relationship between electric potential and field strength?

Watch
Mr Tall
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In a past paper question I have been given a graph of electric potential against distance from point.

I have then been asked questions about the electric field strength and they are to be answered using the graph

I am not sure what the relationship between the two are?

Anyone want to to tell me and explain why? Thanks so much
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mr Tall)
In a past paper question I have been given a graph of electric potential against distance from point.

I have then been asked questions about the electric field strength and they are to be answered using the graph

I am not sure what the relationship between the two are?

Anyone want to to tell me and explain why? Thanks so much
Mathematically, electric potential and field strength are connected by the fact that Electric potential, being a measure of work done per unit charge, is found from integrating the value for the electric field. This is because the field gives the force and work done is force x distance.
So if you integrate F (the field strength) wrt distance you get the potential. (Work done.)

So if this is the case, then the reverse is also true.
If you differentiate potential you get the field strength.
This is the origin of field strength is equal to potential gradient.

If you have a graph of potential against distance, the the gradient at any point will be equal to the force or field strength.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.18%
No (80)
52.63%
I don't know (17)
11.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed