Genius way to weaken UKIP at elections. Watch

demx9
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
UKIP claims that Nattrass’ decision to start the party’s name with the word “An” is a deliberate trick to ensure the new party appears at the top of most ballot papers in the forthcoming European elections.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/...steal-ukip-vot
crayz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Euro election seats are given proportionately so you weaken ukip and give them to another euro sceptic 'party' it makes no difference.
Sunny_Smiles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
is this real?
Solivagant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure I like the name of the An Indepence from Europe's party third member across. Sounds an awful lot like a book I've heard off...
demx9
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Sunny_Smiles)
is this real?
http://www.aipmep.org/
Sunny_Smiles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ah man that's no good - if they're going to be on the ballet that's bound to mislead a lot of people
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thought ballot paper ordering was random and not alphebetical?
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by demx9)
UKIP claims that Nattrass’ decision to start the party’s name with the word “An” is a deliberate trick to ensure the new party appears at the top of most ballot papers in the forthcoming European elections.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/...steal-ukip-vot
Goes to show how much faith UKIP has with the public if they feel that people will not be able to differentiate the two. :laugh:
Sunny_Smiles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Goes to show how much faith UKIP has with the public if they feel that people will not be able to differentiate the two. :laugh:
it's the first column of the ballet with a subsection "UK independence" - not that it will mislead very many people but this is very likely to mislead at least some people; it would be like having the first position of the ballet "a green party for change" and causing some green party voters to vote for them instead based on simply not looking at the ballot knowing that there are now two parties with extremely similar names. it is obviously an obstacle for another party's claim for a recognised name/association, surely?
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Might have worked a couple of years ago but I don't think UKIP has much less name recognition than the big three at this point. Lib Dems, BNP, Labour, etc. have been facing similarly-named minor parties in most constituencies for a long time now and they never poll much.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely this is irrelevant? Assuming that this party isn't actually pro-EU and trying to hurt UKIP isn't it an equivalent vote in a proportional system?
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well one article about this pointed out that the Lib Dems lost an election once because of another party (most likely a single person) called the Literal Democrats. Enough people voted for that instead of the Lib Dems that another party won (I think it was Labour).
brap man 420
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Well one article about this pointed out that the Lib Dems lost an election once because of another party (most likely a single person) called the Literal Democrats. Enough people voted for that instead of the Lib Dems that another party won (I think it was Labour).
If this was funded by a political party, or a member or anyone who is open about the political party they support, they should be fined (as should the party) and put in jail for undermining democratic procedure.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brap man 420)
If this was funded by a political party, or a member or anyone who is open about the political party they support, they should be fined (as should the party) and put in jail for undermining democratic procedure.
There are now laws in place to prevent it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registr...rties_Act_1998

Remains to be seen whether or not "An Independence from Europe" party is breaching this law.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In one constituency a party called the Literal Democrats gained 10,000 from the Liberal Democrats. The public is that stupid. Looks like someone beat me to this (by two days).
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
In one constituency a party called the Literal Democrats gained 10,000 from the Liberal Democrats. The public is that stupid. Looks like someone beat me to this (by two days).
Tis' true: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...Elections_1997
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (33)
7.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (262)
58.88%
No (150)
33.71%

Watched Threads