This discussion is closed.
Ral
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Just out of interest, how many people here actually believe in or follow the religion of christianity from which Easter originates?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
Just out of interest, how many people here actually believe in or follow the religion of christianity from which Easter originates?
We do live in a Christian country you know. Anyway, you can count me in.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Easter isn't a Christian festival - Eostre was celebrated by Pagans before Christianity spread to this country, the Christians just copied it.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
We do live in a Christian country you know. Anyway, you can count me in.
that hardly means that it is widely believed in.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
that hardly means that it is widely believed in.
It's believed enough to be celebrated.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
It's believed enough to be celebrated.
It's believed enough to have a holiday and buy chocolate eggs, if that's what you mean.
Ral
Does anyone else think that religions we follow now, originally came from one basic idea which has evolved into many different forms along with the human race.
If you look at most religions then you can see that there is a connection between them in someway or another.
Ral
Well if we believe in the christian solution that everyone originated from adam and eve, they must have been the source,
but how would other religions come off that because all they would be taught would be christianity.
However if we came from wierd little squiggy things into the humans we are now who invented the first religion?
Was it god?
HasanB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
No, there was never one "true" religion from which all the main religions we have today came from. Muslims who argue their religion goes back to Adam propose this idea.

As for the similarities between religions separated between time and space, this may well be caused by archetypal patterns in the unconscious, shared by humans on a collective level, autonomously that project such symbolic myths.

Just as certain behavioural patterns are built into the subconscious - eg the desire to mate - so too such images are also in the subconscious. See Plato and Jung for a better explanation.
wow gnostic im impressed !! this is your most unbiased or un anti islamic hate filled post so far .. well done there dont mean to sound cocky m8 but just thats its better to be diplomatic yeah ?
Ral
yes but who created the unconscious?
Ral
But why do so many people belive in things no-one can prove!
is it a need for security- something that tells us what happens after we die. a faint hope to cling onto that this is not just it.
Ral
ok so moving away from the thinking religion part into the actually physical side of religion.
why do you mostly get old people going to church????
is this because of lonelyness?
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
Not I.
Ral
do you believe in any form of religion?
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
do you believe in any form of religion?
yes.
Ral
i can't decided yet what to believe. i think is shall take the bits i like out of each religion and invent a new one. i shall call it Raligion
Ral
Open to suggestions
what are ur favourite bits of religions i may consider them to be part of Raligion.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
Open to suggestions
what are ur favourite bits of religions i may consider them to be part of Raligion.
Well i am jewish, so Bar/Bat mitzvah's,Hanukah(i cant spell it), The high holidays...
Ral
i shall certainly consider your suggestion. personally i like christmas but it does have a downside in the part that i have to see my gran.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ral)
i shall certainly consider your suggestion. personally i like christmas but it does have a downside in the part that i have to see my gran.
what wrong with seening her?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (160)
19.37%
Labour (420)
50.85%
Liberal Democrats (111)
13.44%
Green Party (46)
5.57%
Brexit Party (12)
1.45%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.73%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)