tell you that you have essays due until a week or so before hand, and it's always mentioned in a way that is like you should have already known, even though not a soul has and it's the first anybody has heard about it.
This is then accompanied by vague essay questions on subjects or topics that are either not covered or that have hardly been covered in class.

On top of all of this awesomeness, there are so many people who have dropped out due to all the things I've just mentioned and more. It's more dissapointing than anything else, luckily I've managed to move universities for next year and I'm going to be able to get back on track as I feel that being at this university has actually made me regress.

Oh and for people just going for 'the nightlife' or because 'they like Liverpool' it really isn't worth it at all. Liverpool is a nice place, however the university manages to suck the fun out of everything, and it's 30-40 minutes away from the centre.
I repeat it's not worth coming here!

I actually know of three people who don't have any history of depression that are now in therapy/on anti-depressants because they can't cope with how they're treated and the dissapointment of it all..

You can sneer, look the other way, or pass this post off as trolling all you want but if just one person doesn't put themselves through the hell of this university because of this.
Well then I can live with that.

Thanks,
LL

Dylstep
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it entirely depends on what course you're doing. From what I've seen it isn't as bad as you put it but then again I could be wrong cause I haven't started... Anyone else agree with her?
NaomiKat92
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I start in September... hope my experience isnt as bad as what yours was cause ive already left one uni to come to this one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
maryamzahid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
wow. I applied to the actual Liverpool uni and john moores and I didn't think hope would be bad at all.
bevgrannell
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I actually am from Liverpool and it has quite a notorious reputation among us. It tends to be viewed as a Teacher training university and most people who want to study degrees such as English, Maths, Science, etc. tend to apply to JMU, Liverpool or Edge Hill because it's reputation is appaling. When I was in Secondary School, we spent a lot of time at Hope on activity days and we were more or less told by the staff that unless we were studying an Education subject, not to even bother going. I also went to an open day with my mates who are both attending in September to study Education and the fella who gave the talk actively said that all their money goes into teaching and they are one of the top universities for Education. As for accommodation, I didn't even think that Hope offered accommodation, I thought you had to find your own which is hard as it is based in Childwall which is at least a twenty minute bus ride from Town where the majority of student accommodation is as that's where both of the main campuses for LJMU And Liverpool are based. So as someone from Liverpool, I kind of agree with LL, go to Hope for teaching, but if you want to study something else, your best bet is LJMU or Liverpool.
maryamzahid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bevgrannell)
I actually am from Liverpool and it has quite a notorious reputation among us. It tends to be viewed as a Teacher training university and most people who want to study degrees such as English, Maths, Science, etc. tend to apply to JMU, Liverpool or Edge Hill because it's reputation is appaling. When I was in Secondary School, we spent a lot of time at Hope on activity days and we were more or less told by the staff that unless we were studying an Education subject, not to even bother going. I also went to an open day with my mates who are both attending in September to study Education and the fella who gave the talk actively said that all their money goes into teaching and they are one of the top universities for Education. As for accommodation, I didn't even think that Hope offered accommodation, I thought you had to find your own which is hard as it is based in Childwall which is at least a twenty minute bus ride from Town where the majority of student accommodation is as that's where both of the main campuses for LJMU And Liverpool are based. So as someone from Liverpool, I kind of agree with LL, go to Hope for teaching, but if you want to study something else, your best bet is LJMU or Liverpool.
yeah, after reading this I looked in to Hope and found out that it is basically a teacher training place and nothing more. A friend of mine applied there last year and has now left because he couldn't take it anymore. The place was too far from the city centre and the facilities were apparently a little run down.
Also, apparently Hope is extremely religious? I don't really know about it that much, but he did say like what LL said, that the societies that were available were mainly to do with religion.

All in all, I think unless you're doing teaching, don't apply there.
BTW, what do people in Liverpool think about Hope? I come from Bradford and I have only heard little about it.
bevgrannell
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by maryamzahid)
yeah, after reading this I looked in to Hope and found out that it is basically a teacher training place and nothing more. A friend of mine applied there last year and has now left because he couldn't take it anymore. The place was too far from the city centre and the facilities were apparently a little run down.
Also, apparently Hope is extremely religious? I don't really know about it that much, but he did say like what LL said, that the societies that were available were mainly to do with religion.

All in all, I think unless you're doing teaching, don't apply there.
BTW, what do people in Liverpool think about Hope? I come from Bradford and I have only heard little about it.
Don't quote me on this cause I'm not 100% sure but I'm sure it started out as a teacher training college which was run by Nuns or had some connection to a local convent or something along those lines, I know the Archbishop has a lot to do with it. Here, it does have a notorious reputation for other subjects as being really poor and also for letting in anyone, like a lot of people tend to go "Oh at least I'll go to Hope." I'd never go there personally because of where it is and also because when I went, I found it to be sort of like "Oh English..." instead of them wanting you to go if you know what I mean. Also, I know that they tend to push a lot of money through the education department and leave the others other than theology and religion departments.
maryamzahid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bevgrannell)
Don't quote me on this cause I'm not 100% sure but I'm sure it started out as a teacher training college which was run by Nuns or had some connection to a local convent or something along those lines, I know the Archbishop has a lot to do with it. Here, it does have a notorious reputation for other subjects as being really poor and also for letting in anyone, like a lot of people tend to go "Oh at least I'll go to Hope." I'd never go there personally because of where it is and also because when I went, I found it to be sort of like "Oh English..." instead of them wanting you to go if you know what I mean. Also, I know that they tend to push a lot of money through the education department and leave the others other than theology and religion departments.
Yeh, my friends were telling me about it, saying that the whole place is just very bad compared to John Moores and Liverpool Uni.
DCF96
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I want to the Hope applicant day and it didn't seem that bad at all. The tutors on my course seemed great. I chose Business Management, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the course there. You can even spend part of your second year studying abroad. The students I talked to seemed happy.

I chose Hope because I wanted a quieter, easier Uni. I was on BBD after AS and was worried I would do worse at A2, but I don't think I did terribly. Should I be applying elsewere?
maryamzahid
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DCF96)
I want to the Hope applicant day and it didn't seem that bad at all. The tutors on my course seemed great. I chose Business Management, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the course there. You can even spend part of your second year studying abroad. The students I talked to seemed happy.

I chose Hope because I wanted a quieter, easier Uni. I was on BBD after AS and was worried I would do worse at A2, but I don't think I did terribly. Should I be applying elsewere?
With hope, a degree is still a degree but firms often do want prestige and that comes with the place you get the degree from. I would chance it with John Moores instead of Hope, it is far better.
JamesFManc
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've been a student at Hope, LJMU, and UoL so can compare the three. I studied psychology. Liverpool Hope is the lowest ranked but LJMU is not highly ranked at all either, it's 90 out of 150 or something. Out of all the three although Liverpool Hope is the worst ranking I found the teaching there much better than the other two (not many people go so there are more teachers to students). Also, at LHU you have the feeling that the staff care about you unlike the other two which seem like they just want your money all the time. In fact if you're just a bit out with payments at LJMU and UoL, they will suspend your work, academic, email accounts etc so that you can't even email them to say why you are a few days out: which exemplifies my point about them being all about money and reputation. Whereas LHU will just chat to you about when can you next payment and sort it out mutually without the one-sided abruptness. Out of the three I've been to LJMU was the worst, UoL next and LHU top. LJMU and UoL have similar numbers of students but LJMU campus looks like a hospital whereas UoL campus looks like quite nice Victorian architecture. All three universities have similar (almost the same) accommodation levels, the only difference is that LHU's is about ten mins from the city centre while the others' are bang in the city centre which is good. On the other hand, LHU's accommodation is cheaper (around £68 p/w) compared with UoL and LJMU at around an average of £123 p/w. There is a prestige with UoL but they don't care about students at all really. So I'd say go, and if you don't like it transfer after the first year to another uni such as LJMU. Transferring is always an option, and you don't lose out by transferring compared anyone who had studied a degree at the transferred-to university from the start.
corax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not quite sure where you got your information from but Hope is only 10/15 minutes away by car/taxi from the city centre. It'll be longer on the bus but it is definitely not 40 minutes.
Sian Appleton
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NaomiKat92)
I start in September... hope my experience isnt as bad as what yours was cause ive already left one uni to come to this one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it helps any I know a lot of people who have gone through and actually done very well and enjoyed it tbf hope it settles you, i'm also starting this September!
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can shop around for accommodation that best suits you regardless of the uni you're at.

I did my MA at Hope having come from a Russel group for undergraduate and was very happy with hope. Lovely sense of community and teaching was just as on form and supportive as I'd have liked it to be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (611)
33.79%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (758)
41.92%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.42%

Watched Threads