Does economics get more interesting in uni? Watch

StarSurvivor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have applied for economics courses and have received some offers. However, I find that I am incredibly bored by my IB economics course and I absolutely cannot motivate myself to study because I dislike the subject so much.
Does this get better at uni or is this a sign that this course is not right for me?
Has anybody else experienced this?
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by StarSurvivor)
I have applied for economics courses and have received some offers. However, I find that I am incredibly bored by my IB economics course and I absolutely cannot motivate myself to study because I dislike the subject so much.
Does this get better at uni or is this a sign that this course is not right for me?
Think mathematical and statistical models, economic models. Those things certainly excite me.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Economics always strikes me as a very turgid subject.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it's a pretty clear sign.

I read Economics, and it's pretty much what you think it is. Stats, some finance and maths, some accountancy - but mostly a ton of micro and macro.
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It hugely depends. What do you enjoy about it, and what do you not enjoy? Can you narrow it down?

Economics is not only a discipline in its own right, but is a toolkit so to speak. So even if you're not enamored with the subject itself, the tools and way of thinking it teachers you allows you to tackle other problems in a coherent and methodical manner.

As for the discipline itself, there are three broad areas - microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics.

Starting with econometrics, this is a combination of mathematical and statistical theory. It can be either applied in nature or theoretical; applied econometrics you will use as a tool in other areas of economics (it is essentially statistical analysis), whereas theoretical econometrics is essentially mathematical statistics.

Microeconomics covers topics such as consumer theory and production theory. Theoretical microeconomics is mostly game theory, auctions, etc. and you will be looking at the way agents in the economy behave and interact with each other. Applied economics is a vast area, covering health care economics, sports economics, development economics, most of labour economics and international trade.

In macroeconomics, you will cover things such as economic growth, stochastic models, international finance (looking how assets move across countries, exchange rates, etc.). Then you have areas like financial economics which link macroeconomics and finance, or you could look at empirical asset pricing, which is a combination of financial economics and econometrics.

These are just some random questions that economics enables you to look into and answer:

- Why do countries trade with each other? How do subsidies and quotas/tariffs affect trade flow? Do exchange rate fluctuations affect trade flow, or maybe currency unions (eg the eurozone)?
- What drives economic growth? What factors affect these drivers of economic growth? How do exchange rates move in relation to economic growth, or changes in the stock market?
- Does free trade actually work, or is fair trade the answer? Has the EU positively impacted on economic growth or trade with foreign trade partners? Was the Eurozone a success in economic terms?
- How does foreign aid impact a local economy; is it helping or hurting? What factors affect how the aid is used? What can be done to change these factors or ensure that aid is being used correctly?

Or more esoteric questions, like, how does a person's consumption pattern change in relation to economic indicators or forecasts - is there a conscious decision process? How do companies change supply in respect to economic forecasts, or do they rely solely on demand?

There are loads more - my questions are more limited I suppose because I've focused in the area of international macro-finance and econometric theory.

But yeah, economics is a huge discipline -- check some of the links in my signature.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (95)
16.75%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (59)
10.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (100)
17.64%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (85)
14.99%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (57)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (171)
30.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise