For everyone who's passed and wants a car!

Watch this thread
hexagonalRod
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Yo folks,
It's been quite a few months since I passed (November) woohooo! I have a little bit of moneyz in my pocketz now.

How can I get a car that's cheap to insure
Is auto-trader reliable?

Anyone bought a first car lately? Share your story!
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
May I advise on what not to get?

Don't get a Citroen C1. Though they are cheap to buy, maintain and insure and are uber-economical, there is a design fault in the vehicle which means that they let water in and essentially go mouldy inside and get some serious rust issues... Also, the build quality and ride are awful.
BritBoyWonder
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hexagonalRod)
Yo folks,
It's been quite a few months since I passed (November) woohooo! I have a little bit of moneyz in my pocketz now.

Is auto-trader reliable?

Anything Jap mate
hexagonalRod
Rep:
(Original post by BritBoyWonder)
Anything Jap mate

I am looking into getting a Polo 1.2... Jap cars just.. aren't fun driving... Their clutch is too light
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I am looking into getting a Polo 1.2... Jap cars just.. aren't fun driving... Their clutch is too light
Don't generalise on issues like the clutch, your own experience is probably car specific related. Clutch wears out over time in every car.

Got a Polo 1.2, decent enough, though do check the car thoroughly, every car you can like properly, making sure everything works, test drive, accelerate, harsh braking, over a speed bump. Check paper work thoroughly, exhaust when the engine is revved and engine bay.

Polo has a few general issues, engine management light due a fault lamba sensor which can be expensive, rust around the wheel area, and the suspension in particular because it is quite soft in the 02-05 model, might have gone on to the 05-09 model which is mainly aesthicately different.

If your on a budget and still want a polo, consider a Skoda Fabia which is based on the polo and is a VAG car.

With insurance just look around, I tend to get more luck with confused.com strangely, though check different times of the week, month and day as prices can differ greatly and save you money. The weirdest car can be cheap which may have a bigger engine, etc. Though do consider other costs like car permits, tax, maintenance costs, etc.

I found mine advertised on Ebay then found it on gumtree as well, but got it eventually. Just got to be smart when looking, you go to their house, invited in to check paperworks, no meeting spots, etc
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yo folks,

Is auto-trader reliable?

Car wise- just dont get a ford ka whatever you do.
Auto trader is pretty good at looking at cars. Also find local garages in your area and look on their websites to see what they have.
Then get insurance quotes for different cars to see which cars are cheaper to insure for you. Its no use getting a car, then finding out that the insurance for you for that type of car is more expensive.
Company wise- just try every company you can think of.
hexagonalRod
Rep:
Thank you everybody
IntriguedUser
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Get it checked over, search the internet for common problems on a specific model of car your interested in.

When I brought my first car when I was 18, I went to eastbourne from London, didn't check the oil, the lights, it turned on didn't make any funny noise so I gave em them money in excitement lol

Although I got lucky make sure you check it over
Logic_19
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Why don't you get golf 1.6 or a Honda jazz
tashapeak
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Renault Megane 2 is a pretty cool car and it'd pretty cheap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Logic_19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tashapeak)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes quite true and there fun to drive
flossicles
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I have a 58 plate Toyota Yaris SR and I have to say that it's the best all rounder for me. It's absolutely amazing on fuel, provided you drive economically you can get up to 50mpg which means you aren't guzzling petrol ) it's reliable, a lovely car to drive, very quick and makes manoeuvring a dream for someone who is awful at parking like me, easy to maintain and has a really good use of space on the inside. Build quality is brilliant. My friends love my car! Found it on autotrader and haven't looked back since getting rid of my ka.

With vw polos etc you pay for the extras like electric windows and air con, when ideally you want those things included. Find something that is safe and reliable. All depends on your budget to be honest but cars have really advanced over the years and it shows!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hexagonalRod
Rep:
(Original post by tashapeak)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? It looks really ugly.. I am tilting towards Skoda Fabio. Scandivanian sexiness.

PS What made you choose such a kinky name on TSR
shaymarriott
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Really? It looks really ugly.. I am tilting towards Skoda Fabio. Scandivanian sexiness.

PS What made you choose such a kinky name on TSR
1. It's a Skoda Fabia.

2. It's owned by VW, and essentially a polo underneath. Not Scandinavian. Just a cheaper Polo.
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Volkswagen Lupo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (12)
33.33%