The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

1st year Business management student, living on the vale- feel free to ask questions

Doing this for a piece of work but also to help people who have any questions about the uni, accommodation, courses, night life etc.

I am on the 3 year Business Management programme, living in Shackleton.

:smile:
Reply 1
Hi! I am an international student thinking of studying at University of Birmingham this september,and I had an offer of 4 year Business Management programme.

Are there any differences between 3 year and 4 year programme? (I knew that 4 year programme offers a placement) And how do u feel about this programme?(like teachers,students and exam...) besides,how many students are in your class,and what does ur class consist of?(like how many international students are in ur class...)

I'm struggling to choose between bristol(Management) and birmingham uni(Business Management),what do u think of it?

I would be grateful to get assistance :smile:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by echoyao2
Hi! I am an international student thinking of studying at University of Birmingham this september,and I had an offer of 4 year Business Management programme.

Are there any differences between 3 year and 4 year programme? (I knew that 4 year programme offers a placement) And how do u feel about this programme?(like teachers,students and exam...) besides,how many students are in your class,and what does ur class consist of?(like how many international students are in ur class...)

I'm struggling to choose between bristol(Management) and birmingham uni(Business Management),what do u think of it?

I would be grateful to get assistance :smile:

Sorry for the delay in replying. Congratulations on your offer! The only difference between the 3 and 4 year course is the placement which takes place in the 3rd year. The first and second years are identical to the 3 year programme.

The 3 year programme is ideal for getting a wider understanding of business. You cover all the functional areas of a business and as you move through the course you get to narrow it down in terms of modules to a functional area you are interested in. The teachers so far have been good, very approachable and willing to help. Students are friendly and there are actually quite a few international student on this course.

This course is one of the most popular and there are roughly 250/300 places. This means that lectures are usually much bigger than other courses bet seminar classes are limited to about 20/25 students.

The decision between where you want to go very much depends on what you want to get out of it. Bristol is straight management so I can only assume that it probably isn't as business focused as Birmingham. it will probably be more theoretical than practical whereas Birmingham will be more relevant to business environment and organisation. Both are good uni's with a good reputation. Personally I think birmingham is better but that is probably a view warped by bias :smile:

Either way, visit them both and go where you feel most comfortable. Keep in mind that you do have to live there so it isn't purely the course, take into account of the social factors too :smile:

Hope that helps!
Hi! I'm looking to start in 2015 and this may be a bit of a weird question but are there any bohemian/ hippie areas in Birmingham to chill out at, also is there typical accommodation areas where most gap year students stay in, as it would be great to spend time with people that love travelling like me,
Sorry again for weird question,
Reply 4
Original post by GWR94
Sorry for the delay in replying. Congratulations on your offer! The only difference between the 3 and 4 year course is the placement which takes place in the 3rd year. The first and second years are identical to the 3 year programme.

The 3 year programme is ideal for getting a wider understanding of business. You cover all the functional areas of a business and as you move through the course you get to narrow it down in terms of modules to a functional area you are interested in. The teachers so far have been good, very approachable and willing to help. Students are friendly and there are actually quite a few international student on this course.

This course is one of the most popular and there are roughly 250/300 places. This means that lectures are usually much bigger than other courses bet seminar classes are limited to about 20/25 students.

The decision between where you want to go very much depends on what you want to get out of it. Bristol is straight management so I can only assume that it probably isn't as business focused as Birmingham. it will probably be more theoretical than practical whereas Birmingham will be more relevant to business environment and organisation. Both are good uni's with a good reputation. Personally I think birmingham is better but that is probably a view warped by bias :smile:

Either way, visit them both and go where you feel most comfortable. Keep in mind that you do have to live there so it isn't purely the course, take into account of the social factors too :smile:

Hope that helps!

thanks for the info, really helpful! :smile:
Reply 5
from one business management student to the other, how ripped off do you feel?

Does it feel like nursery or uni to you?
Reply 6
Original post by Ggmu!
from one business management student to the other, how ripped off do you feel?

Does it feel like nursery or uni to you?

I think I would feel ripped off with any degree I do paying £9,000k a year, but thats the way it is I guess. The first business management year seems like its just consolidating the basics, if you have done A-level business or an equivalent then yes, it seems a little repetitive. 2nd and third year should be better as it is more in-depth and you get to pick your modules. Where do you study?
hi,
I've got a place to start Business Management in Sept 2014. I'm looking at commuting but live an hours drive away from the university. I was wondering what the timetable was like for this year? How many hours contact time it was for a week and if it was every day I'd have to go in ?
Reply 8
Original post by geeorgiaevem
hi,
I've got a place to start Business Management in Sept 2014. I'm looking at commuting but live an hours drive away from the university. I was wondering what the timetable was like for this year? How many hours contact time it was for a week and if it was every day I'd have to go in ?

Congrats on your place! The day is from 9am to 6pm and the majority of lectures are 2 hours, seminars being only one hour. You would be going in every day and may even have a 9am lecture and possibly a 4-6. First semester for me was registered so they know if you miss lectures or not, second semester only seminars are registered. Lecture hours for me were 11 hours plus five 1 hour seminars fortnightly (they aren't all on the same week) so you will probably have about 13/14 hours a week.

hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending