The Student Room Group

Dissertation Dilemma

Hi Guys

I have a major problem that im afraid is going to wreck my entire degree, I am currently less than 2 weeks away from dissertation hand in, I have all my required data etc but due to suffering from severe OCD and depression I have struggled to start writing it up. I know many of you are thinking 'typical lazy student' but please let me stress that my OCD is extreme and I struggle to focus on any other work until what triggers it has been dealt with, this in turn causes me to have depression quite bad.

My dissertation is 10'000 words and so far I have around 1500. it needs to be handed in by the 5th of May, I already have 4 weeks extra due to having a support plan because of my OCD, can it be done? i'm not the fastest at typing and often need to stop for a break.

Any advice would be brilliant on how I should plan my time. I also have a 14 month old son which I have home with me on Weds and Thurs as child care costs too much for a full week, so work is limited to night times on these days. Oh and just to chuck another problem in there, I also have an exam on the 29th which I need to fit revision in for.

Again, please no hate guys as that really wont help me at this point.
Thanks
Rob.
Reply 1
Hi Rob

If you have no other options then you will have to just do it as best you can. I think it's defo doable, esp considering you have already done 15% so only 8,500 to go :smile: It's not as difficult as it seems if you break it down.

I have a 8-10,000 word dissertation due on 28th April but plan to get it bound this Fri/Sat (..ahhh), then a 2,500 word essay on 29th April that I will start after diss. I only started on my diss this week as I work full time and have taken leave from work to do it, have done about half of it so far. I also procrastinate a lot and I find it really hard to concentrate and stay on task :frown:

I'm not sure what type of diss you're doing but do you have some sort of plan? Mine is qualitiative research and looks like this:

Title
Declaration
Contents
Acknowledgements
Abstract
Introduction (1000)
Literature review (3500)
Methodology (1200)
Results (1200)
Discussion (1200)
Conclusion (1000)
Appendices

If you concentrate on one section at a time it will be much less daunting. You have a good 8-10 days until your deadline, depending on when you want to finish to get it bound and handed in.

So you just need to do 1000 words per day (around 2 pages) which really isn't much once you start writing. Take regular breaks if it helps you work more effectively, I would suggest something like work 50min (aim to do 200 words) then take a 10min break. If you do this you will meet your 1000 words in 5 hours.

As for the exam, you should still have a couple of hours a day to revise if you stick to a plan. However you could do less words every day until the exam to focus on revision, then do more once it's out the way.

I really need to get back on task and stop procrastinating as haven't done much today :colondollar:
Hope this helps and you find the motivation to get it done, Amy x
Reply 2
Hi Amy,

The way you have put it makes it seem a lot less daunting. 1000 words day is certainly doable. You have been a great help. Thank you very much and good luck with yours.

Rob

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending