RainReader
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello (am I meant to say hello?)

I can’t seem to decide between firming Royal Holloway or Exeter, and I would really appreciate some advice.

I have an offer from Royal Holloway for English Literature, and I really love the course and the campus there, but I have some concerns about firming it. To begin with they don’t offer Art History in any capacity, and as I have a vague idea of working in a gallery or museum later on if possible, studying this subject alongside English would keep that option open. (However, Royal Holloway does have an Art gallery...). Rhul is also about a five hour drive from where I live, which means coming home occasionally would be rather difficult.

Exeter is closer, but a good distance away, I think. However, whilst this suggests it would be a less daunting prospect I am a little concerned about just being a number and its reputation for being a little cliquey (whatever truth there is in that). I also need another A in order to go to Exeter and whilst I am predicted this I really don’t know how likely it is that I will attain it. The advantage of Exeter is that I could study both English and Art History, and I thought the course talks for each were quite impressive when I visited. I suppose Exeter’s reputation also cannot be discounted. (In the main I think my reasons for firming Exeter sound a little hollow, but I don’t know if that is because I wasn’t really expecting an offer and I’m still getting my head around it.)

In short, what one place offers the other does not, and vice versa.

Thank you very much if you read my nonsense and reply!
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go for Exeter. Reputation-wise I don't think there is very much difference at all between them - in fact I would have put Exeter above Royal Holloway, but I guess it does depend a bit on the subject, I don't know much about humanities subjects...
Anyway, league tables change all the time, and it doesn't matter all that much which uni you go to - what's more important is getting a 2:1 in a relevant subject, doing a range of career-enhancing extracurriculars, getting some work experience/ internships, etc. - and going to a uni you feel more comfortable at will put you in a much better position to achieve these things.
I wouldn't have thought that Exeter would be particularly cliquey - I think that's probably unfounded. Most universities, even those considered really cliquey like Oxbridge, are really not that bad when you get there. You'll easily be able to find a group of people with similar interests where you fit in
The point of having an insurance choice is so you have a back up if you don't make the grades - so don't worry too much about that A. You may find that they will be more flexible on results day anyway
RainReader
Rep:
?
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
Go for Exeter. Reputation-wise I don't think there is very much difference at all between them - in fact I would have put Exeter above Royal Holloway, but I guess it does depend a bit on the subject, I don't know much about humanities subjects...
Anyway, league tables change all the time, and it doesn't matter all that much which uni you go to - what's more important is getting a 2:1 in a relevant subject, doing a range of career-enhancing extracurriculars, getting some work experience/ internships, etc. - and going to a uni you feel more comfortable at will put you in a much better position to achieve these things.
I wouldn't have thought that Exeter would be particularly cliquey - I think that's probably unfounded. Most universities, even those considered really cliquey like Oxbridge, are really not that bad when you get there. You'll easily be able to find a group of people with similar interests where you fit in
The point of having an insurance choice is so you have a back up if you don't make the grades - so don't worry too much about that A. You may find that they will be more flexible on results day anyway
Oh, yes, sorry I meant that Exeter does have a better ranking than Royal Holloway, but reputation probably won't be a deciding factor in my decision anyway.
I agree with you that is probably better to go where you feel most comfortable, but in a way I actually feel I might prefer Royal Holloway as an environment, it just doesn't unfortunately offer History of Art alongside English.
Thank you, though.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
General advice on choosing Firm/Insurance here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices.

If you are still dithering, then look carefully at the course on offer at each Uni - read the detailed optional unit descriptions for all three years of the course and think about what you would actually choose, and why. Its your enthusiasm and interest in what you are actually studying every day that will keep you going for 3 years, get you a good final degree grade - and give you a happy 'student experience'. If you don't like the course it wont matter how 'prestigious' the Uni is supposed to be or how far it is from home.
RainReader
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
General advice on choosing Firm/Insurance here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices.

If you are still dithering, then look carefully at the course on offer at each Uni - read the detailed optional unit descriptions for all three years of the course and think about what you would actually choose, and why. Its your enthusiasm and interest in what you are actually studying every day that will keep you going for 3 years, get you a good final degree grade - and give you a happy 'student experience'. If you don't like the course it wont matter how 'prestigious' the Uni is supposed to be or how far it is from home.
Haha, I know enjoying what you are studying is important, but I think you have to be happy where you are living too!
With regards to the course though, I think that is possibly why I am finding it so hard to decide, because I actually like the courses at both, but for different reasons. I will have another look at the modules on offer though and see if that helps. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
30.16%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.7%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
20.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (3)
4.76%
No - I live at home during term anyway (20)
31.75%

Watched Threads