Open University Psychology degree - feeling disheartened :(

Watch
Loubelle87
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi

I've been feeling really down recently about my progress on my course. I'm studying towards the Bsc Psychology degree and I'm 3/4 way through my second level 2 course. For my first level 2 course (Counselling), which isn't a core module, I got a grade 3 pass which, I understand, is the equivalent to a 2:2.

My current level 2 course (Exploring Psychology) is a compulsory module and I've so far got 2 TMAs in the 2:1 bracket (over 70% albeit just) and 2 TMAs in the 2:2 bracket (over 60%). I have two TMAs left to complete and an exam in June.

I feel like I am on my way to getting another 2:2 overall result for this module.

I'm studying this degree to hopefully go onto a Masters in Forensic Psychology and later become a forensic psychologist.

I'm currently 26 (nearly 27) years old and by the time I complete this, I'll be 30. I'm working full time in a very demanding job and I'm also planning a wedding. Life is really getting in the way of studying at the moment and I find myself so tired that I can't face picking up the books and facing pages and pages of text. I'm trying to dedicate more time but since finding out the OU marking system is different to other universities (!) I've become disheartened in realising I'm actually not doing as well as I thought.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Im' worried my ambition will fall flat on it's face as I am feeling too average to succeed and a 2:2 isn't going to get me onto a Masters course let alone a job in forensics. I don't want to jack it in, and I won't, but I just wandered if anyone else has felt this way in their studies? I've spoken to my fiance and parents about it but I'd really like to hear how other OU students cope with this.

Also, does anyone know why the marking system is different?

Thanks

Louise
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Loubelle87)
Hi

I've been feeling really down recently about my progress on my course. I'm studying towards the Bsc Psychology degree and I'm 3/4 way through my second level 2 course. For my first level 2 course (Counselling), which isn't a core module, I got a grade 3 pass which, I understand, is the equivalent to a 2:2.
Hey,
I think a lot of people could relate to how you're feeling. I'm going to move your thread into the Open University forum, as I reckon you'll find more people with direct experience of what you're describing in there. All the best - and stick with it!
psyc_postgrad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

My current level 2 course (Exploring Psychology) is a compulsory module and I've so far got 2 TMAs in the 2:1 bracket (over 70% albeit just) and 2 TMAs in the 2:2 bracket (over 60%). I have two TMAs left to complete and an exam in June.

I feel like I am on my way to getting another 2:2 overall result for this module.

I'm studying this degree to hopefully go onto a Masters in Forensic Psychology and later become a forensic psychologist.

I'm currently 26 (nearly 27) years old and by the time I complete this, I'll be 30. I'm working full time in a very demanding job and I'm also planning a wedding. Life is really getting in the way of studying at the moment and I find myself so tired that I can't face picking up the books and facing pages and pages of text. I'm trying to dedicate more time but since finding out the OU marking system is different to other universities (!) I've become disheartened in realising I'm actually not doing as well as I thought.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Im' worried my ambition will fall flat on it's face as I am feeling too average to succeed and a 2:2 isn't going to get me onto a Masters course let alone a job in forensics. I don't want to jack it in, and I won't, but I just wandered if anyone else has felt this way in their studies? I've spoken to my fiance and parents about it but I'd really like to hear how other OU students cope with this.

Thanks

Louise

Hi Louise,

Keep pushing on! I got a 2:2 in Psychology from the OU in 1999 and I was very disappointed as I desperately wanted a 2:1. However, I got offers for several Health Psychology MSc courses - got a Distinction for my MSc - and went on to do a PhD.

The OU's grading scheme is very tough, but unfortunately there's nothing you can do about that.

Are you building up any practical experience that relates to Forensic Psychology? I think this would help you to get on an MSc with a 2:2.
sputum
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you can get up to a 2:1 for this module you need to get one grade 2 60-pointer and one grade 3 60-pointer and you have your 2:1 (I've only scanned the psych degree stuff but the L3s all look to be 60 points which ruled out my first idea)

and (if it's the same as maths) one of your grade 3 TMAs can be substituted so hitting that might not be as difficult as it seems. There is hopefully an assessment calculator on the module website.

Then two shots at a grade 2 L3 (if you have no grade 2s at L2 you will need grade 2s/grade 1 and grade 3 for L3 which leaves no room for error but that's only with the information to hand)
Minniemousexx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can totally relate to this. I'm doing exploring psychology now with the same timing as you and it is such a hard module! Just as you have finished one TMA, it's onto the next one and with the exam getting closer we have that to be thinking of too.
I think what you have to remember is that if it helps your grade a TMA will be substituted automatically for you, which will bring your grade up. Also there is ED209, DD303 and DD307 which all also count for your classification so you can really bring your grade up with them. I saw someone say 212 is the hardest as it flits from one perspective to another whereas the others focus on one subject area.
I think the previous posters advice to get some work experience is really good advice - you could definitely have a chance of getting onto a masters with a 2.2 and relevant work experience.
It's hard working full time and trying to study too but think positively!
Loubelle87
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for your replies.

I used the assessment calculator to try and see what my score will be for this module and it looks as if it will most likely be a grade 3 pass (which I understand is the equivalent to a 2:2). I feel really rubbish about it as this is my second level 2 module which I will have got a grade 3 pass in. I haven't done the exploring psychology project yet (which I will do next year) and I have another level 2 module to do before I move onto my level 3s. I'm not sure if that will help me to get up to a 2:1 or not. I need to get at least 71% on the last TMA for any shot of getting a 2:1 and I don't think I will get that.

The exam is in two weeks and I feel like I want to blow my average sized brains out!
Shokz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Loubelle I started studying towards the Bsc Psychology degree at OU part time in 2012, I was about 3/4 way through my Level 2 modules before I stopped earlier this year. For all the modules I got a 2:2 barring one, which I got a 2:1. The way I was doing, I think I may have finished with a 2:2.

I gathered results from all these psychology modules, put them on a ucas application, recieved 3 out of 5 offers from universities to study Bsc Honours Psychology. I am now going to Liverpool in September to study Bsc Honours Psychology. Im 23 years old btw. This is the route I have taken - If you took the same route - you get a chance to get that 2:1. Its an option but I'm not sure thats possible, as you said you have a full time job, making wedding plans, and also it would be pricey going to uni.

Stick at it. Destroy your level 3 modules, and you can get 2:1. I remember messing around with that assessment calculator aswell, and basically if you do really well on both your Level 3 modules - you will achieve a 2:1 Grade. Level 3 modules are the most important ones.
Shokz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

Thanks

Louise
I'll quote you incase you don't get notified. Refer to my above message
Spypaper12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I'm 19 years old, looking to start a psychology course at OU, can you use the credits for UCAS, e.g. applying uni courses after I finish.
Gf2709
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Interested to know what's your situation academically now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.58%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.42%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.33%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (30)
9.4%
Financial worries (22)
6.9%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.52%

Watched Threads