Biology ARTIFICIAL BLOOD AND HEARTS

Watch
rm_27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What are the advantages and disadvantages of artificial hearts and blood? If you don't mind, please do them separately!

Thank you
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't believe there are artificial blood products.

Artificial hearts - advantages would include - keeping people alive who otherwise not be, allows people to have operations on their heart (heart lung machines etc) etc

Disadvantages - some people would claim it to be against nature and hence morally unjust, others would question the expenditure of using them etc

suzylemonade
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
I don't believe there are artificial blood products.

Artificial hearts - advantages would include - keeping people alive who otherwise not be, allows people to have operations on their heart (heart lung machines etc) etc

Disadvantages - some people would claim it to be against nature and hence morally unjust, others would question the expenditure of using them etc

Erm, there are a lot of arifical blood products. PFCs, saline or haemoglobin bases substitutions. Do you do GCSE?
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by suzylemonade)
Erm, there are a lot of arifical blood products. PFCs, saline or haemoglobin bases substitutions. Do you do GCSE?
Indeed, but they are not artificial blood are they? You don't get artificial platelets, WBC, RBC.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They're blood products. Not blood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
suzylemonade
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
Indeed, but they are not artificial blood are they? You don't get artificial platelets, WBC, RBC.
Indeed. But it was clear that OP mean blood substitutes.
rm_27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ah thank you all, although I have found advantages and disadvantages for both. Also, in the AQA Biology spec it does refer to 'artificial blood'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.31%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (94)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.28%

Watched Threads