Report 15 years ago
yeah it's wrong 'coz it's just damn gross. heh :0P
riffraff
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sashh)
Would it be wrong for a vegetarian to eat human placenta?

I mean it is meat but no animal has suffered in obtaining it. (no arguments please about woman being an animal and the suffering of childbirth)
no- the point about being a vegetarian is to stop the suffering of animals and killing them against their will. as nothing has died to produce the placenta, it would be ok for vegetarians to eat it.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If the women wanted to eat the placenta I would have no problem with it because it has come from her and she has chosen to allow it to be eaten. Personally I wouldn't do it but she hasn't died and has chosen to so her choice. It isn't the worst thing some people drink their own urine.
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If people didn't buy and eat meat though all those animals will be wasted. There's nothing wrong with breeding animals for the purpose of food. I would have a problem if people went round killing pets or wildlife to eat it but as the animals fate is pre-determined it's ok.
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i personally think drinking your own urine is worse than eating one's placenta.
Amb1 we aren't telling everyone to be vegetarian, so what do you mean?
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
If people didn't buy and eat meat though all those animals will be wasted. There's nothing wrong with breeding animals for the purpose of food. I would have a problem if people went round killing pets or wildlife to eat it but as the animals fate is pre-determined it's ok.
no they wouldn't- you just would separate the male and female animals, to ensure that no more were bred. then, when the old ones die off, you don't have a large surplus of animals.

how is it morally ok to kill pigs and cows etc. but not to kill dogs? dogs pose a far greater threat to humans than sheep. all animals are equal- just because one happens to be called rover rather than daisy does not make it more deserving of life
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
how is it morally ok to kill pigs and cows etc. but not to kill dogs? dogs pose a far greater threat to humans than sheep. all animals are equal- just because one happens to be called rover rather than daisy does not make it more deserving of life
Sheep are bred to be eaten though. Dogs aren't.
Fleffzilla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
Sheep are bred to be eaten though. Dogs aren't.
They are in some countries...
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I dont' get why it is social acceptable to eat pigs but most people in this country wouldn't eat horses for example what is the difference?
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
But not in this country. If I went to a country that bred dogs to eat I might give it a try, but I disagree with killing and eating animals that are not specifically bred for that purpose.
Fleffzilla
Rep:
?
(Original post by randdom)
I dont' get why it is social acceptable to eat pigs but most people in this country wouldn't eat horses for example what is the difference?
I've eaten horse meat... I didn't know it was at the time though... It was actually really nice....
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thats fair enough but I have spoken to people who have said that eating horse meat is wronge and I personally don't get why it is worse than eating pigs.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
very good point
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
But not in this country. If I went to a country that bred dogs to eat I might give it a try, but I disagree with killing and eating animals that are not specifically bred for that purpose.
why? so you don't eat fish?
Amb1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
why? so you don't eat fish?
Yes I do eat fish, they are bred to be eaten.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Amb1)
Yes I do eat fish, they are bred to be eaten.
you don't eat cod or tuna then?
Fleffzilla
Rep:
?
Most often fish are not bred to be eaten. They are caught from their natural environment to feed us humans. That's why there's a fishing ban on many fish at the moment, because we have over fished the sea... Surely if they were bred to be eaten there wouldn't be a shortage?
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
Most often fish are not bred to be eaten. They are caught from their natural environment to feed us humans. That's why there's a fishing ban on many fish at the moment, because we have over fished the sea... Surely if they were bred to be eaten there wouldn't be a shortage?
true.

this is why salmon (because it is farmed) is now so cheap and readily available.
sashh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How many of you drink milk?

I know the cow that actually produces the milk isn't killed but in order for a cow to produce milk it has to give birth and the calves are then slaughted. So is it OK for a vegetarian to drink milk (eat cheese and other dairy products) because the animal the milk came from didn't die or is it wrong because it's calf did?

Just curious again.
Dill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i drink milk, and i know what happens. that's why i have stated somewhere that i would like to be a vegan sometime, but slowly wean myself onto it. for the moment i feel satisfied that i'm actually doing something to show how i feel. which is more than can be said for some people.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (370)
59.01%
Yes- I don't like it (34)
5.42%
No- I want it (178)
28.39%
No- I don't want it (45)
7.18%

Watched Threads