The Student Room Group

I don't want to be gay...I just can't be...not sure what to do...

I can't go on this way much longer...

Some background info...

Spoiler

This is killing me inside. Recently I've been looking through the facebooks of the girls who at one point of my life were attracted to me, most of them are now in relationships. Even the ones who aren't, it doesn't matter as I know those ships have sailed. I don't mind too much but I can't help but thinking, what if I wasn't gay, I could maybe be with one of them right now, in a happy relationship, maybe even thinking about marriage in the next few years...but instead they are with someone else (or will be) and here I am, essentially alone (or soon to be), depressed and only able to have sex with men despite wanting it with women.

So that girl I mentioned I had been seeing over the winter, sex was restricted to oral (even as I was getting head I sometimes struggled to stay fully hard). I started getting depressed again so I broke it off and said when I'm feeling better I'd call her. It was one of the hardest things I ever did as I really really liked her. What hurt more is that I knew deep down I would never get 'better'.

Anyway so a couple of weeks ago I called her, she came over and it was basically the same thing all over again and its been like that since.

I haven't felt this way for a woman ever before in my life, I really like her a lot. Every second I spend with her I like her more and more. I'm trying to imagine ending it indefinitely, her getting over me and finding someone else, getting married etc etc while I'll be off somewhere having sex with ****ing horrible ****ing men! It makes me feel so ****ing pathetic!

When I see young couples walking about I always think, 'what if that guy was gay'. Then I'd think of the girl off with another guy, not a care in the world for her 'would have been lover' (all due to a slight chemical difference in the body...probably). And thats how I feel, if I had a tiny tiny difference in my chemical make up, there would be a woman out there right now who I should have been with, who is currently with another man because I ended up gay! It wears me out.

I'm not feeling depressed right now this minute, hopefully it will be kept at bay and under control for a long time, but I know that when this 'relationship' falls apart the depression is coming back. I'm already having some pretty dark thoughts even though I feel relatively good...I am worried when the depression come back these thoughts get magnified and I do something stupid...
You'll find some guy who will come along and take care of you just as much (if not better). :hugs:
According to the Gender Studies subject I did in Uni before, only you can dictate what your gender is, society may not approve it, but in the end, your choice is what matters most.

I actually have a friend who had the exact dilemma before, he LOVES women and wants to be with a woman, but the thing is that the female genitalia just can't give him the satisfaction he wants.

So he decided to go for a pre-op transgender woman (as what you have said). He said that she is a woman to him and loves him more than a biological woman can, but also gives him the satisfaction he's looking for.

They're happily married now :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
From what you've written it doesn't sound like you've ever actually tried having sex with a guy. Maybe you'd have just as much trouble there as you would with a girl, and you're actually straight (or possibly bi) and simply have potency problems? Perhaps you should see a doctor.
Reply 4
Original post by EcstaZEEH
According to the Gender Studies subject I did in Uni before, only you can dictate what your gender is, society may not approve it, but in the end, your choice is what matters most.

I actually have a friend who had the exact dilemma before, he LOVES women and wants to be with a woman, but the thing is that the female genitalia just can't give him the satisfaction he wants.

So he decided to go for a pre-op transgender woman (as what you have said). He said that she is a woman to him and loves him more than a biological woman can, but also gives him the satisfaction he's looking for.

What age is your friend? How did he find it having sex with 'biological women? Well at least I know I'm not alone, though it doesn't take away from the fact that I feel like I've drawn the short straw sexually. I mean even if I can be happy with pre-op transgenders, it doesn't take anything away from the fact that there are considerably less to chose from when looking for a partner...

Nor does it help me get over the fact that I get depressed when I think about what could have been...if I was a plain old, bog standard gay guy, I feel that wouldn't be an issue. So I guess it maybe indicates I'm not gay, but asks the question, maybe it would be better if I was...

Original post by Joyful_soul
You'll find some guy who will come along and take care of you just as much (if not better). :hugs:

To be honest...that's what I'm afraid of. Right now I want to be with this girl, the thought of being with someone else, particularly a male, makes me feel depressed.

But thanks anyway...

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
From what you've written it doesn't sound like you've ever actually tried having sex with a guy. Maybe you'd have just as much trouble there as you would with a girl, and you're actually straight (or possibly bi) and simply have potency problems? Perhaps you should see a doctor.

That is an angle I looked into. But then I have zero issues getting/maintain an erection while masturbating. Which while are completely different things, in terms of impotency surely they are identical? I mean an erection is an erection at the end of the day.

That said you are right, the anxiety could actually be more of an issue than I think and maybe with a guy I would be the same.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bestofyou

Some background info...

Spoiler

This is killing me inside. Recently I've been looking through the facebooks of the girls who at one point of my life were attracted to me, most of them are now in relationships. Even the ones who aren't, it doesn't matter as I know those ships have sailed. I don't mind too much but I can't help but thinking, what if I wasn't gay, I could maybe be with one of them right now, in a happy relationship, maybe even thinking about marriage in the next few years...but instead they are with someone else (or will be) and here I am, essentially alone (or soon to be), depressed and only able to have sex with men despite wanting it with women.

So that girl I mentioned I had been seeing over the winter, sex was restricted to oral (even as I was getting head I sometimes struggled to stay fully hard). I started getting depressed again so I broke it off and said when I'm feeling better I'd call her. It was one of the hardest things I ever did as I really really liked her. What hurt more is that I knew deep down I would never get 'better'.

Anyway so a couple of weeks ago I called her, she came over and it was basically the same thing all over again and its been like that since.

I haven't felt this way for a woman ever before in my life, I really like her a lot. Every second I spend with her I like her more and more. I'm trying to imagine ending it indefinitely, her getting over me and finding someone else, getting married etc etc while I'll be off somewhere having sex with ****ing horrible ****ing men! It makes me feel so ****ing pathetic!

When I see young couples walking about I always think, 'what if that guy was gay'. Then I'd think of the girl off with another guy, not a care in the world for her 'would have been lover' (all due to a slight chemical difference in the body...probably). And thats how I feel, if I had a tiny tiny difference in my chemical make up, there would be a woman out there right now who I should have been with, who is currently with another man because I ended up gay! It wears me out.

I'm not feeling depressed right now this minute, hopefully it will be kept at bay and under control for a long time, but I know that when this 'relationship' falls apart the depression is coming back. I'm already having some pretty dark thoughts even though I feel relatively good...I am worried when the depression come back these thoughts get magnified and I do something stupid...

This to me sounds like you are bisexual but heteromantic. That means you're physically and/or sexually attracted to both sexes but you're only romantically attached to the opposite sex i.e. women, and that's absolutley fine. :yy: The only other possibility I can think of is that you're just very bi-curious, and that's fine too. Don't beat yourself up for having a potential interest in men. They aren't that horrible btw. :smile:

But at the end of the day, only YOU can define your sex, gender and sexuality. Society can get stuffed. I define myself as pansexual and transsexual, (and I wouldn't be surprised if all of TSR knew this by now :rolleyes:), and even though coming out scares me, I'm still proud and you should be too. :yep:

Just try it out with men and see how you like it. There's nothing to lose, (except possibly your anal virginity :lol:), and it'll help you work it all out. In the meantime, about the losing-the-erection-thing, what about healthy eating and exercise? I dunno, it's supposed to heighten your libido or something. :dontknow: Sorry if I'm not much help. :frown:

Anyway, do not be emotionally conflicted with your sexuality or let it get you depressed or get in the way of your life. Good luck in working out what you are and I hope it all turns out OK. :hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Perhaps you just have erectile dysfunction?
What age is your friend? How did he find it having sex with 'biological women? Well at least I know I'm not alone, though it doesn't take away from the fact that I feel like I've drawn the short straw sexually. I mean even if I can be happy with pre-op transgenders, it doesn't take anything away from the fact that there are considerably less to chose from when looking for a partner...

Nor does it help me get over the fact that I get depressed when I think about what could have been...if I was a plain old, bog standard gay guy, I feel that wouldn't be an issue. So I guess it maybe indicates I'm not gay, but asks the question, maybe it would be better if I was...

He was 21 when he had the problem, he's 26 now. Like the other poster said, don't beat yourself because of this, you need to learn how to be comfortable with yourself.

Don't let the idea of gender, dictated by the society, affects you - it will just ruin your happiness.

Try to be alone for awhile, assert yourself. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try being with a dude and if you feel nothing then you're probably straight. Also you might be interested in only romantic relationships not sexual
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm really confused, why do you think you are gay? Clearly you aren't attracted to men romantically, and it doesn't seem like you are attracted to guys sexually either.

Anyway feel free to PM me if you want to talk about your feelings, I've been there, done that. :smile:
Just think so many people are in similar situations. Just take it step at a time. Trust me there are much much worse things ln life than your sexuality :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This sounds exactly like my story and honestly the more you try and force it the worse you feel, after I just accepted I was gay it was such a relief, it gets worse before it gets better trust me but when it gets better it truly does

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went through 7 years of emotional trauma till I finally came out to myself. If you are gay, and even if you aren't, don't let society dictate what's right or feel scared to be you. For 7 years I strongly believed that my attraction to the same sex was just a fixation of my mind and I forced myself to try to be straight. Thinking about it now, I knew that I was gay but I was so truly afraid of what would happen if I came out that I closeted myself and my anxiety worsened etc. This went on till last September.

Then I talked to my friend and we had a huge talk in which I confessed all that I was feeling and she made me realise how silly I was for feeling so afraid. I knew I wasn't straight, I wasn't going to change so why keep on torturing myself? I came out eventually, everyone was incredibly accepting and I feel 1000x better now. :smile:

So if you do feel you are gay then let yourself be. You'll find yourself feeling much happier and less anxious. There's someone out there waiting for you and when you do find that person, it won't matter which gender he/she will have. There's no rush to discover who you really are. Give it time, find your place and when you're sure about who you are, smile, because I'm sure you're awesome either way :^_^:
(edited 9 years ago)
You're worrying about it too much and thinking a certain physical reaction automatically labels you as being gay or not. That's not the way sexual attraction works. Even the gayest of people in the olden days were perfectly capable of finding a wife and having sex with her, so it's obviously not homosexuality that's causing you to lose your erections.

It's nerves.

And you're creating the problem for yourself with all this rubbish about thinking you're gay.
#firstworldproblems

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
He was 21 when he had the problem, he's 26 now. Like the other poster said, don't beat yourself because of this, you need to learn how to be comfortable with yourself.

Don't let the idea of gender, dictated by the society, affects you - it will just ruin your happiness.

Try to be alone for awhile, assert yourself. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP doesn't seem to be confused about his gender...
Reply 16

What was he looking for?
Reply 17

Some background info...

Spoiler

Everybody replying with their right minded liberal attitudes towards gender and sexuality, which is 100% fine, I'm pretty liberal myself.

But nobody has asked whether or not you sought professional consultation for what you describe as anxiety? That sounds like your main complaint here. Maybe talk to your GP? If there's underlying stress, anxiety or depression I'd imagine that would affect your libido.

Maybe you are just gay. Which is fine. But if that's stressing you out than maybe the support and advice of a proper professional would be of benefit anyway?

Either way, best of luck man.
instead of fussing over whether you are straight, bi or gay why not go and see your doctor and tell him you have trouble maintaining an erection when nervous? Masturbation is different as you don't feel nervous then. They will have heard it all before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending