This discussion is closed.
angietash
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've been vegetarian as long as I can remember, I like animals (alive, that is). I believe if people knew how meat animals are reared and slaughtered, most would have a pretty hard time eating meat. I've seen pigs born, grow up, taken to market, and come back with their organs in a bowl. Their death is not painless, and the animals KNOW they are going to die, they scream like anything. Eating meat is being encouraging this cruelty.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have been a veggie for 7 years now and I am very carefull about what I eat. If you can justify eating meat to yourself then that is fine really I don't have a problem with it I just personally can't do it. The thing that bugs me are when people sit their and see piglets on the TV and say awww how sweet ect while hapily tucking into a ham sandwich. If just think people have to be more aware and comfatable with where the meat comes from and not try and kid themselves that animals haven't died for them to eat that piece of meat.
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
this is a generalisation, but my problem with veggies is that when you go to their house, they cook you veggie and you have to eat bean salad or sth like that.. they dont go cooking you meat. but when they come round yours you have to cook them veggie as well as your own meal. When im at a veggies house i feel like saying "sorry, i dont eat beans, im a carnivore!" ..and although it may seem cruel i feel like cooking them a big steak when they come round mine since they dont do me the courtesy when im at theirs... any thoughts?
angietash
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
this is a generalisation, but my problem with veggies is that when you go to their house, they cook you veggie and you have to eat bean salad or sth like that.. they dont go cooking you meat. but when they come round yours you have to cook them veggie as well as your own meal. When im at a veggies house i feel like saying "sorry, i dont eat beans, im a carnivore!" ..and although it may seem cruel i feel like cooking them a big steak when they come round mine since they dont do me the courtesy when im at theirs... any thoughts?
Shouldn't this be a case of 'live and let live' or 'I'll respect your beliefs if you respect mine'? Surely you can go one meal without eating animal flesh, and it is unfair to expect your guests to be forced to eat meat. For vegetarians eating not eating meat is a choice, you don't choose to only eat meat.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
<giggle> Yeah, but they might not liking touching/cooking/smelling meat. You could always get a hot dog on the way home...

(Original post by randdom)
The thing that bugs me are when people sit their and see piglets on the TV and say awww how sweet ect while hapily tucking into a ham sandwich.
That's why I don't eat lamb (plus, I don't like the taste). Pigs, cows, turkeys, chickens etc. I know I could kill so I'm happy eating them.

On a side note, my dentist said that "teeth like to be coated" and said that he can tell the difference between a vegetarian and an omnivore by their teeth (he says that veggie teeth aren't as healthy).
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The teeth thing all depends on what you eat. My teeth are perfectly healthy and I am a vegitarian I think it all depends on the the person.
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
I took up someone's idea in the fox hunting debate.... Go ahead and post any views you have on vegetarianism.... No doubt it will end up in bickering, but who cares?!
God gave us these pointy teeth for a reason, and it wasn't to suck on turnips. Biologically, we were designed to pounce on those poor creatures under us in the food chain, and who's to deny biology?
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah, in reply to pres's point i think it's not very fair to expect a vegetarian to cook you something meaty. it would be different if you were actually a carnivore, and couldn't or wouldn't eat fruit or veg or anything un-meaty, but as i'm sure you aren't then i don't think it's so bad to go one meal without a bit of flesh!
my teeth are perfectly healthy, but if they weren't then i wouldn't go back to eating meat, i don't think it's as bad as mass animal slaughter.
i don't moan at people for eating meat, i mean, i know how hard it is to give up food that you love, but i do get annoyed when people see little lambs&piglets and are just like 'ohhhh they are so cute!' but they wouldn't care if it was just a piece of meat on their plate. i think some people really need to open up their eyes though, they should think what that piece of meat on their plate used to be, and how it came to be there. if people can live with that and not care, then fine, but i think some people just close their eyes to what's happening, and thats the most annoying thing.
Babygal
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I couldn't go without meat, when the foot and mouth oubreak occured, it was horrid cos i was living on chicken after a while you get sick of that
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sashh)
I hope you didn't have cheese made with rennet? It is cow's stomach after all.

Oh btw do you drink alcohol? most of it is clarified using fish gut.

And don't forget lots of sweets contain geletine - cow's foot.

Not having a go, it's just suprising how many vegetarians eat bits of animal without realising.

LOL remember being told off by a veggie for eating meat, and then she ordered jam roly poly for pudding - she claimed suet wasn't meat.
I eat cheese made with chemical rennet (not cow rennet)
I do not drink alchohol
I do not eat geletinous sweets- and I always check the back of a packet before I try something new
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
God gave us these pointy teeth for a reason, and it wasn't to suck on turnips. Biologically, we were designed to pounce on those poor creatures under us in the food chain, and who's to deny biology?
I don't see you pouncing on the animals you eat. What I have a problem with is the way that the animals are raised and Killed. I wouldn't have a problem with people going out and hunting animals with nothing but their bare hands and teeth but people aren't doing that. That what you are going to have to do to use the biology agument
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't see you pouncing on the animals you eat. What I have a problem with is the way that the animals are raised and Killed. I wouldn't have a problem with people going out and hunting animals with nothing but their bare hands and teeth but people aren't doing that. That what you are going to have to do to use the biology agument
if only people would do that- it would amuse me for life to see merchant bankers hunting in packs, lurking behind bushes, ready to spring on an unsuspecting squirrel
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i'm in agreement rand. everyone goes on about 'its natural to eat meat, if you are a vegetarian you are going against nature' and all that rubbish, but honestly, factory farms? are they really natural? pah..
Fleffzilla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I eat meat and even I find it sickening the way some animals are bred and killed... I suppose it depends on a person's conscience...
SlipperyWhenWet
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My parents are vegetarians and they brought up all their children on a vegetarian diet. I'm now 18 and I'm just as healthy as all my meat eating mates I'm not someone who preaches about how horrible it is for people to eat meat. I personally feel it is up to the individual.
On a side note though, I have visited an abattoir (I'm going to vet school in September, so was part of my work experience) and whilst I was there, it did make me wonder just how many people would eat meat if they spent a few hours at an abattoir...........
As for having dinner at other people's houses, I'm sure that when omnivores are at a veggies' house they can manage 'one' meal without eating meat!! I've found that most of my mates actually enjoy trying something different for a change
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Did you know camera film, 35mm etc is made from geletine as well?

Oh and what about bread?
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sashh)
Did you know camera film, 35mm etc is made from geletine as well?

Oh and what about bread?
I eat home made bread and I use a digital camera
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
since july last year - for 5 months out of 9 i have been a fruitarian - eating no cooked food and just fruits, nuts, and fresh raw vegetables. For the other months I have been a vegan - i have been a vegetarian since i was about 14 and i am now just over 6ft tall and perfectly well-proportioned at just under 12 stone. I have now been a fruitarian this time round for 2 months running and i have never felt more energetic and healthy. Vegetarianism in general is healthier than eating meat - even chicken (as was recently found) is not fresh in the supermarkets and in fact is put out long time after it was killed - which means you are putting rotting flesh into your body - now as a fruitarian i cant sanction putting junk into my body such as chocolates and crisps and with the amount of chemicals in even vegetarian foods one can only trust in nature
M.M.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's funny how people concerned about animal welfare are so often challenged to think about every possible animal cruelty issue in the world (such as gelatine in camera film etc.). I think a person has only so much time and effort to give to these things so it's better to do something than nothing at all. If you feel strongly about animal welfare in the first place that is. It's true, though, that there's a lot of hypocrisy and preaching among vegetarians.

As for me, no meat or chicken but I do eat fish so I'm by no means hardcore.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by M.M.)
It's funny how people concerned about animal welfare are so often challenged to think about every possible animal cruelty issue in the world (such as gelatine in camera film etc.). I think a person has only so much time and effort to give to these things so it's better to do something than nothing at all. If you feel strongly about animal welfare in the first place that is. It's true, though, that there's a lot of hypocrisy and preaching among vegetarians.

As for me, no meat or chicken but I do eat fish so I'm by no means hardcore.
I didn't mean to accross as down on veggies. As I said in my origional post I've come accross people who preach at me for eating meat but then go and eat something which contains animal produce such as suet pastry, alcohol etc.

OK here's a question for vegetarians, and i am genuinely interested.

Some women eat the placenta of their child, a couple of years ago it was very trendy. It does seem to stop post natal depression and there are questions about cooking it.but..........

Would it be wrong for a vegetarian to eat human placenta?

I mean it is meat but no animal has suffered in obtaining it. (no arguments please about woman being an animal and the suffering of childbirth)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (181)
18.74%
Labour (496)
51.35%
Liberal Democrats (130)
13.46%
Green Party (55)
5.69%
Brexit Party (15)
1.55%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.41%
SNP (15)
1.55%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.41%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.72%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (4)