The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
garytse86
you know you get to put 4 medical schools down, and for the remaining two, what courses can you apply for? Surely you cannot put something like physics?

something like biomedical sciences, medical sciences, pharmacy..
Reply 2
ShOcKzZ
something like biomedical sciences, medical sciences, pharmacy..

actually..anything. since the uni can't see what else you've applied for..
Reply 3
ShOcKzZ
actually..anything. since the uni can't see what else you've applied for..

anything that is related to the personal statement
Reply 4
garytse86
you know you get to put 4 medical schools down, and for the remaining two, what courses can you apply for? Surely you cannot put something like physics?

You can put whatever you like down! Of course your PS will scream Medicine....
Reply 5
i know unis are not supposed to know what you have applied for, but I have heard that they actually know, even the names of other unis you applied to.
Reply 6
cant remember which one, i tihnk the sheffield ? prospectus says don;t put down something like lwa because that shows you are unsure about your career. but i think some otherprespectuses asys that they can't prejudge you
Reply 7
garytse86
i know unis are not supposed to know what you have applied for, but I have heard that they actually know, even the names of other unis you applied to.

No they don't.

Once you've made your decision on where to go though, all your other offers and rejections become visible to all unis you applied too...
Reply 8
garytse86

Have you come across:

http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/

yet? It's med and dentistry specific and you can find out (by asking this question) the diversity of courses people put donw to make up there remaining choices.

You, of course, don't have to put down any non-med courses, you could just apply for 4.
Reply 9
The spare course choices can be used to apply for anything - whether it is related to medicine or not, however its probably best to choose one similar courses so that it fits in with whatever you have written in your personal statement. I decided to leave the 2 extra course choices blank, as if I haden't got in, I was planning to reapply the following year, rather than just doing another course.
Reply 10
Bitewing
The spare course choices can be used to apply for anything - whether it is related to medicine or not, however its probably best to choose one similar courses so that it fits in with whatever you have written in your personal statement. I decided to leave the 2 extra course choices blank, as if I haden't got in, I was planning to reapply the following year, rather than just doing another course.

That's a good idea, UCAS also allow you to add the remaining two to your original 4 choices later on.This is especially useful if you don't get many offers. It gives you a bit of a breathing space to research any other courses like Medical Physics.
Not sure whether you can add another 2 med schools if you get rejected from the first 4... perhaps someone else might know.
Reply 11
Geogger
That's a good idea, UCAS also allow you to add the remaining two to your original 4 choices later on.This is especially useful if you don't get many offers. It gives you a bit of a breathing space to research any other courses like Medical Physics.
Not sure whether you can add another 2 med schools if you get rejected from the first 4... perhaps someone else might know.

No you can't, but you can add two, then cancel them and try Extra.

Having said that, only Newcastle/Durham entered Extra for medicine this year...
Reply 12
thanks a lot fluffy the website was extremely useful!!!!
Reply 13
You know how you are only aloud four for medicine/dentistry & veterinary, what if you choose four of one and two of the other.

e.g. 4 for veterinary and 2 for medicine

Is this allowed?

Also if your PS isn't going to be aimed towards a certain course can you not ask the university if they will accept a separate PS for that course?
Reply 14
Hawk
You know how you are only aloud four for medicine/dentistry & veterinary, what if you choose four of one and two of the other.

e.g. 4 for veterinary and 2 for medicine

Is this allowed?

Also if your PS isn't going to be aimed towards a certain course can you not ask the university if they will accept a separate PS for that course?

No - you're only allowed a total of 4 courses for medicine or vetinary or dentistry or a mix...

As yes - most unis will accept supporting information. Plenty of med applicants I know wrote separate PS for their other two courses and sent them directly to the uni. Make sure your UCAS number is on the additional PS though.....
Reply 15
_ELiTeCaRR_
anything that is related to the personal statement

my two other ones were neuroscience/psychology & neuroscience/history so only a tenuous link! & i used the same PS.. i suppose it depends what your grades/subjects are like & how popular their course is, but i got offers for both of those as well!
Reply 16
Elles
my two other ones were neuroscience/psychology & neuroscience/history so only a tenuous link! & i used the same PS.. i suppose it depends what your grades/subjects are like & how popular their course is, but i got offers for both of those as well!

good going :smile: im elitecarr/cookie btw
Reply 17
Fluffy
No - you're only allowed a total of 4 courses for medicine or vetinary or dentistry or a mix...

As yes - most unis will accept supporting information. Plenty of med applicants I know wrote separate PS for their other two courses and sent them directly to the uni. Make sure your UCAS number is on the additional PS though.....

Its definately not a good idea to put down a combination of vetinary, dentistry and medicine, - otherwise it will make personal statment writing a nightmare, - and if they suspect that you've applied to different professions they will assume you aren't dedicated and may not get an interview.
Reply 18
Bitewing
Its definately not a good idea to put down a combination of vetinary, dentistry and medicine, - otherwise it will make personal statment writing a nightmare, - and if they suspect that you've applied to different professions they will assume you aren't dedicated and may not get an interview.

agreed, you CANNOT have two dentistry, two med lol your ucas statement would look JIPPED
Reply 19
DazzYa10
agreed, you CANNOT have two dentistry, two med lol your ucas statement would look JIPPED

you can... I know someone last year that applied to two med and two dentistry - wanted to go into Max. Fac. PS concentrated on both areas of med and dentistry - they got 2 offers for med and 1 for dentistry...

But unles you know what you want to do enough to write a lucid PS, I would avoid it - just makes you look indescisive and uncommitted....

Latest

Trending

Trending