Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Haven't seen a thread for this yet, and thought it would be a good idea to get one up and running since the exam is only less than 3 weeks away. :eek:

How confident are you feeling with the exam and your revision so far? And what do you think will come up on the exam this year?

ReputationRep:
    How are there no threads on this yet haha!

Ah the exam is so soon, how's your revision for it going? There's so much to learn and the cosmological argument makes my head hurt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raddy49)
    How are there no threads on this yet haha!

Ah the exam is so soon, how's your revision for it going? There's so much to learn and the cosmological argument makes my head hurt

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know right!

Revision is going okay, I feel I get everything on a basic level, but not enough to write an essay about certain points (like the Goodness of God or Creationism).

I've just revised the Cosmological Argument, what part are you struggling with?

ReputationRep:
    Just all of the Christianity stuff! And Kant is quite confusing sometimes...I am so nervous for the exam!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, I was wondering how much you usually write for you part A and B's? The time in the exam is so constrained!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what is predicted to come up in ethics? theres not much on these threads this year lol x

ReputationRep:
    I know right!! One of my teachers said natural law will probably be on this year I think! How are you finding philosophy and ethics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys i only just started proper hardcore revision this weekend..
    BUT, ive made revision sheets/mindmaps/flashcards at the end of each topic going along, so i already have all those, so dont need to bother rewriting them, ill just be reading over them the next few days then planning questions i should be fine..
    I got an A in the mock with a few days revision so fingers crossed!
    i do Ethics & New Testament.. which is so vague and theres hardly any revision guides for it :s

I hope Natural Law/Kant comes up for Ethics and please not Genetic Engineering lol
    goodluck all, i plan to do it for A2 and really want an A
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    I got an A for philosophy last yr. 96% !! But resitting Ethics! I haven't revised... I start today, so that's gonnna be fun! I do hope Kant and Natural Law comes up as they seem to be quite straight forward though!

ReputationRep:
    Just all of the Christianity stuff! And Kant is quite confusing sometimes...I am so nervous for the exam!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also, I was wondering how much you usually write for you part A and B's? The time in the exam is so constrained!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough, I think the Christianity stuff is the most boring part of it. The Greek influences part is straightforward and interesting, but doesn't really come up that much. Kant isn't that bad as he simply thinks that we know what is right and wrong from within and both the moral argument and his ethics are ways to show it.

I personally just write as much as I can. I'm a slow writer but I tend to get 2.5 sides for part A (sometimes less or more) and just under 1 page for part B. If I'm time constrained I maximise my part A as much as possible, since that's the one with the most potential for higher marks while B requires a lot more thinking for less marks.

(Original post by Nayxxx)
    Does anyone know what is predicted to come up in ethics? theres not much on these threads this year lol x
    Yes, it's very quiet on this thread unlike the previous years!

War and Peace could pop up since it's not very popular on the past papers. I have a feeling teleological/deontological ethics may appear, since they've never came up before while absolute and relative ethics/morality have. Utilitarianism has been very popular in the past, appearing on most of the papers. Other than that, it could be anything.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys, I remember doing this last year!

Just remember to read the question properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serebro)
    Fair enough, I think the Christianity stuff is the most boring part of it. The Greek influences part is straightforward and interesting, but doesn't really come up that much. Kant isn't that bad as he simply thinks that we know what is right and wrong from within and both the moral argument and his ethics are ways to show it.

I personally just write as much as I can. I'm a slow writer but I tend to get 2.5 sides for part A (sometimes less or more) and just under 1 page for part B. If I'm time constrained I maximise my part A as much as possible, since that's the one with the most potential for higher marks while B requires a lot more thinking for less marks.

Yes, it's very quiet on this thread unlike the previous years!

War and Peace could pop up since it's not very popular on the past papers. I have a feeling teleological/deontological ethics may appear, since they've never came up before while absolute and relative ethics/morality have. Utilitarianism has been very popular in the past, appearing on most of the papers. Other than that, it could be anything.

Yeah your right I heard teleological/ deontogical and war and peace may come up. I'm going to post some predicted questions below

ReputationRep:
    Alright so basically there's a man called Peter Baron who writes revision books for philosophy and ethics and every year he does predictions (he's an examiner too and philosophy teacher too) . My teacher gave us a resource which told us predictions for this year and he is pretty accurate but obviously don't just stick to these but you can just use them as a guidance !

Ethics.
    OCR
    By Peter Baron

AS Ethics
    Question 1
    a. Explain what is meant by "moral relativism".

b. "Relativism is the best approach to issues surrounding genetic engineering". Discuss.

Question 2
    a. Explain the main principles of Natural Law approach to ethics.

b. "Natural law is the best approach to issues surrounding the right to a child (or issues surrounding abortion)". Discuss.

Question 3
    a. Explain how the concepts of sanctity of life and quality of life apply to issues surrounding abortion.

b. "Only utilitarian ethics satisfactorily accounts for quality of life issues". Discuss.

Question 4
    a. Explain how a Religion of your choice approaches issues surrounding going to War.

b. "A Just War is impossible". Discuss.

Question 5
    a. Explain what is meant by "deontological ethics".

b. "Deontological ethics is inflexible". Discuss.

Question 6
    a. Explain the main differences between a teleological and deontological approach to ethics.

b. "Teleological ethics is of more practical use than deontological ethics" Discuss.

Philosophy
    OCR
    By Peter Baron

AS Philosophy of Religion
    Question 1
    a. Explain Aquinas' first, second and third ways to proving God's existence.

b. To what extent are Hume's challenges to causation successful in critiquing the cosmological argument?

Question 2
    a. Explain what Aristotle meant by the Final Cause.

b. "Aristotle's theory of knowledge is more believable than Plato's." Discuss.

Question 3
    a. Explain why some scientists do not believe that God created the universe.

b. Evaluate the claim that the Bible tells us nothing about the creation of the universe.

Question 4
    a. Explain what it means to call God creator 'Ex Nihilo'.

b. "God is more designer than creator." Discuss.

Hope it helps guys and good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    Alright so basically there's a man called Peter Baron who writes revision books for philosophy and ethics and every year he does predictions (he's an examiner too and philosophy teacher too) . My teacher gave us a resource which told us predictions for this year and he is pretty accurate but obviously don't just stick to these but you can just use them as a guidance !

Ethics.
    OCR
    By Peter Baron

AS Ethics
    Question 1
    a. Explain what is meant by "moral relativism".

b. "Relativism is the best approach to issues surrounding genetic engineering". Discuss.

Question 2
    a. Explain the main principles of Natural Law approach to ethics.

b. "Natural law is the best approach to issues surrounding the right to a child (or issues surrounding abortion)". Discuss.

Question 3
    a. Explain how the concepts of sanctity of life and quality of life apply to issues surrounding abortion.

b. "Only utilitarian ethics satisfactorily accounts for quality of life issues". Discuss.

Question 4
    a. Explain how a Religion of your choice approaches issues surrounding going to War.

b. "A Just War is impossible". Discuss.

Question 5
    a. Explain what is meant by "deontological ethics".

b. "Deontological ethics is inflexible". Discuss.

Question 6
    a. Explain the main differences between a teleological and deontological approach to ethics.

b. "Teleological ethics is of more practical use than deontological ethics" Discuss.

Philosophy
    OCR
    By Peter Baron

AS Philosophy of Religion
    Question 1
    a. Explain Aquinas' first, second and third ways to proving God's existence.

b. To what extent are Hume's challenges to causation successful in critiquing the cosmological argument?

Question 2
    a. Explain what Aristotle meant by the Final Cause.

b. "Aristotle's theory of knowledge is more believable than Plato's." Discuss.

Question 3
    a. Explain why some scientists do not believe that God created the universe.

b. Evaluate the claim that the Bible tells us nothing about the creation of the universe.

Question 4
    a. Explain what it means to call God creator 'Ex Nihilo'.

b. "God is more designer than creator." Discuss.

Hope it helps guys and good luck xx
    Thank you so much! I'm obviously going to take this with a pinch of salt, but it will certainly help me as I can cover my weakness in case these questions do come up in the exam. Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Really dreading this exam more than my others! I think natural law could come up in ethics to be fair

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Very useful

How do you all revise for philosophy and ethics? At the moment I'm planning loads of essays for possible questions that could come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have any of your teachers made predictions? Mine said goodness of god and cosmo/teleo for philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree. There are no threads

I also wanna know the predictions

ReputationRep:
    Hoping if I do **** in philos, I'll make up for it with the ethics exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazzling_Belinda)
    I agree. There are no threads

I also wanna know the predictions

scroll up i posted predictions for philos and ethics

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.