The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The most bizarre part is that no one wants to go to them anyway. They're vastly under subscribed and more than half of the girls there are there via the pool, not by choice.
Original post by nexttime
The most bizarre part is that no one wants to go to them anyway. They're vastly under subscribed and more than half of the girls there are there via the pool, not by choice.

As were the last mens' full colleges at Oxford and Cambridge. In days when the numbers applying was not as great as today, it was market forces that drove the colleges to go mixed. What has happened in recent years is that the sheer Cambridge demand for undergradaute places has allowed Newnham and New Hall to remain single sex. Lucy Cavendish is a special case. It really exists to provide equal opportunities to academics. The students are rather incidental.
Original post by nulli tertius
As were the last mens' full colleges at Oxford and Cambridge. In days when the numbers applying was not as great as today, it was market forces that drove the colleges to go mixed. What has happened in recent years is that the sheer Cambridge demand for undergradaute places has allowed Newnham and New Hall to remain single sex.

In my experience at Oxford, it does seem like the college works hard to maintain student satisfaction; puts a not insignificant amount of money into the JCR, the hall, accommodation, open days. Is this just not the case at these colleges then or something? '**** the students we're going to remain single sex anyway'? Is it to do with donors' preferences?
Original post by jamieTT
Are you mother****ing kidding me? Women in the west are more likely to finish high school, attend college, finish college, they have countless female only scholarships and programs, lower standards for being admitted into colleges and jobs, it never ****ing ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Men are doing worse and worse across the board, young women are more educated and are making more money than young men in both US and UK. Yet all we ever heard about is how bad women have it.

What is your degree choice? Because, as I've said 500 times before, every single ****ing time a feminist complains there aren't enough women in well paid STEM degrees/careers it's always someone who did psychology/sociology/medieval studies/english or some other worthless ''female'' Mickey Mouse degree. Well , why didn't you go into petroleum engineering or compsci?

The 'western world' isn't just the US and the UK. Across many parts of Europe, S. America and developed Asia, access to educational opportunities for women and particularly those that lead to high paying careers is still limited compared to men.

I specifically mentioned non-university based education, yet all of your comments above appear to be about access to the upper universities, where, yes, in recent years women have obtained equal access.

Women putting themselves forwards for STEM or computer science, etc, is a different issue - the ways in which boys and girls are encouraged into learning differently at school at a very young age and the messages from the media and society at large all play a part. The obvious proof that this is the case is that girls who go to girls-only schools tend to be much more likely to access those subjects at university than those who don't. They haven't been put off.
Original post by nexttime
In my experience at Oxford, it does seem like the college works hard to maintain student satisfaction; puts a not insignificant amount of money into the JCR, the hall, accommodation, open days. Is this just not the case at these colleges then or something? '**** the students we're going to remain single sex anyway'? Is it to do with donors' preferences?

First of all there is a difference between students' preferences and applicants' preferences. People grow to love their colleges. People who may never of thought of applying for single sex education may leave thinking it is the best thing since sliced bread. St Hilda's went mixed (the last Oxford college) in the teeth of opposition from the students, yet the reason why it was carried (narrowly) in the governing body was the decline in applications. Many of the opponents of change must not have applied there in the first place.

Alumnae and donors are generally opposed to change and in the case of New Hall, Steve and Ros Edwards (she is the alumna) gave £50M which does rather entitle their views to be given some weight.

I think Newnham probably feels so bound up with womens' emancipation that it would be letting the side down to go mixed. Although other womens' colleges were older they are really part of the movement for womens' education. Newnham is associated with the wider movement. At no point would St Hugh's be considered institutionally associated with radical feminism (though Emily Davison was an alumna).

It is probably worth sayingthat Oxbridge has looked after its womens' colleges somewhat better than London. Where are Westfield, Bedford and Queen Elizabeth's? Only Royal Holloway has survived in recognisable form.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Because it's blatantly obvious that if any colleges were still all-male, there'd be cries of sexism, the CUSU Women's Campaign would be using them as evidence of the elitist patriarchy still alive in Cambridge etc etc etc. But when it's women-only colleges, nobody bats an eyelid.

i think an all male golfing club had to allow women in because they were called sexist.
now condaleeza rice is in it
Original post by bottled
i think an all male golfing club had to allow women in because they were called sexist.
now condaleeza rice is in it

Augusta National (which is the American golf club in question) was a golf club without any women members but was not an all male club. It was put under pressure by sponsors of the US Masters.

There are many other golf clubs that are expressly all male including the Royal & Ancient
Augusta National (which is the American golf club in question) was a golf club without any women members but was not an all male club. It was put under pressure by sponsors of the US Masters.

There are many other golf clubs that are expressly all male including the Royal & Ancient

thanks for the clarification!
the worst ever University Challenge score was achieved by New Hall
Both Oxford and Cambridge had mostly single sex colleges at the date the Sex Discrimination Act came into force. Part of the bargain for that act, was that educational institutions could retain their single sex status. Frankly, the legislation would not have passed without it.

Educational market forces sent most Oxbridge colleges mixed. I know the story at Oxford (if you have access to The Times online the story is told briefly in the obituary of John Albery) but I am not so familiar with Cambridge.

When a piece of social reforming legislation is the product of a careful compromise, it is unfair that the rights preserved by that compromise should be abrogated simply because the social reform happened.

If someone had said to Cambridge in 1975 "we will let your single sex colleges remain, but when there are only a few of them left, we will put pressure on the remainder to go mixed", it is perfectly obvious that Cambridge would have told the government to stick their compromise where the sun doesn't shine.

Government ought to keep faith with commitments made.

Was that applicable to government-funded institutions (i.e. state schools and unis) as well as private educational institutions? Genuine question.

If so, then fair enough from a legal point of view. However, I'm quite unable to fathom why 'market forces' i.e. demand would exist for women's-only colleges nowadays.

In terms of ensuring girls get their specific needs addressed and don't have to e.g. share bathrooms with boys, the mixed colleges do this already; see my discussion earlier with Paralove. From a religious/foreign perspective, I was the International Rep for a while on my JCR so I got to meet almost every international student at my college. Even the ones from conservative religious/cultural backgrounds had no problem integrating into and living in a mixed college.

As others have pointed out, it's patently not the case that Newnham/New Hall are oversubscribed; a very large proportion come from the pool (perhaps the most of any college?). So I don't particularly buy the 'market forces' argument. I don't think the existence of such colleges is harmful per se, and I'd never really questioned it before, but they don't seem to serve any purpose and so both for practical considerations and on principle I think they should go mixed.

Edit: and as a piece of wider social commentary, I do think it's very unlikely that a male-only college would not attract intense heat today even if it was fully justifiable on the basis of demand for places. That kind of double standard is not Cambridge's fault of course, but it feeds into my 'on principle' argument.
(edited 9 years ago)
The modern day argument I have heard for female-only colleges (from an american academic familiar with the same sex HE institutions on that side of the pond) is that institutional sexism is still alive and well, and is in fact worse in academia than in many other professions. An all female college lessens removes the institutional sexism and affords women academics the space and resources to succeed, which may be harder to get in a mixed institution. And remember, undergrads form only 1/3 parts of the college, which equally had a responsibility to its postgrads (many of whom are aspiring academics) and to its fellows (working academics).

I don't agree with the argument, because it is in essence, let's ignore the institutional sexism rather than combat it, but I can understand the logic and the desire for a single-sex college.
Reply 51
Original post by blackorchid
I was just on wikipedia and stumbled across a fact that Cambridge has women-only colleges such as Newnham College. :eek:
Isn't that unfair on men? If a woman applies to Cambridge, then doesn't she have a marginally greater chance of being offered a place (through pooling or not) simply because she not only has access to the mixed-sex colleges but the single-sex colleges too?

Can someone please explain to me how it's fair to have women only colleges at Cambridge?

Sorry if I come across as ignorant but I always thought universities tried to champion equality.

Completely agree. There should be no women-only colleges any more, irrespective of their historical significance.
Original post by ClickItBack
Was that applicable to government-funded institutions (i.e. state schools and unis) as well as private educational institutions? Genuine question.

There are single sex comprehensives to this day. Trevelyan at Durham didn't go mixed until 1992. The was a London medical school for women until 1998. There are still a few single sex halls of residence around.

If so, then fair enough from a legal point of view. However, I'm quite unable to fathom why 'market forces' i.e. demand would exist for women's-only colleges nowadays.

You misunderstand. In higher education the market forces ie applicants, were strongly in favour of going mixed as soon as the first colleges did so.

Edit: and as a piece of wider social commentary, I do think it's very unlikely that a male-only college would not attract intense heat today even if it was fully justifiable on the basis of demand for places. That kind of double standard is not Cambridge's fault of course, but it feeds into my 'on principle' argument.

St Benet's in Oxford is barely noticed. Although it has stated an intention to go mixed that won't be before the 2016 intake at the earliest.
There are single sex comprehensives to this day. Trevelyan at Durham didn't go mixed until 1992. The was a London medical school for women until 1998. There are still a few single sex halls of residence around.

Fair enough.

You misunderstand. In higher education the market forces ie applicants, were strongly in favour of going mixed as soon as the first colleges did so.

Yes, that's my point. Demand for the women's only colleges nowadays is low as evidenced by their direct applicant : pool ratio.

St Benet's in Oxford is barely noticed. Although it has stated an intention to go mixed that won't be before the 2016 intake at the earliest.

A quick skim of wiki says that "it is a Benedictine foundation whose principal historic function was to allow its monks to study for secular degrees as undergraduates within the University". That is, it had a purpose in remaining all male. Since "today, most members of the Hall are not monks, but lay undergraduates", it no longer serves that purpose. I presume that's why it is going mixed. Similarly, in my view, Newnham/New Hall no longer serve any purpose in remaining single-sex.

I do take your example of the relatively uncontested existence of St Benet's as an effective amelioration of my 'double standards' critique, however :wink:.
i'm sexist and i know it
Reply 55
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The 'western world' isn't just the US and the UK. Across many parts of Europe, S. America and developed Asia, access to educational opportunities for women and particularly those that lead to high paying careers is still limited compared to men.

I specifically mentioned non-university based education, yet all of your comments above appear to be about access to the upper universities, where, yes, in recent years women have obtained equal access.

Women putting themselves forwards for STEM or computer science, etc, is a different issue - the ways in which boys and girls are encouraged into learning differently at school at a very young age and the messages from the media and society at large all play a part. The obvious proof that this is the case is that girls who go to girls-only schools tend to be much more likely to access those subjects at university than those who don't. They haven't been put off.

I'm romanian and in my country 3/4 of judges are women, most lawyers are women, probably most doctors as well and I can't remember the last time I've seen a male notary public or pharmacist. Most of the jobs I mentioned are extremely lucrative. I know women in my family/friends circle who are engineers, surgeons, notaries or big ass managers for Marlboro. All my maths/physics teachers were women up to 12th grade and even uni had plenty. Girls also go into hard sciences a lot more than in the much more gender equal Western Europe. You know who was chief architect for that nightmare of a building that's the second largest in the world and was in charge of 700 hundred other architects involved in the project? A woman. Girls have every opportunity they could wish for and then some. Yet gender roles are still very strong here and religion/tradition/family is much more important than in the West. Politics is extremely male dominated and most romanians (women included) would not vote for a female or gay president. The media is also a feminist nightmare: emphasizes women's looks and their importance as mothers , pink TV channels for women, housewife commercials almost in the US 1950's style, you name it...It's funny watching a sea of pink when little girls go to or come back from school. Yet the outcomes aren't what you would expect, even with all the social construction factors.

You know why this happens? Because they couldn't make enough money doing feminine jobs like they can in richer countries and the welfare state is not generous enough to support them. It's the same reason India and Iran (awful places to be a woman) have more women in STEM than Sweden or Norway (feminist Shangri-La's). The most gender equal countries in the world have some of the most unequal outcomes. If you give women the chance to do what they love they will take it with both hands. And that's biology at work. Call it hormones, call it wiring, call it the wind... 50 years of feminist lobotomy will not erase eons of evolution.

Now, a lot of people might say that American women are stymied from pursuing their ambitions because of our miserly maternity leave, day care and workplace-flexibility policies. But even women in the world’s most family-friendly countries show little interest in the equality-by-the-numbers ideal. In Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland, according to the OECD, women still work fewer hours and earn less money than men; they also remain a rare sight in executive offices, computer-science classrooms and, though the OECD doesn’t say it I’m willing to bet, philosophy conferences. Sweden, the gold standard of gender equality in many minds, has one of the highest percentages of women working part time anywhere in the world. Equality-by-numbers advocates should be thinking about women’s progress in terms of what women show that they want, not what the spreadsheets say they should want.

http://ideas.time.com/2013/09/04/do-women-really-want-equality/
(edited 9 years ago)
Historical reasons by now.
It will probably change in the future, given that pretty much nobody wants to go there. If so many people want to be in single sex accommodation then they should just make more accommodation single sex. I don't see why that would be a problem.

I wonder if the male to female ratio will change significantly if they do change it. Then you'll have the answer to whether there's a greater chance of getting in for girls now. I always thought they kept it at a very fair 50:50, but I suppose more boys than girls could be worthy of a place.

At the moment, I would have thought girls had a lower chance of getting the college they want. You'd probably have a lot of people up for the change.
Original post by jamieTT
Sexism and discrimination are not only accepted but encouraged as long as they don't apply to women. Welcome to the western world, enjoy your stay!

Except that many women dislike the all women's colleges both in principle and in practise. If you look at the Cambridge statistics you'll see that Newnham and Murray Edwards get most of their students from the pool because the Cambridge standard girls aren't applying there.

Also, they were created because when women were FINALLY allowed to go to university (you know, WAY after men were) men didn't think it was appropriate for women to mix with them because they were "separate" and "other" and didn't belong there.

But I'm sure men had a tough time too.
Reply 59
Original post by TheBigGeek
Except that many women dislike the all women's colleges both in principle and in practise. If you look at the Cambridge statistics you'll see that Newnham and Murray Edwards get most of their students from the pool because the Cambridge standard girls aren't applying there.

Also, they were created because when women were FINALLY allowed to go to university (you know, WAY after men were) men didn't think it was appropriate for women to mix with them because they were "separate" and "other" and didn't belong there.

But I'm sure men had a tough time too.

I know, but it's just an example of men being discriminated against and society/law not giving a ****. Women's only gym hours, pool hours, girls can join boy scouts but boys can't join girl guides, feminists complaing about men's only golf clubs and ignoring women also have their own female only clubs, laws like in Sweden (anything from being interrogated or searched by a woman as an option if you're female while men can't choose to a child being automatically Swedish if his mother is while a man would have to be married with the foreign mother), airlines not allowing men to sit next to unattended children, women not having to pay entry in clubs or getting much lower prices for drinks ....

And this isn't even going into quotas for women in boards and politics, female only scholarships and programs, lower standards for being admitted into colleges and jobs, lenient treatment in the justice system etc etc etc etc. But yeah, women get catcalled, so we're even.

Latest

Trending

Trending