3 week Japan itinerary help

Watch
mysticalfluffy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have just 3 weeks, 17th July-6th August. I'd like to know how long to spend in Tokyo and Kyoto (essentials I should see and day trips from both). Is it worth going to Hiroshima too?

Here is an idea, any suggestions would be welcome. Looking to condense down this list too.

tokyo, koyasan, mt.Fuji, kyoto (also with a trip to Nara), shiga (to visit a friend), hiroshima with a day trip to bunny island, takayama or kanazawa, Jigokudani Monkey Park, kumano kodo, Kiso valley, (Tokyo), maybe Okinawa, Nikko, -not sure whether we should do mt fuji at the beginning or end, Tokyo
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
please?
Wildx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When are you going?
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wildx)
When are you going?
Mid July to early August.
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lizfairy)
I have just 3 weeks, 17th July-6th August. I'd like to know how long to spend in Tokyo and Kyoto (essentials I should see and day trips from both). Is it worth going to Hiroshima too?

Here is an idea, any suggestions would be welcome. Looking to condense down this list too.

tokyo, koyasan, mt.Fuji, kyoto (also with a trip to Nara), shiga (to visit a friend), hiroshima with a day trip to bunny island, takayama or kanazawa, Jigokudani Monkey Park, kumano kodo, Kiso valley, (Tokyo), maybe Okinawa, Nikko, -not sure whether we should do mt fuji at the beginning or end, Tokyo
I would say that your list is a little long for 3 weeks. If it was me I would rather spend a longer time in fewer places, as there is just SO MUCH going on all the time.

I would definitely recommend spending some time in Kyoto/Osaka and Nara. Hiroshima is also a definite, it's a really lovely city. I lived in Japan for a year and I actually think it's worth spending lots more time outside of Tokyo (although Tokyo is awesome, it's not really like the rest of Japan imho...) rather than in Tokyo. I lived near Kanazawa - it's really a great city, but if you've only got three weeks it might be better to focus on some other places...?

Another thing to think about - if you want to go to Gifu or more rural areas you will need a car to get about/get to the best places. There's also not much english around and it can be difficult to find out where to go. Can you speak Japanese? If you want to go rural, a really good way for doing that is to find a host on couchsurfing who can show you around.

Little things that you should do :

1) Take loads of pirikura!
2) Visit an onsen/sento.
3) 100yen sushi train!
4) Find a tiny, weirdly themed bar (they're in the high-rise buildings). Make friends with the owner.
5) Get destroyed at Tekken by some super-kid in an amusement arcade.
6) Karaoke!
7) Stay in a traditional Japanese guest house.
8) Visit a temple and get your fortune.

Oh yeah - you're going in August. TAKE INSECT REPELLENT. Because their mosquitos are BRUTAL.

Also - bring little presents/gifts that you can give to people you meet/make friends with. It will go down very well.
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
I would say that your list is a little long for 3 weeks. If it was me I would rather spend a longer time in fewer places, as there is just SO MUCH going on all the time.

I would definitely recommend spending some time in Kyoto/Osaka and Nara. Hiroshima is also a definite, it's a really lovely city. I lived in Japan for a year and I actually think it's worth spending lots more time outside of Tokyo (although Tokyo is awesome, it's not really like the rest of Japan imho...) rather than in Tokyo. I lived near Kanazawa - it's really a great city, but if you've only got three weeks it might be better to focus on some other places...?

Another thing to think about - if you want to go to Gifu or more rural areas you will need a car to get about/get to the best places. There's also not much english around and it can be difficult to find out where to go. Can you speak Japanese? If you want to go rural, a really good way for doing that is to find a host on couchsurfing who can show you around.

Little things that you should do :

1) Take loads of pirikura!
2) Visit an onsen/sento.
3) 100yen sushi train!
4) Find a tiny, weirdly themed bar (they're in the high-rise buildings). Make friends with the owner.
5) Get destroyed at Tekken by some super-kid in an amusement arcade.
6) Karaoke!
7) Stay in a traditional Japanese guest house.
8) Visit a temple and get your fortune.

Oh yeah - you're going in August. TAKE INSECT REPELLENT. Because their mosquitos are BRUTAL.

Also - bring little presents/gifts that you can give to people you meet/make friends with. It will go down very well.
Thanks, yes I know I need to edit down the list a bit but not sure which places to prioritize? Any experience with particularly good onsens?
What is the 100yen sushi train? :P
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lizfairy)
Thanks, yes I know I need to edit down the list a bit but not sure which places to prioritize? Any experience with particularly good onsens?
What is the 100yen sushi train? :P
I would just Kyoto/Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima and Tokyo. Like I said, unless you go down the couchsurfing route it's probably not worth going rural, and you've only got three weeks so don't spend the whole time on a train! There is SO MUCH going on all the time that you're going to want to spend a bit of time in all these places.

The best onsen I went to was in Gifu, it was outside next to a raging river in the mountains. But you can't get there unless you drive/know where it is. There are Sento all over the place, you can just ask people. I would recommend making some friends and getting them to take you to one.

Sushi train is conveyor belt sushi (like yo! sushi). 100 yen is really, really cheap. Highly recommended to nurse a hangover with.

To be honest, if you haven't been to Japan before you are going to have an awesome time no matter where you go or what you do.
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
I would just Kyoto/Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima and Tokyo. Like I said, unless you go down the couchsurfing route it's probably not worth going rural, and you've only got three weeks so don't spend the whole time on a train! There is SO MUCH going on all the time that you're going to want to spend a bit of time in all these places.

The best onsen I went to was in Gifu, it was outside next to a raging river in the mountains. But you can't get there unless you drive/know where it is. There are Sento all over the place, you can just ask people. I would recommend making some friends and getting them to take you to one.

Sushi train is conveyor belt sushi (like yo! sushi). 100 yen is really, really cheap. Highly recommended to nurse a hangover with.

To be honest, if you haven't been to Japan before you are going to have an awesome time no matter where you go or what you do.
Sounds great, I have a Japanese friend and I think she wants to take us to one near Nikko.

I have one concern, I am traveling with my boyfriend and he wants to take 3-4 days out to go to Okinawa. Is it really worth it, we are going to Vietnam after Japan so I guess we will have plenty of beaches...
reyjusuf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you can easily spend a week in Tokyo and 4 nights in Kyoto. if you want to visit Koyasan then another 3 nights in Osaka. then 3 nights in Hiroshima and 3 nights in Mt. Fuji you're good ^^
mysticalfluffy
Rep:
?
How does this look?

advice about accommodation, distances and a logical order would be very welcome.

17 Tokyo
18 mt Fiji (obviously these trips don’t have to happen on specific days)
19 mt fiji
20 day trip to monkey park
21 not a full day exploring Tokyo-probably more time needed here at the end? Evening head to Kyoto-nearer the time we could decide to substitute one of these dates for a night in Shiga (21-25th)
23 day trip to Nara
25 Koyasan one night stay in some Buddhist temple
27 Hiroshima-shall we bother? Bunny island, war peace memorial and island-Miyajima

29 Takayama-not sure we will make it on the 29th as there are loads of train changes and it takes about 6 hours, may need one night stopover along the way, somewhere like Osaka? Or ideally if it would be okay to stay in Shiga at this point, if so we could push the date back by a day.

31 August Takayama-kiso valley
2 Tokyo-Nikko-onsen OR Minakami and then we do a day trip to Nikko earlier on.
4 head back to Tokyo
5 Tokyo
6 Vietnam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (387)
56.58%
I don't have everything I need (297)
43.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed