The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

English at Bournemouth Uni

Hi

I've applied to do English at Bournemouth for 2014 entry, can anyone on the course tell me if it's any good? ( is it interesting? do they push you? etc)
Or if anyone else has applied let me know! Can't find anyone else that has haha

Thanks!
Hi Olive!
I am in my final year at BU studying in English.
It's still a relatively new course so it does have a few downsides.
However, Bournemouth Media school is really well known and the Uni in general is really good (especially for sports and societies)

I haven't enjoyed my course very much because I was expecting it to be more about Literature, but it's varied.
We have studied
PR, Advertising, Publishing, New Media, Writing for different purposes, children's literature, postmodernism, crime and terror, alternative worlds and a few others.

Most of my coursemates really enjoy it and have had a great time at Bournemouth.

If you're got any other questions feel free to ask!
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by clairehillsmith
Hi Olive!
I am in my final year at BU studying in English.
It's still a relatively new course so it does have a few downsides.
However, Bournemouth Media school is really well known and the Uni in general is really good (especially for sports and societies)

I haven't enjoyed my course very much because I was expecting it to be more about Literature, but it's varied.
We have studied
PR, Advertising, Publishing, New Media, Writing for different purposes, children's literature, postmodernism, crime and terror, alternative worlds and a few others.

Most of my coursemates really enjoy it and have had a great time at Bournemouth.

If you're got any other questions feel free to ask!

Hey, Thanks for the reply!

You mentioned there were some downsides, what sort of downsides?

Do you mind if I ask what you want to do career wise?

At the moment I'm looking to go into journalism, but like you I do want the degree to be fairly literature focused..

Thanks!
Original post by oliveallen
Hey, Thanks for the reply!

You mentioned there were some downsides, what sort of downsides?

Do you mind if I ask what you want to do career wise?

At the moment I'm looking to go into journalism, but like you I do want the degree to be fairly literature focused..

Thanks!

No problem.
Well, I don't think the course is very well structured. Lecturers often seem disorganised or uninterested in really helping us (Although don't get me wrong, there are a couple that are fantastic, it's just whether they teach you or not)

I think the marking criteria isn't followed very well and it has caused some upset between quite a few people that I know.

I'd like to be a journalist, and this course does offer quite a lot if that's your interest but not a huge about of literature.
I think you might be best finding a uni that offers a double honours like English Lit with Journalism (or something similar)

If you see my point?

But again, most people who go to Bournemouth Uni absolutely love it, I just have a slightly different opinion.
Reply 4
Original post by clairehillsmith
No problem.
Well, I don't think the course is very well structured. Lecturers often seem disorganised or uninterested in really helping us (Although don't get me wrong, there are a couple that are fantastic, it's just whether they teach you or not)

I think the marking criteria isn't followed very well and it has caused some upset between quite a few people that I know.

I'd like to be a journalist, and this course does offer quite a lot if that's your interest but not a huge about of literature.
I think you might be best finding a uni that offers a double honours like English Lit with Journalism (or something similar)

If you see my point?

But again, most people who go to Bournemouth Uni absolutely love it, I just have a slightly different opinion.

I was wondering if there are plenty of opportunities about workplacements and gaining media-related experience in and out of the campus.And how they rate ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending