The Student Room Group

Deterioration in exam season

I'm in my final year of A-Levels and have taken over two months off (each month separately) for two major surgeries. This has caused me a lot of anxiety and stress with being behind and alongside my complex mental health difficulties and autism, i'm in a lot of trouble.

This easter i had a depressive episode and was incredibly suicidal/depressed, i ended up being seen by my doctor every 3 days and only given my tablets for those 3 days incase i ODed. I went away for a week (as instructed) and felt a lot better away from all these stressors but now i'm back home and meant to be back at college it's all come back. I saw my CAMHS psychiatrist and she's told me i'm not to go to college. My mum is now in charge of all my medication and i'm essentially like a lame lamb. I cannot do a thing.

It's obvious i'm not coping and i cannot cope, but what happens about my exams? I cant sit them, thinking about sitting them causes my stress levels to sky rocket and makes everything 10000% worse. Diazapam isn't touching the level of stress i'm feeling.

But what happens to the exams i'm sitting, do i fail them? Do i get my grades awarded? I'm trying to look into it but it seems nobody else has been in this situation. I know exams are a month and a half away but there is no way i'm going to get what i could. I'd be surprised if i even managed an E in any of them. College have no idea what the exam boards would do and neither do CAMHS.

Has anybody got any clue on what happens to exams if i'm not well enough to attend college/the exams? My psychiatrist says they can provide evidence that i'm not well enough but i dont know what happens. Help please
Sorry to hear you are in such a low state, I would definitely suggest to ask your psych and gp to write a letter explaining the circumstances and hopefully they will understand. But remember in a couple of weeks stress of exams will be gone. You can do this!
If you ever want help with your subjects just give me or someone on tsr a bell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I know exams are a month away but i know my mental state will only deteriorate more if i am in college/thinking about exams. I've pretty much given up entirely on college and i dont think i'll be going back/doing my a levels.

Will the exam boards award me my grades if i have doctors letters saying im not well enough to sit the exams? Or will they see a mental health problem as 'manageable' and see that i should have done the exams

Quick Reply

Latest